JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
MissMisa (Offline)
Fashion, Games + Art Mod.

Help Writing a CV - 08-18-2008, 12:39 PM

Okay, so I wrote a CV. Everytime I send it off, I never get a reply! Ever. So I figured, there must be something wrong with my CV. At first I blamed it on me being in full time school therefore I have no chance of flexibility at all. But I mean, they can't all have turned me down purely for that reason, can they? My results aren't bad, I've had a lot of experiances and have had a lot of responsibilities so I'm not sure why I have this total inability to get them to reply to my application let alone get a job! I'm getting pretty desperate. I am not entitled to any maintance or grants that my friends are, because of the amount my parents earn, [which if you ask me a completely unfair and stupid policy as that has absolutely nothing to do with me, but there you go.] I won't be able to afford University if I don't get a job, as I don't want a fairly large debt at the end of Uni to contend with.

So if anyone could help me, that'd be great. If you wanna see my CV as it is now, I'll post it up. If anyone has any tips for writing one, please please please give me them! Tell me what you put on your CV that you think swayed them to reply.

Thanks
(#2 (permalink))
Old
noodle (Offline)
Wo zhi dao ni ai wo

08-18-2008, 12:40 PM

Post you CV... Make sure you take off your personal details though
(#3 (permalink))
Old
MissMisa (Offline)

08-18-2008, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noodle View Post
Post you CV... Make sure you take off your personal details though
Alright, one second. I'll put X's where all my details would be.

Curriculum Vitae

Sally xxxxx
Email: xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Qualifications
GCSES
Type of GCSE / Grade Acquired
Mathematics [Higher] C
Science Double Award [Higher] C C
English Literature [Higher] A*
English Language [Higher] A
Business and Communication [Higher] A*
Geography [Higher] A
Art and Design A
Graphic Design [Higher] B
Religious A
Citizenship B

A LEVELS

AS Levels
Media - A
Sociology - B
Product Design - A
Art and Design - C

Work experience

Graphic Design Company

XXXXXXXXXXXXXX [name of company]
I completed one week at a local graphic design company, through a work experience scheme at school. From working here, I learnt a number of graphic and art related skills, such as working on Apple Mac computers, using Photoshop and also using a Lithography machine for the first time. It also improved my teamwork, co-operation, communication and confidence in this field.

Media and Broadcasting

BBC

I completed a day of work experience at the BBC studio. I was able to see how television equipment and broadcasting works. I worked most of the day in the Graphic Design suite where I was able to see more of the animation aspect of design, and I was also given a tour of the BBC and the equipment they used. I also worked on the studio floor and observed the programme as it went live on air. This experience taught me a lot about design, and I also met a lot of new people which built my confidence and motivation to get into this field.

Other achievements
- Working with Millennium Volunteers
- Becoming Deputy Head Girl
- Teaching a weekly digital art class for younger students
- Having an extensive knowledge of Photoshop
- Winning an artist competition in the newspaper

Personal Statement

I am a very enthusiastic and motivated individual. I put a lot of effort into everything that I do, and I am very organised and able to work in a team. I have experience with IT; particularly design programs such as Photoshop. I always like a challenge and am able to apply my skills to any situation I need to. Overall I would be an asset to your company because of the skills and knowledge I have gained over my time at school and my work experience.

[Please note: I cannot work the following times because of school.
Monday: 8:15am – 3:00pm. Tuesday to Friday: 8:15am – 2:15pm]

[It's actually on a word document, so the format looks a bit funny here, but that's basically the content. Do you think it's too long winded, in the wrong order, or does my personal statement need improving?]

Last edited by MissMisa : 08-18-2008 at 12:51 PM.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
MissMisa (Offline)

08-18-2008, 12:51 PM

Done ~ For anyone else who wants to critque it and help me out, it's above
(#5 (permalink))
Old
noodle (Offline)
Wo zhi dao ni ai wo

08-18-2008, 12:54 PM

Just by schiming through it, the only problem I can see is that it's not aimed at anyone particular. When I worked in Gamestation and looked through CV's for them, the first pile of CV's I made were generally ones that seemed to be aimed at them, rather than the more generic CV.

Maybe if you tell me what kind of place you're applying for, I'd probably be able to give you some pointers... Because right now, if you apply for a Retail Job, it doesn't really show that you have any interest in Retail...
(#6 (permalink))
Old
MissMisa (Offline)

08-18-2008, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Just by schiming through it, the only problem I can see is that it's not aimed at anyone particular. When I worked in Gamestation and looked through CV's for them, the first pile of CV's I made were generally ones that seemed to be aimed at them, rather than the more generic CV.

Maybe if you tell me what kind of place you're applying for, I'd probably be able to give you some pointers... Because right now, if you apply for a Retail Job, it doesn't really show that you have any interest in Retail...
I'll tell you the ones I've applied for: Gamestation, GAME, Computer Exchange, Cafe Nero, Argos, Boots, Matalan and Primark. I mean that's a pretty extensive range of stuff, and I haven't got a reply from any. But yeah, good advice, I'll definatly adjust it more to suit the company.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
noodle (Offline)
Wo zhi dao ni ai wo

08-18-2008, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissMisa View Post
I'll tell you the ones I've applied for: Gamestation, GAME, Computer Exchange, Cafe Nero, Argos, Boots, Matalan and Primark. I mean that's a pretty extensive range of stuff, and I haven't got a reply from any. But yeah, good advice, I'll definatly adjust it more to suit the company.
Okay, well the first three companies will probably just look over it quickly and put it in an ignore pile simply because you haven't said "I like games"... lol, or something along those lines...

