JapanForum.com  

View Poll Results: Are you proud of your country?
Yes 133 56.60%
No 102 43.40%
Voters: 235. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#391 (permalink))
Old
alanX (Offline)
The Psychedelic Traveler

Send a message via Skype™ to alanX
08-03-2009, 02:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
I know I don't like Hunt's ketchup because I have had Hunt's ketchup and I have had Heinz ketchup and I know I like Heinz better.

That being said, I don't know if I would say "I don't like Hunt's ketchup" if that is the only ketchup I have ever had before. I would probably say "I don't like ketchup."
One time I had a dream about a rainbows and purple dragons.

MMM, please excuse me, but I have no clue what your post is talking about. Please clear it up for me?

猿も木から落ちる
(#392 (permalink))
Old
LuckyLuck (Offline)
Transform Tomorrow

Send a message via MSN to LuckyLuck
08-03-2009, 02:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanX View Post

MMM, please excuse me, but I have no clue what your post is talking about. Please clear it up for me?
Well part of what he's saying is .. how can you hate your country if you haven't even really lived outside of it?

The path to equality is a long road to travel.
(#393 (permalink))
Old
Quailboy (Offline)
Been Here Too Long

Send a message via AIM to Quailboy Send a message via MSN to Quailboy Send a message via Yahoo to Quailboy Send a message via Skype™ to Quailboy
08-03-2009, 02:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanX View Post

He is reffering to catsup brands as countries.

Saying that if the USA is the only one you've "had" before. That you should say "I dont like life/society" instead of, I dont like the USA.

Correct me if I'm wrong on this one MMM

You haven't dug your hole too deep until it's killed you
(#394 (permalink))
Old
LuckyLuck (Offline)
Transform Tomorrow

Send a message via MSN to LuckyLuck
08-03-2009, 02:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quailboy View Post
He is reffering to catsup brands as countries.

Saying that if the USA is the only one you've "had" before. That you should say "I dont like life/society" instead of, I dont like the USA.

Correct me if I'm wrong on this one MMM
Hah you're much better at interpretation then me lol.

The path to equality is a long road to travel.
(#395 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

08-03-2009, 02:29 AM

You both are right. I don't spend a lot of time thinking about loving or not loving the USA, but you read here time and time again about how people appreciate their home country so much more after living some place else (in this case, Japan, but it could be anywhere, I suppose).

You get a different perspective that will, without fail, change the way you think about your home country.

That is why I don't think people who have never lived (and I mean "lived") outside of their home country can say "I hate it" because you have nothing to compare it to.

You can say you don't agree with the government or don't like certain things, of course, but I would reserve saying "I hate the USA" before you know anything besides the USA.
(#396 (permalink))
Old
Megabyte117 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-03-2009, 02:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyLuck View Post
Ohhh Yeah reread it. I was taking it as being told to get off the forum because I an opposing opinion. My mistake thanks for catching that.
Sorry if it sounded that way

Quote:
It's not as simple packing up your bags and leaving my friend.
I understand that. It's simply infuriating to read "I hate America" from Japan obsessed teenagers who don't appreciate the freedoms we have that many others don't.

I live in Arizona where there are (I'm not justifying illegal immigration) countless hispanics who risked their lives for a better one. I have many Mexican friends who love this country for the priveleges they have even when some are not as financially able as many on this forum clearly are.
(#397 (permalink))
Old
alanX (Offline)
The Psychedelic Traveler

08-03-2009, 02:36 AM

Oh I understand.

I've lived in Australia and Japan.
And Canada. (Kind of)

I can still say I don't really have a liking for America.

猿も木から落ちる
(#398 (permalink))
Old
alanX (Offline)
The Psychedelic Traveler

08-03-2009, 02:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megabyte117 View Post
It's simply infuriating to read "I hate America" from Japan obsessed teenagers who don't appreciate the freedoms we have that many others don't.
You obviously don't know me.
I absolutely love the freedom that we have in America, I'm very blessed to live in a country as such.

This doesn't mean I like America.

猿も木から落ちる
(#399 (permalink))
Old
Quailboy (Offline)
Been Here Too Long

Send a message via AIM to Quailboy Send a message via MSN to Quailboy Send a message via Yahoo to Quailboy Send a message via Skype™ to Quailboy
08-03-2009, 02:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
You both are right. I don't spend a lot of time thinking about loving or not loving the USA, but you read here time and time again about how people appreciate their home country so much more after living some place else (in this case, Japan, but it could be anywhere, I suppose).

You get a different perspective that will, without fail, change the way you think about your home country.

That is why I don't think people who have never lived (and I mean "lived") outside of their home country can say "I hate it" because you have nothing to compare it to.

You can say you don't agree with the government or don't like certain things, of course, but I would reserve saying "I hate the USA" before you know anything besides the USA.
So having said that, should I take my statement and change it to "I hate -insert long list of things I hate about America-"?

You haven't dug your hole too deep until it's killed you
(#400 (permalink))
Old
alanX (Offline)
The Psychedelic Traveler

08-03-2009, 02:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quailboy View Post
So having said that, should I take my statement and change it to "I hate -insert long list of things I hate about America-"?
Yes.

猿も木から落ちる
Closed Thread