JapanForum.com

JapanForum.com (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/)
-   General Discussion (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/general-discussion/)
-   -   Fanfiction Love it or hate it? (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/general-discussion/18232-fanfiction-love-hate.html)

Kandierain15 08-13-2008 05:49 PM

Fanfiction Love it or hate it?

Okay, what I want to know is if you like fanfction or hate it. Even if you don't know what fanfiction is, just ask. xp

Acidreptile 08-13-2008 05:54 PM

I don't care about it.If people want to make fanfictions is alright.

allie2590 08-13-2008 05:54 PM

It really depends on the fanfiction. If it's very poorly written, then I won't like it. I also don't like fanfiction that changes the characters. If the characters have been changed too much, then the author should've just made their own characters.

ThirdSight 08-13-2008 05:58 PM

*Note: Following reply coming from a writer.*

Fanfiction is a great way to practice writing, and a great freewriting tool.

But you didn't make the characters.
And you didn't make the universe they reside in.
And you didn't change names of characters, or add any other ones.
And even if other ones are added, it doesn't flow cohesively with the remaining characters/universe.

It's like trying to force your own puzzle piece into a puzzle that's not only already complete, but perfect in and of itself.

I personaly don't think that fanfiction should be published anywhere, but I'm highly uneducated in the fields of publication, so I'll plead the 5th on that part.

Even still, I can't consider fanfiction actual writing, nor those that write fanfiction actual writers.

/endrant (Good God, I'm gonna' get railed for this, I can feel it.)

Kandierain15 08-13-2008 05:58 PM

Do you like how people will make the genders change? Or if yhey make them gay?

Kandierain15 08-13-2008 06:00 PM

That's true. it's not there's to mess with...but if it make's poeple happy to di, I'm all good. ^^

ThirdSight 08-13-2008 06:05 PM

Oh yeah. While not a fan of fanfiction itself, I could care less about it being written. If it makes people happy to do it, let them eat cake (or something like that).

But when fanfiction writers think they're actual writers, that's when I swoop in with a pen and black pieces of paper and ask them to come up with something on their own.

iTwisted 08-13-2008 10:07 PM

As long as you don't change a characters personality
it's ok by me. And not the world they live in either.
And I hate when people add strange things like Mpreg XD
Or like weird stuff like the narutoverse being invaded by a
vampire virus XD
It just becomes... bad..

Changing sexuality can be Ok though ^^ if you write it so
that it would seem natural. Like it could happen.

Teesama 08-13-2008 10:19 PM

Sexuality, experimenting is aaalright.
But MPreg...come on ._. just because you're twelve and you love babies but you can't stand women don't make the characters go preg.

KikiBunny23 08-13-2008 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThirdSight (Post 561768)
Oh yeah. While not a fan of fanfiction itself, I could care less about it being written. If it makes people happy to do it, let them eat cake (or something like that).

But when fanfiction writers think they're actual writers, that's when I swoop in with a pen and black pieces of paper and ask them to come up with something on their own.

I enjoy writing fanfictions but I also enjoy writing regular stories from my own imagination. Heck, my english teacher gave us a random promt of what would you do if you won a million dollars and it had to be 100 words or more...finished it in like 30min and over 300words. SHe gave me a look like I was crazy haha...
at the moment I'm readin an inuyasha fanfic on fanfiction.net its called The Phoenix Blade: Time Lapse...I usually wouldn't enjoy how it is written but I'm mainly just readin it to see if I can finish te story. [700,000+ words and 86 chapters. Longest story I have attempted to read yet]