Cafe Nero and the rest... I don't know why they haven't replied... You were probably just unlucky.

I also think there is a lack of description on what kind of person you are. Grades, education etc, don't really matter when it comes to Retail. They'd more look at your hobbies etc... You should probably put an "Interests" Section at the end... I'll post my CV in a moe
(#8 (permalink))
Old
MissMisa (Offline)

08-18-2008, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Okay, well the first three companies will probably just look over it quickly and put it in an ignore pile simply because you haven't said "I like games"... lol, or something along those lines...

Cafe Nero and the rest... I don't know why they haven't replied... You were probably just unlucky.

I also think there is a lack of description on what kind of person you are. Grades, education etc, don't really matter when it comes to Retail. They'd more look at your hobbies etc... You should probably put an "Interests" Section at the end... I'll post my CV in a moe
Ah right I see. Thankyou. I guess for the most part, it's just luck of the draw. After getting some advice from someone about the applying at Gamestation, I applied for Computer Exchange differently, saying I like games, technology and so on, but still didn't get it. There was only 1 vacancy and it could have been for a weekday though, so maybe that's why.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
noodle (Offline)
Wo zhi dao ni ai wo

08-18-2008, 01:09 PM

Curriculum Vitae
XXXXXXXXXX (Name)

P E R S O N A L D E T A I L S

Address: xxxxxx Tel: xxxxxx
Drivers Licence: Yes Email: xxxxxx

E D U C A T I O N

Sep 2006 – Present Université de Cergy-Pontoise: Currently in my second year of my bachelor’s degree studying MPI (Mathematics, Physics, and Informatique (Computing)) as well as extra modules (English Language, French Language, Thermodynamics and Predicate Logics). University is situated in Paris and all lessons are in French.

Sep 2005 – Jun 2006 Croydon College: I continued my A-level course. The subjects completed and passed were Mathematics, Further Math, Physics, and French with results AAAA.

Sep 2004 – Jun 2005 John Ruskin College: Started and completed half the A-level Course. Received 2 AS grades in Electronics and Business Studies with results of BC respectively

Sept 1998 – Jun 2003 Riddlesdown High School: I completed my GCSEs and achieved 10 A* - C grades including: A* in French, A* in Business and Communication, A* in Mathematics, Double A* in Science and B in English Language.

Sept 2002 – Feb 2003 Institut Francais Du Royaume-Uni: I studied French outside normal school hours, which has helped me get admission to higher education in France.

W O R K E X P E R I E N C E

Jun 2008 – Sept 2008 Lloyds Register, Summer Placement;
Group IT;
 Worked with different teams within the Department; Desktop Support, PC Management, Media/Server Team (HP), Finance.
 Desktop Support (3 weeks); worked with Capgemini (Collaborative Business Experience | Capgemini | Consulting, Technology, Outsourcing) employees who manage desktop support for Lloyds Register. Resolved issues staff had across all Departments. Built, installed and commissioned new Laptops, Workstations and Servers as well as Blackberry’s, 3G laptop cards. Set up meeting and training rooms with 8+ Laptops and a Projector.

Jun 2006– Aug 2006 Service Point, Reprographics Digital operator:
Service Point UK
 Used AutoCAD, Ms Office (Listed in Interests), Reprodesk, Adobe Acrobat, Photoshop.
 Job involved Digital document copying, digital printing and others. Please refer to Website for more information.

Jun 2003 – Aug 2006 Gamestation ltd, Sales Assistant:
 Sold in excess of £900 worth of games every day during my employment, which is approximately 30% of the daily revenue.
 Responsible for collecting sales proceeds at the end of every day and updating the revenue blotter.
 Trained new joiners to the company.
 Dealt with very difficult customers and was able to manage their complaints effectively.
 Responsible for depositing revenue at the bank.
 This experience helped me develop my technical, communication and interpersonal skills.

P O S I T I O N S O F R E S P O N S I B I L I T Y

Sep 2006 – Present Voluntary Foreign (New) Student Advisor:
I have the duty of helping any new foreign student joining a Bilingual Course. Duties include helping with university applications, opening bank accounts, answering any queries they may have regarding police, doctors, VISA (carte de séjour) etc.

Sep 2002 – Jun 2003 Prefect: I had the responsibility of enforcing certain rules for students every lunch and break times. I also had to attend meetings with staff to put forward issues that students had.

Oct 2000 – Jun 2005 Tutor Group representative: Reported problems that students encountered with the course to the departmental staff. Actively voicing the interest of students in regular meetings with Faculty Heads and Staff. I had this duty at my High school and also at my College (John Ruskin).

I N T E R E S T S

Sports: Pool, Football, Tennis, Table Tennis and mainly Basketball.

Traveling: Organized extensive visits in Western Europe, North Africa and China. Currently planning on a one year exchange program to Japan.

Reading: Read science, computing and gaming magazines every month.

Computing: Experience using Windows 95-Vista; Ms Word, Ms Excel, Ms FrontPage, Ms Outlook, Ms PowerPoint, AutoCAD, ReproDesk, Adobe Acrobat, Adobe Photoshop. HP Radia Software Manager, Action Request System,
Currently in the process of designing and making a website concerning life of students in foreign countries. Will be a guide to any student wishing to study abroad.

References available upon request
(#10 (permalink))
Old
noodle (Offline)
Wo zhi dao ni ai wo

08-18-2008, 01:12 PM

The CV I've posted above is more of a generic CV I've got which I can change depending on the company I apply to. However, with this CV I applied for an IT position in another company and was accepted because they could relate to the experiences I've had... But I think that if I apply with this CV to a place like Primark, they'd just ignore me because it is far too generic and not to do with anything they do...