JapanForum.com

JapanForum.com (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/)
-   General Discussion (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/general-discussion/)
-   -   Are you proud of your country? (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/general-discussion/18792-you-proud-your-country.html)

MissMisa 09-03-2008 04:03 PM

Are you proud of your country?

I just wondered, are you proud of your country, despite it's faults? I'm proud of where I come from. I was born here, it's my heritage. We've done a lot for the world, even though England has had it's faults like any other country. Please state where you are from in your answer, if it's not in your profile.

Ayame90 09-03-2008 04:10 PM

I can't really say. The U.S. have many rights and freedoms other countries don't but those freedoms are steadily being taken away from us. I wish our government officials had better sense and smarts. So i'm in between.

Salvanas 09-03-2008 04:13 PM

I am proud of where Turkey is right now, and how they got here, despite many of the prejudices we take from the rest of the world. I am proud of my country.

We have faults, but so does the rest of the world.

zoneoni 09-03-2008 04:16 PM

We'll, I don't know to be honest. America has done alot of things, things that many of it's citizens arn't aware about, and it isn't because we're ignorant or don't care, but the media with all its biasness can only do so much before you fail to recognize the truth even if it stares you in the face. I for one, am very skeptical about what I read in the newspaper or the tv. People have a million and one agendas both on the stage and off the record.

As a general consensus though, I think or would like to think that the majority of Americans have grown dispositional towards our government. I have, I feel that the last 7 odd years have been full of a failed administration trying to make up for mistakes from day one. This isn't to say that the principals behind America is shameful, just the embodiment that has now portrayed the face of American democracy is. I am, of our current administration. Because basically they lied, about a truckload of stuff, maybe I'm a conspiricay theorist but the last couple of years have all transpired events that have either helped the Arabic friends George Bush has or George Bush. I have no proof duh, but I just feel that way and if in the future we look back and see that it was so, then yes I would be very ashamed. But then again it's not like I did anything to help stop it. During the second time that George Bush ran for president, it's not like I went out and rallied against him. No, I stayed at home and had popcorn with orange juice and watched as he was elected yet again. But it's not like one person was responsible for everything, maybe the mastermind but not directly churning the gears. I think as an American, America is something to be proud of but not at this moment.

Jaydelart 09-03-2008 04:19 PM

I've splitted virtually half my life in both Australia and America... And I am proud of both of them.

clairebear 09-03-2008 04:25 PM

I guess I dont have much reasons not to be proud of my country...so i guess I am :)

Wednesday 09-03-2008 04:33 PM

I don't feel home where I live at the moment. and in my home-country, I don't feel home too, actually... So, it's difficult to/for (?) me to be proud of these countries. My current residence: Germany... Hm... There have been many inventors who participated on the world's progress. But there are also too many people who are idiots and ignorant. They have no interest in politics and just cry the whole day what they don't have and what they never won't do. Why, just because they do nothing. And of course, there is still this "lttle" well-known part of history I hate and the reason why all the others hate(d) Germany...

FearTheNumbers 09-03-2008 05:05 PM

I'm afraid I'm not proud at all.
I hate where I live.
I'm in Scotland and it's awful.
x_x''

clairebear 09-03-2008 05:24 PM

What's so bad about Scotland...?

I guess it depends what city you live in.
I hate the weather here but I kinda like my city.

Deutschland 09-03-2008 05:49 PM

Iam proud of my Country, altough Germany has caused the two world wars :0

Tordek42 09-03-2008 05:52 PM

Tbh I'm hugley proud of where I come from (London, murder city...)

As for the UK as a whole, if we stopped being America's bitch then I'd have some respect for the government.

And we have Gordon Brown as a PM (but Boris Johnson and Mayor of London which makes for it a bit...)

Henbaka 09-03-2008 05:53 PM

Sure, I think it's kinda cute.

FearTheNumbers 09-03-2008 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clairebear (Post 575318)
What's so bad about Scotland...?

I guess it depends what city you live in.
I hate the weather here but I kinda like my city.

Well yeah, you're in Edinburgh, which is great.
But I'm in Dundee.
Which is not so great.

Haggis 09-03-2008 06:13 PM

I was proud of my country until I saw the olympic closing ceremony. I worry about 2012, look how we've started...

Quote:

The controversial 2012 Olympics logo ran into more trouble today as it emerged that a video promoting it had triggered migraines and epileptic fits.

Aota 09-03-2008 06:35 PM

I'd like to see the US evolve into a more supportive country. I'm starting to respect it, a tiny bit. Maybe in about ten years, it'll have my respect.

However, in no way will I ever have respect for Texas. x]

Sketchy 09-03-2008 07:08 PM

I'm from Ireland, and yes.

MissMisa 09-03-2008 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Haggis (Post 575349)
I was proud of my country until I saw the olympic closing ceremony. I worry about 2012, look how we've started...

I really really hated this logo. It's just silly and ridiculous in my opinion. It's all flashy and animated, but actually still it looks rubbish [and animated, it's not much better.] I suffer from migraine so it's a bad thing for me personally, too. I just think it was a bad idea in general.

Bureda 09-03-2008 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clairebear (Post 575278)
I guess I dont have much reasons not to be proud of my country...so i guess I am :)

Here's your reason to be proud:

He's the man! :P

I am not English, but I am a proud British.

Tordek42 09-03-2008 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MissMisa (Post 575392)
I really really hated this logo. It's just silly and ridiculous in my opinion. It's all flashy and animated, but actually still it looks rubbish [and animated, it's not much better.] I suffer from migraine so it's a bad thing for me personally, too. I just think it was a bad idea in general.

Really the London 2012 Olympics are gonna fail completely (trying to top Beijing is just impossible, as well as lack of public support)

Sketchy 09-03-2008 07:17 PM

I'm sure they'll come up with the goods by 2012, China was still scrambling to put it together til the last second so it's not as if they had it easy either.

