JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#11 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

09-13-2008, 05:47 AM

It always amuses me that Japan is considered a "patriarchal society". I have found the men that act the "toughest" are usually puppies around their wives or mothers, and their bravado and boasting is limited to certain circles. Traditionally, Japanese men are literally handed from their mothers to their wives...or the wife lives in the same home with his parents.

This is a traditional, and old-fashioned perspective, but not unheard of even today.
(#12 (permalink))
Old
Wasabista (Offline)
JF Old Timer

09-13-2008, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyororin View Post
Didn`t read the original blog post - I`m not going to waste my time.

But I will pipe in and said that I`m an anti-feminist female in Japan.
I`m an egalitarian.

Equality is, well, different but equal. Feminism ends up meaning "Equal in status, but better in every way than those nasty men!" Feminism calls for all the benefits of equal status, but with special allowances and bonuses because you`re female.

It`s misandry, plain and simple.
Quixote, I'll answer your question by replying to Nyororin's post with a big YES!

Equality of access and opportunity (along with responsibility) is a vital goal for our modern society, now that talent (and not force of arms, as in the past!) is the key to success. But the feminist narrative tries to get there by casting women as victims and men as ogres. That path is harmful and destructive, and many lies have been told in the service of that narrative.

Japan has barely tapped the huge talent of its female workforce. That is one of its biggest failings.

『辛かった」といえる前に
「辛かったろう」と言ってくれる
(#13 (permalink))
Old
MissMisa (Offline)
Fashion, Games + Art Mod.

09-13-2008, 06:53 AM

Feminism is the reason women can do all the things they can do today. It absolutely disgusts me that women can even consider it has ever being a bad thing. Women died to give us the right to do things that men can, such as vote, and I think that saying being against that is just offensive. Feminism is not about being better than men, it's about being equal. There are extremist feminists who believe that they are better, and those are the ones that get the most media attention. And if you believe that every feminist is a radical one, then you are sadly mistaken. Women still face discrimination today and it's still very real. Just because it doesn't effect you in your country doesn't mean feminists can't campaign for people outside their own country. I think people are taking a very ignorant view of feminism, and basically don't have a clue about it.
Quote:
Both. But neither makes it oppression. Feminism was supposed to open doors and make it possible for a woman to make her own choices. Instead, it has just changed the right choice. If you don`t make that choice, you`re being oppressed... Because, well, there is no way any woman would really choose that sort of path.
And it did? You are doing exactly what you want. Without feminists, you wouldn't be. When women were opressed, they had to stay at home. They didn't have the right to vote, or wear certain clothing, or not have kids. They had no choice between working and staying at home. Now you have a choice to either stay at home, which you are doing, or go to work which you don't want to do. I don't know what kind of people you have talked to, but if they are condemning you for making a choice to stay at home, then I wouldn't call them proper feminists. I can understand why you may feel resentment towards people who look down on you for looking after your children, but please don't consider all feminists to be that way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasabista View Post
I'm one of them. Feminism is a cancer. The goal of bringing women into the workforce is a good one, but the path of getting there by casting women as victims of long-standing oppression is wrong, misinformed and harmful to families. The author of your paper himself is apparently unable to distinguish between "anti-feminist" and "misogynistic."
Are you only referring to modern day feminists, or feminists that have done things for us in the past, or both? Women have been the victims of long standing opression, and are still facing it today. I don't know how much you know about the opression of women, but I've studyed it for a long time and I know it still happens. I'm not sure about Japan, so if that's what you are referring to then it's not my place to say, but if you think everything is fine and dandy for women all over the world then I'll have to disagree. I agree that people shouldn't go about what they want by making out women are the victims of men [even though in some middle east countries, they are] but in our society it's not the case anymore. I think you'll find the feminists you are talking about are radical feminists, the ones that get all the media attention, and to judge all feminists on their beliefs would be like judging a muslim by extremist muslim terrorists. Not a good idea, I'm sure you'll agree.

Last edited by MissMisa : 09-13-2008 at 07:15 AM.
(#14 (permalink))
Old
MissMisa (Offline)

09-13-2008, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshAussie View Post
Hurray for Nyororin.
Oh god, not you in the feminist thread again haha xD Can tell this is going to be a barrel of laughs since your like a big feminist hater >.<
(#15 (permalink))
Old
MissMisa (Offline)

09-13-2008, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Im not going to get involved! I do "Dislike" feminists tho. I agree with Nyororin so i dont need to voice my opinion. Try and have fun without me tho. Lol.
Yeah I tried not to get involved with this thread because I'm really passionate about this stuff so I don't want to bite people's heads off and respect their differences in opinion! Lol xD

In any case, you are all referring to RADICAL feminists, which are very extremist, but let me assure you that they make up only a small percentage of actual feminists. On most things I do not agree with radical feminists, in which case we all agree. I think people are getting entirely the wrong impressions since radical feminists are basically the only ones you see on the media because of their extreme views.
(#16 (permalink))
Old
quixote73 (Offline)
New to JF

09-13-2008, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Im not going to get involved! I do "Dislike" feminists tho. I agree with Nyororin so i dont need to voice my opinion. Try and have fun without me tho. Lol.
Can I ask why you hate feminists?

Also, do you live in Japan? If so, did this influence your decision to come to Japan?
(#17 (permalink))
Old
quixote73 (Offline)
New to JF

09-13-2008, 07:32 AM

MissMisa, have you or do you live in Japan? If so, based on your own experience, do you find that Japan has more men with anti-feminist / misogynistic views than your home country?
(#18 (permalink))
Old
MissMisa (Offline)

09-13-2008, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quixote73 View Post
MissMisa, have you or do you live in Japan? If so, based on your own experience, do you find that Japan has more men with anti-feminist / misogynistic views than your home country?
No, I don't live in Japan, I live in England. In England to find someone who is anti-feminist is quite rare, as there is a lot of English history behind feminism which I think people who are knowledgeable about it really appreciate. Those people do exist in England but as far as I know it's quite uncommon to find someone with those views. A lot of men joke about women in such a manner but I don't think they actually believe we shouldn't have equal rights.
(#19 (permalink))
Old
quixote73 (Offline)
New to JF

09-13-2008, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissMisa View Post
No, I don't live in Japan, I live in England. In England to find someone who is anti-feminist is quite rare, as there is a lot of English history behind feminism which I think people who are knowledgeable about it really appreciate. Those people do exist in England but as far as I know it's quite uncommon to find someone with those views. A lot of men joke about women in such a manner but I don't think they actually believe we shouldn't have equal rights.
Have you ever lived in Japan?

What kind of jokes do you mean?
(#20 (permalink))
Old
MissMisa (Offline)

09-13-2008, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quixote73 View Post
Have you ever lived in Japan?

What kind of jokes do you mean?
No I haven't lived in Japan.

Well they just joke about women being their 'bitch' and how they can have sex with any of them and so on. I think it's just one of the 'lad' kind of jokes, but if you asked them I think very few of them would say that they believe women shouldn't be able to work/vote etc. There are also jokes about men too, like being drunk/stupid/clumsy and so on, so I don't take either too seriously.