JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
marcyo (Offline)
New to JF

Lacquered Plate - Gift from a friend's Mother - 09-12-2008, 11:31 PM

Hi there,

I have been searching all over to find out about the beautiful plate that our friend Takashi's mother gave to us. Takashi was my husband's roommate through college and his family took Takashi "under their wing" during the summer months when school was out. Anyway, last year we went to Hawaii for Takashi's wedding, and his mother has always wanted to thank Andrew for taking "care" of Takashi, and so she gave us the most BEAUTIFUL lacquered wooden plate wrapped in silk cloth.

Today, we went to an estate sale, and found a plate, not nearly as ornate and not lacquered, but what looked like a very special gift given to the woman who 's estate sale it was. Recognizing this, I bought it and now I want to clean it and get some general information about what this special gift really means, what it is called etc etc. I just want to know about this traditional and special gift.

Everything I have is in Japanese. I'd be happy to scan and upload the items that came with them if anyone can help.

Marcy
(#2 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

09-12-2008, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcyo View Post
Hi there,

I have been searching all over to find out about the beautiful plate that our friend Takashi's mother gave to us. Takashi was my husband's roommate through college and his family took Takashi "under their wing" during the summer months when school was out. Anyway, last year we went to Hawaii for Takashi's wedding, and his mother has always wanted to thank Andrew for taking "care" of Takashi, and so she gave us the most BEAUTIFUL lacquered wooden plate wrapped in silk cloth.

Today, we went to an estate sale, and found a plate, not nearly as ornate and not lacquered, but what looked like a very special gift given to the woman who 's estate sale it was. Recognizing this, I bought it and now I want to clean it and get some general information about what this special gift really means, what it is called etc etc. I just want to know about this traditional and special gift.

Everything I have is in Japanese. I'd be happy to scan and upload the items that came with them if anyone can help.

Marcy
I am sure someone can help. Please post some pictures.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
RadioKid (Offline)
Native Japanese

Send a message via Yahoo to RadioKid
09-13-2008, 12:43 AM

Japanese traditional Lacquer is called "urushi" which is not synthesized from chemicals but natural product from "urushi tree". It is made by being painted and dried repeatedly (sometimes over hundred times for high class products).

Wiki
Lacquerware - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Example
handmadejapan.com /Fushimi Maki's Bamboo and Urushi Lacquer Works

Urushi ware is often used as a gift in Japan. As for wedding, it is used as a gift displaying her family icon and her name on it to introduce the bride to husband's relatives in some district of Japan.

Language makes Culture and Culture makes Language.

Links to Japan forum Tips :
1) How to remove spam massages on you screen
2) How to post Youtube movies or Pictures

... and
Ask professional translator for your business work. You can not get useful business resources for free.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
marcyo (Offline)
New to JF

Thanks Radiokid - 09-13-2008, 01:44 AM

Thanks RAdiokid! That sure makes sense. Here's a photo of the plate that Takashi's mom gave us.
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3109/...2d4dc3.jpg?v=0

And the one that we picked up today:
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3077/...9b7096.jpg?v=0

There are more photos of it and the little booklets that came with them on my Flickr: simplysilly's Photostreamflickr site.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
RadioKid (Offline)
Native Japanese

09-13-2008, 07:02 AM

OK, the tray seems to have no special meaning. It is just a gift for you.

The panphlet is from the vender of the tray saying,
> Thank you for buying our product.
> To keep the tray beautiful forever, wash it with warm water and wipe it with soft cloth after use.
> Scrubbing brush, powder should not be used to clean it.
> If bland new tray smells, soak it in worm water for a while.

The vender of the tray is "Bunaco" http://bunaco.jp/ and you can see how it is made in bunaco here What's BUNACO .

RK

... and
Ask professional translator for your business work. You can not get useful business resources for free.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
marcyo (Offline)
New to JF

Smile thank you again - 09-13-2008, 01:44 PM

thank you again. Even the red lacquered plate can be washed the same? I don't believe this was a family crest but can't be sure.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
RadioKid (Offline)
Native Japanese

09-13-2008, 11:14 PM

Yes, you can wash even it is colored in red.

Japanese family crests (KAMON) are like these.

http://www.catseye.co.jp/koinobori/kamon.htm

RK

... and

Last edited by RadioKid : 09-13-2008 at 11:31 PM. Reason: correct grammar mistake