Thunda 09-03-2008 07:22 PM

Hungary and no.

clairebear 09-03-2008 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bureda (Post 575393)
Here's your reason to be proud:

He's the man! :P

LOL.
Good point ;D

Bureda 09-03-2008 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clairebear (Post 575410)
LOL.
Good point ;D

and IRN BRU!

Thunda 09-03-2008 07:39 PM

Frankie Boyle? Who the hell is he?

Ramones1976 09-03-2008 07:40 PM

Proud of Honduras or the u.s?
No way

I don't even believe in national or ethnic pride to begin with.
Like what George Carlin said you can be happy for who you are, but pride should be for something you accomplish or achieve on your own, not for something by birth.

clairebear 09-03-2008 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bureda (Post 575412)
and IRN BRU!

How many times have you mentioned Irn Bru on this forum? xD But yeah, I do love this drink..lol.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thunda (Post 575415)
Frankie Boyle? Who the hell is he?

Scottish comedian.

Bureda 09-03-2008 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clairebear (Post 575422)
How many times have you mentioned Irn Bru on this forum? xD But yeah, I do love this drink..lol.

I am simply emphasising the important of that drink to the Scottish. =O
Yes, you MUST love that drink.

clairebear 09-03-2008 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bureda (Post 575426)
I am simply emphasising the important of that drink to the Scottish. =O
Yes, you MUST love that drink.

Yeah, if I didnt love that drink I wouldn't be Scottish, right? :eek:

I dont like Haggis though! :P

Bureda 09-03-2008 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clairebear (Post 575428)
Yeah, if I didnt love that drink I wouldn't be Scottish, right? :eek:

I dont like Haggis though! :P

Of course, when you say "9/11" people think of America.

When its "IRN-BRU" its scottland and "gay" Brighton.

As long as you're swimming in IRN-BRU you're a proud woman of the mountains!

Tyrien 09-03-2008 07:48 PM

I'm thankful for where I live, very thankful of my counry. I'm not proud though. I don't feel people should have the right to be proud of things like their skin colour, or country. Things that they were just given and had no real choice is being there or part of it.

Zagato289 09-03-2008 07:51 PM

I'm from Mexico. I really can't say I'm proud of my country. First of all, I wasn't even raised in my country. I was raised in the U.S. for almost all my life so far. I was given many opportunities that I know I wouldn't got in my country. Mexico is doing really bad right. There's many kidnappers everywhere and the country is mostly run by the Mexican Mafia. You cant trust anyone because even the police is working for the bad guys. I heard they were going to fix this a long time ago and nothing has happen and they are saying the thing again.During the 2008 Olympics, they only won 3 medals in total. I heard some of the trainers didn't train right there students and didnt even explain the rules right. I know that some of my family is saying that I'm ignorant and that is not truth what is happening, but I know is truth.

Zagato289 09-03-2008 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aota (Post 575359)
I'd like to see the US evolve into a more supportive country. I'm starting to respect it, a tiny bit. Maybe in about ten years, it'll have my respect.

However, in no way will I ever have respect for Texas. x]

Why won't you have respect for Texas. I live there and its a wonderfull place.

Senbee 09-03-2008 08:28 PM

I am US American and German. Yeah and both of em have a pretty bad reputation. Buuut I dont care. I am not reeeeally proud but I will cheer for the German soccer team or the American Basketball team. I don't think you have to be super crazy proud but just a little tiny bit xD. I tend to like countries that are hated by others though. During the Olympics people were booing the Irak and Iran team so I was totaly hoping theyd get a medal.

Sketchy 09-03-2008 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Senbee (Post 575451)
During the Olympics people were booing the Irak and Iran team so I was totaly hoping theyd get a medal.

lol were they?, that's pretty dumb.

Senbee 09-03-2008 08:33 PM

yup Pakistan, Iran and Irak weren't exactly praised. Ehh People really should seperate stupid politics from sports.

yuujirou 09-03-2008 08:44 PM

not proud of america~ not proud of texas~ not proud of houston x]

Senbee 09-03-2008 08:57 PM

haha well if would live in Houston id just pick some random country, do some research and become a fan of that country.

For example Trinidad and Tubago haha. Even though you don't live there, probably will never live there and perhaps don't speak spanish you could be proud of it xD. Then watch all the soccer games or whatever your favorite sports if of Trinidad and Tubago and in only a couple month you will be proud of a country that you barely even knew before :D .

Perhaps it doesnt make sense but thats surely what I would do

Sinestra 09-03-2008 09:17 PM

I am proud of America just very disappointed in how the country has been run these past 8 years. Although this current administration has made countless mistakes lied many times as a whole i am proud. What amazes me is that in just 8 short yet long years the accomplishments and good America has done around the world in the past has been forgotten. To me an everyday Joe in the UK,Japan,China,Algeria,Iraq,Kenya is just doing their best to get by and make a living for themselves and their family. You can be proud of your country but you do not have to like your Government. Hopefully the next president of the U.S. can bring back the pride that so many Americans feel they have lost and we can become a more supportive country instead of being perceived as a bully. Because honestly majority of Americans are not like that.

Aota 09-03-2008 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yuujirou (Post 575459)
not proud of america~ not proud of texas~ not proud of houston x]

Oh my gosh, yes! Dude, yuujirou, we need to hang out sometime! xD It's so boring here in Houston! >_<

Zagato289, try growing up here, and traveling all around Texas for a majority of your life as "vacation", and then, please, tell me not to hate it. xD

Aoiru 09-03-2008 11:07 PM

Japan pride! Nara Power!
Yes, I'm proud. It is calm here.

But I want to go other countries soon! >o<