LinkBack Thread Tools
(#11 (permalink))
Old
noodle (Offline)
Wo zhi dao ni ai wo

07-22-2008, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul11 View Post
Yes and no. Enough fear and hassle and we could make stuff again. American's usually don't do anything till the last moment, then get off thier duffs and get the job done. The relationship between China and the U.S. is symbiotic. They get many of thier raw materiels from us, we buy thier stuff, they provide it. We can't do without each other in the global economy. We could make stuff if pushed so far, but we buy a huge percentage of what they sell. They need us.
Yeah, I agree, it's like a love hate relationship. But what I'm saying, is that it'd have to reach a point of almost poverty for the US to start producing things like the Chinese do. Labour would cost far too much if the US wanted to produce things. As for Raw materials, I must admit. I don't, didn't know that China got them from the US, all I knew, was that the US injects a percentage of money into the Chinese economy through the products they buy. But without the US, China still has lots of other countries. Take the UK for example. There was a program on recently where they showed what a household would look like without chinese products. The average family would be left with NOTHING. I knew that a lot of things were "Made in China", but I was seriously shocked to see that an average folk, middle class, had absolutely nothing. It's pretty much the same in most European countries, and pretty much any country that isn't a third world country (Talking about consumer goods, not army related etc).
(#12 (permalink))
Old
Paul11 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-22-2008, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noodle View Post
Yeah, I agree, it's like a love hate relationship. But what I'm saying, is that it'd have to reach a point of almost poverty for the US to start producing things like the Chinese do. Labour would cost far too much if the US wanted to produce things. As for Raw materials, I must admit. I don't, didn't know that China got them from the US, all I knew, was that the US injects a percentage of money into the Chinese economy through the products they buy. But without the US, China still has lots of other countries. Take the UK for example. There was a program on recently where they showed what a household would look like without chinese products. The average family would be left with NOTHING. I knew that a lot of things were "Made in China", but I was seriously shocked to see that an average folk, middle class, had absolutely nothing. It's pretty much the same in most European countries, and pretty much any country that isn't a third world country (Talking about consumer goods, not army related etc).
Yeah it's scary. Conservatives are railing against that right now. I don't think it will get to povertyy level to change. There is a whole worker-immigrant-caste in the states that would manufacture rather than garden and clean. I know how bad that sounds, but the world isn't always pretty.

Also, lately I see more things made in other countries. When The standard of living rises in China and they demand more pay at our factories the companies will move the manufacturing to more viable locations. Maritaunia, mexico, sout asia. If central and south Africa get thier act together politically and make it safe for business venture that would be a super cheap place to build factories.

I'm nervous as well, but there may be options in the future and I must stay positive.
(#13 (permalink))
Old
Kai13 (Offline)
あゆ

Send a message via Skype™ to Kai13
07-22-2008, 09:39 AM

I want china to become a superpower since I will graduate in mandarin and want to have a job (if not in Japan).

自分のブログ!
見てみてください。
(#14 (permalink))
Old
Paul11 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-22-2008, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai13 View Post
I want china to become a superpower since I will graduate in mandarin and want to have a job (if not in Japan).
I hope you enjoy becoming enriched as a great threat imerils the freedom and sovereignty of people in free nations across the globe.
(#15 (permalink))
Old
noodle (Offline)
Wo zhi dao ni ai wo

07-22-2008, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul11 View Post
Yeah it's scary. Conservatives are railing against that right now. I don't think it will get to povertyy level to change. There is a whole worker-immigrant-caste in the states that would manufacture rather than garden and clean. I know how bad that sounds, but the world isn't always pretty.

Also, lately I see more things made in other countries. When The standard of living rises in China and they demand more pay at our factories the companies will move the manufacturing to more viable locations. Maritaunia, mexico, sout asia. If central and south Africa get thier act together politically and make it safe for business venture that would be a super cheap place to build factories.

