LinkBack Thread Tools
(#21 (permalink))
Old
Teesama (Offline)
Little Nemesis

08-19-2008, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saffy85 View Post

Another would be how naturally smart Japanese are. In Anime/Manga they are made out to be geniuses naturally, but in real life they have to study harder than any other nation in the world to get to thier level of intelligence. Through this intense studying many decide to crack under the pressure of getting good grades, not wanting to dissapoint thier parents/family and continuous study with massive build up of stress, then a lot of them suicide themself (I belive Japan has the worlds highest suicide rates, majority of the deaths are linked to the above). Alao a lot will consider suicide if they get bad grades or are even predicted to do bad. Not the fairy tale world I had pictured in my head at one time.
I wonder where did you fat this? Are you so knowledgable about every nation that there is on this thing called planet Earth? Basically: All> Japanese. That's weird, isn't it?
(#22 (permalink))
Old
mandalina (Offline)
invisible

08-19-2008, 11:44 AM

deleted...

Last edited by mandalina : 05-13-2009 at 08:54 PM.
(#23 (permalink))
Old
Jaydelart (Offline)
ジェイデラート

08-19-2008, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin4hire View Post
Of course I have an idea on what it might be like based on what I've experienced and heard. But there's nothing wrong with that no?
I don't believe there is.
As I explained in an earlier topic, similar to this one: Whether a person's visions of Japan are based on truth or not would best be discovered through personal experience -- and should be.

A person can begin to grow fond of Japan for "false" reasons, but what if they were to discover real reasons when they visited?
Again, people will have to find out for themselves... And that still requires them to visit.

In any case, you'd still be gaining the benefit of knowing the truth.
(#24 (permalink))
Old
Rogozhin (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-19-2008, 12:12 PM

Since I haven't really lived there for 12 years (small trips don't count) I think my view of Japan would be a bit distorted - I would know certain things having been there, but only know superficially. Stuff like trends and mainstream thinking I don't really understand.
(#25 (permalink))
Old
gravelgill (Offline)
jf blade dancer

08-19-2008, 03:48 PM

misconcieved or distorted veiw happen every where you dont wanna know how many foreigners ask me what kind of horse i ride because i live in texas.

january 10th,meditation for the day
have you FELT the sun today?
(#26 (permalink))
Old
SSJup81 (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Send a message via ICQ to SSJup81 Send a message via AIM to SSJup81 Send a message via MSN to SSJup81 Send a message via Yahoo to SSJup81 Send a message via Skype™ to SSJup81
08-19-2008, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravelgill View Post
misconcieved or distorted veiw happen every where you dont wanna know how many foreigners ask me what kind of horse i ride because i live in texas.
My Japanese teacher actually asked one time if for my family's Easter dinner if we had Fried Chicken just because I was black. Misconceived notions will probably always be a problem to some extent, though.
(#27 (permalink))
Old
gravelgill (Offline)
jf blade dancer

08-19-2008, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSJup81 View Post
My Japanese teacher actually asked one time if for my family's Easter dinner if we had Fried Chicken just because I was black. Misconceived notions will probably always be a problem to some extent, though.
lol
its just as bad as when ever i go to louisiana or mississippi,i tell people im from texas and there like"no your not your not wearing a cowboy hat or carrying a six-shooter"

january 10th,meditation for the day
have you FELT the sun today?
(#28 (permalink))
Old
allie2590 (Offline)
I am the White Testament

08-19-2008, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
I think you guys are being a little harsh on the OP.

Keep in mind that most of the people here that have misconstrued ideas about Japan are also never actually going to go there.

Anime and manga were not popular or available in the US when I first went to Japan, so I didn't have a misconstrued opinion...i basically went knowing nothing so there was nothing to mistake.

I get nervous when people romanticize the yakuza. For every Robin Hood-like act you might hear about there are hundreds of things that will make you not so excited to meet one.
I don't think the OP is giving us enough credit. I think most of us here are intelligent enough to know when anime and manga is stretching the truth. The topics on this site are enough to tell me that.
(#29 (permalink))
Old
CarleyGee (Offline)
staring at awkward legs

Send a message via AIM to CarleyGee Send a message via MSN to CarleyGee
08-19-2008, 10:56 PM

If I ever take a trip to Japan in the far future, the thing I would dread the most are the trains during the crowded times. I'm severely claustrophobic... eh.
Hopefully there will be an alternative : D

Help my Cause for homeless teens!
http://www.socialvibe.com/CarleyGee

R.I.P Johnny
3-31-09

http://www.formspring.me/CarleyRenee17
Ask me any question
(#30 (permalink))
Old
kenmei (Offline)
脳ある鷹は爪を隠

Send a message via AIM to kenmei Send a message via MSN to kenmei
08-19-2008, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarleyGee View Post
If I ever take a trip to Japan in the far future, the thing I would dread the most are the trains during the crowded times. I'm severely claustrophobic... eh.
Hopefully there will be an alternative : D
its not that fun, thats for sure...but Japanese people are not pushy nor are they rude. If you ever bump into someone, a simple 'sumimasen'/'gomennasai' will do..as apposed to america where someone will practically kill you if you bump into them.

there's not much alternatives unless you take a taxi everywhere which is very expensive.