(#331 (permalink))
Old
Sinestra (Offline)
ショ ン

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
09-16-2009, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by komitsuki View Post
More like you didn't understand me in the first place. You're too optimist. That's a very bad thing.
Your using the word me a lot. No i try and understand you which is why i keep communicating with you, but you don't try to understand my perspective at all. Iv taken the time to research interesting POV that you bring up because im not single minded in my pursuits im willing to accept other POV even if in the end i disagree with them. However, we have an age old problem one side willing to to understand the other and the other is not willing. I have a very large network of international friends and colleagues with whom i have discussed the very issues we talk about here and i have done so for the past 15 years, through Uni and well afterwards as well.

Im not optimistic to fault, Im just not negative about everything in this world. The statement can go both ways you're too negative that a very bad thing. You act as if im picking on you and im not.

(#332 (permalink))
Old
akinkhoo (Offline)
New to JF

09-16-2009, 04:37 PM

Asia and China's Rise as world leading powers has nothing to do with government nor politic, it would come to being simply because of hardworking people:

"If there is a secret to Asian growth, it is simply deferred gratification, the willingness to sacrifice current satisfaction for future gain." -Paul Krugman (1995)

no one on this planet can dispute the simply fact that Asian like Japanese and Chinese are willing to work and save for their future. it is the people that decide the fate of the world, I find it stupid how you guys are arguing over politic which has little to do with the success of Asia.

the implication of Paul's statement has a profound effect on our understanding of US weakness. US is not a poor country, why can't it invest in it future as heavily as Asian countries? the reason is as stated: the people think of only today's benefit. if American as large private saving, the banks would be able to fund all the investment, instead today's US bank make their profit by borrowing from the government to loan to American for profit. the fact that US banks are making a killing this year due to increase in interest rate for debt is just a sad reality of the shape the US economy is in.

it also means it is easy for them to fix their problem, all they have to do is do what Asian do and start saving!
(#333 (permalink))
Old
tksensei (Offline)
JF Old Timer

09-16-2009, 04:57 PM

If Americans started saving a lot right now the economy would completely tank and take down China and the rest of the world with it. Everything in moderation.
(#334 (permalink))
Old
Sinestra (Offline)
ショ ン

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
09-16-2009, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by akinkhoo View Post
Asia and China's Rise as world leading powers has nothing to do with government nor politic, it would come to being simply because of hardworking people:

"If there is a secret to Asian growth, it is simply deferred gratification, the willingness to sacrifice current satisfaction for future gain." -Paul Krugman (1995)

no one on this planet can dispute the simply fact that Asian like Japanese and Chinese are willing to work and save for their future. it is the people that decide the fate of the world, I find it stupid how you guys are arguing over politic which has little to do with the success of Asia.

the implication of Paul's statement has a profound effect on our understanding of US weakness. US is not a poor country, why can't it invest in it future as heavily as Asian countries? the reason is as stated: the people think of only today's benefit. if American as large private saving, the banks would be able to fund all the investment, instead today's US bank make their profit by borrowing from the government to loan to American for profit. the fact that US banks are making a killing this year due to increase in interest rate for debt is just a sad reality of the shape the US economy is in.

it also means it is easy for them to fix their problem, all they have to do is do what Asian do and start saving!
Though i disagree with some portions of your post and its really not as simple as you have made it out to be (saving is good but not for America right now), i do agree with the direction. You support my statement about change not from a political POV but by human standards. Hardwork pays off that is a fact but its not what we are arguing over. Our mindsets and our perception of the world is what we are arguing over.

Ronin4hire and myself tend to think of the problems of the world globally not region specific and not total governments or culturally based, basically humanity as whole needs to change its perspective. Komitsuki tends to think in terms that are more cultural based and region specific hence our discussion over East and West. You see the problem

Last edited by Sinestra : 09-16-2009 at 05:05 PM.
(#335 (permalink))
Old
akinkhoo (Offline)
New to JF

09-16-2009, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tksensei View Post
If Americans started saving a lot right now the economy would completely tank and take down China and the rest of the world with it. Everything in moderation.
are you suggesting US is spending in moderation?

excessive spending would only cause another bubble. US must invest in it's future, spending money on products without investing would only widen the import export gap. the textbook economic simply does not account for the complexity of international trade. keynesian works by public investment, not spending, this is the mistake that is being made.
(#336 (permalink))
Old
tksensei (Offline)
JF Old Timer

09-16-2009, 06:47 PM

If Americans started saving a lot right now the economy would completely tank and take down China and the rest of the world with it.
(#337 (permalink))
Old
Ronin4hire (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

09-16-2009, 09:46 PM

Quote:
I bet you have a lot of criticisms from Edward Said's Orientalism.
No... I have criticisms from myself. Unlike you I can think for myself. But I've read some stuff from Said as well as other people stuff and I agree with a lot of it.

You on the other hand can't think for yourself.

Quote:
No, so I can understand you more.

Other than that, sorry but I can't take you seriously anymore.
I like it how you ignore the fact that I'm actually willing to answer your questions.

You said- Can you please give me your opinion in context with culture
I said- Sure... but you'll have to be more specific. About what do you want me to give my opinion?
You said- I don't take you seriously anymore

You're an idiot.
(#338 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

09-16-2009, 10:01 PM

Insults will not be tolerated here or anywhere on the forums.
(#339 (permalink))
Old
karakhitan (Offline)
New to JF

09-17-2009, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by akinkhoo View Post
That's true. And you know what they say? Asians are too money conscious. They're hiding away all the money and resulting the dryness of the US economy.

Glorious Weather.
(#340 (permalink))
Old
LightningSaix73 (Offline)
New to JF

Send a message via MSN to LightningSaix73
09-17-2009, 01:29 AM

On the whole they have a ways to go in the in USA we have a ratio 6/10 for car ownership, and in china its 2/100. I know cars isn't what makes a country a superpower. However Its a convenience that is worth noting.

Be Happy! Be Happy! \( ^_^)/