I'm nervous as well, but there may be options in the future and I must stay positive.
Yeah, you're right. Chinese are getting a better standard of living, so factory work is changing countries... Much like Japan. Just after the Word War, most things were manufactured in Japan; now look at where it is.
As for Africa, that place is doomed for all eternity. Sounds harsh, but people are way too divided due to colonisation, and just generally getting abused by foreigners, and not to even mention the corruption of governments. The mentality of Africans will never put them forward in the world. At least not in my lifetime. It's sad, because my home land is part of this.
(#16 (permalink))
Old
Paul11 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-22-2008, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noodle View Post
Yeah, you're right. Chinese are getting a better standard of living, so factory work is changing countries... Much like Japan. Just after the Word War, most things were manufactured in Japan; now look at where it is.
As for Africa, that place is doomed for all eternity. Sounds harsh, but people are way too divided due to colonisation, and just generally getting abused by foreigners, and not to even mention the corruption of governments. The mentality of Africans will never put them forward in the world. At least not in my lifetime. It's sad, because my home land is part of this.

Yes, that's what I tend to think. But I try to stay positive for Africa. It's a pit, but I don't want to feel like a privelidged, racist westerner who believes Africans cannot eventually pull themselves up by thier bootstraps. I see countries like Mali and think there is some hope.
(#17 (permalink))
Old
Ronin4hire (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

07-22-2008, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
China has no interest in making the world a better place.

China is more populated than America, but certainly not as influential.

Is China doing things to make the world a better place? To be honest, no. They are desperately trying to make the country ready for the Olymipics in three weeks, so they have banned car-usage on thier citizens until the Olympics are over. Have you ever heard of that before?
Is there an expectation on China to make the world a better place? I don't think so.

As for the car ban.... Sure the scale of it is unprecedented but where's the controversy? My city council blocks off streets when it needs to also for whatever reasons.
(#18 (permalink))
Old
Paul11 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-22-2008, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin4hire View Post
Is there an expectation on China to make the world a better place? I don't think so.

As for the car ban.... Sure the scale of it is unprecedented but where's the controversy? My city council blocks off streets when it needs to also for whatever reasons.
The Chinese regime controls all kinds of rediculous stuff -How many children you can have, building dams that displace millions, fate of Tibet, fate of Hong Kong, saftey of Taiwan - the list goes on.

Last edited by Paul11 : 07-22-2008 at 11:58 AM.
(#19 (permalink))
Old
JoshAussie (Offline)
わかりません

07-22-2008, 11:53 AM

this has been somewhat re assuring, being Australian we look to our Older brother (whatever you wana call it) America for protection, or atleast i think we do. I mean we dont have any nuclear weapons or a massive army. im not old enough to have experienced such a big world thing like this, i cant imagine what the world wars were like. and im not educated enough to know all the things that happen when things like this happen, trade is one example. i read somehwere the other day china just made a free trade contract or something with NZ and was currently negotiating with Australia about the same thing.. i duno exactly what that means.

i guess to me because i dont know its coming accross as slowly leaving Americas pocket and being put into Chinas.

oh yeah were in pretty good with the UK too right? pretty sure we are haha
(#20 (permalink))
Old
Paul11 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-22-2008, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshAussie View Post
this has been somewhat re assuring, being Australian we look to our Older brother (whatever you wana call it) America for protection, or atleast i think we do. I mean we dont have any nuclear weapons or a massive army. im not old enough to have experienced such a big world thing like this, i cant imagine what the world wars were like. and im not educated enough to know all the things that happen when things like this happen, trade is one example. i read somehwere the other day china just made a free trade contract or something with NZ and was currently negotiating with Australia about the same thing.. i duno exactly what that means.

i guess to me because i dont know its coming accross as slowly leaving Americas pocket and being put into Chinas.

oh yeah were in pretty good with the UK too right? pretty sure we are haha

Free trade pacts usually include agreements not to tariff each other's goods. Are you planning to go to college? A thinking, patriotic young man such as yourself should join the military for a spell. Help your country, democracy and learn about these types of things.