JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Salvanas (Offline)
Great, just my luck.

Do people have the right... - 09-24-2008, 04:49 PM

Countless times, I've heard teens tell me; "My life is so shit."

After talking them further, I ask them why and I get a "Because life, school, lessons, people are shit." This, as everyone knows, are the symptom's of the "brat" syndrome that lurks in most teens that age. We've had multiple 'suicides' because brats think their life is really THAT bad.

Now, again, I hear countless adults who say "I'm in debt/I've lost someone close, so I'm depressed" or something along those lines.

Now here are the questions.

---

1: Do kids have the right to commit suicide for such problems when we have people being raped, abused, dieing of starvation, or have some sort of lethal disease who still strive to survive?

2: Do adults really have the right to be depressed for long periods of time or (even at all) over such problems, when we have people being raped, abused, dieing of starvation, or have some sort of lethal disease who still strive to survive?

---

Keep it calm please, and try not to argue. Won't happen I know, but try not to.

- “I've been lucky. I'll be lucky again.” -
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Tyrien (Offline)
I'm e-vincible.

09-24-2008, 05:05 PM

It's all subjective to that person, regardless of those who listen feel it's correct or not.

Tyrien.DeviantArt~
As of 08/11/2008 5:33 PM Eastern Standard time I now officially own:
Miyavi, Kyo, Yuusuke, Maya, Gou, Aki, Aoi, Jun, Yusa, Jui, Key, Heechul, Yesung, Riku, Kei, Jyou, Satoshi, Takeru, Sin, Teddyloid, ♀Yooh♂, Reo, Tomoya, Tatsuro, Hitsugi, Kyoharu, Takanori Nishikawa, Jay Chou, Hirokai, Die, Kaoru, Shinya, and Toshiya.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
MissMisa (Offline)
Fashion, Games + Art Mod.

09-24-2008, 05:07 PM

I think sometimes people can be extremely ungrateful for what they have. I don't think that attribute is only something teenagers have - I don't want to talk about the age of someone in this because personally I feel it's irrelevant.

We are lucky we are able to be educated. As much as I used to hate school, I was grateful I had that right to education. Some days I did feel low. I was bullied a lot at school, and as a result I had no self-esteem for a long time. However, I was still grateful, even though some days were tough.

Some people look at things differently to others. Something that may be nothing to someone else, may be a serious issue for another person. Sometimes, it's just plain selfishness and ungratefulness, and I don't doubt people like that exist for a second. But I try not to be judgmental, because peoples problems can run deeper than they appear on the outside.

I don't think we have the right to judge if someone is allowed to be depressed. Ungratefulness frustrates me terribly, but depression is not something anybody chooses. A teen saying 'school is shit,' is not depression really.

I think being grateful for what you have is the key to being a happy person. Despite things being bad, you can see the good things you have and move on. Suicide is very devastating for a family to deal with. But it's not something done lightly, and very rarely committed for no apparent reason. How bad things are for people are up to themselves.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
ivi0nk3y (Offline)
Calm Like A Bomb

09-24-2008, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salvanas View Post
Countless times, I've heard teens tell me; "My life is so shit."

After talking them further, I ask them why and I get a "Because life, school, lessons, people are shit." This, as everyone knows, are the symptom's of the "brat" syndrome that lurks in most teens that age. We've had multiple 'suicides' because brats think their life is really THAT bad.

Now, again, I hear countless adults who say "I'm in debt/I've lost someone close, so I'm depressed" or something along those lines.

Now here are the questions.

---

1: Do kids have the right to commit suicide for such problems when we have people being raped, abused, dieing of starvation, or have some sort of lethal disease who still strive to survive?

2: Do adults really have the right to be depressed for long periods of time or (even at all) over such problems, when we have people being raped, abused, dieing of starvation, or have some sort of lethal disease who still strive to survive?

---

Keep it calm please, and try not to argue. Won't happen I know, but try not to.
Well that's the problem. Everyone has the "choice" to do what they want.

Rights are imbued by people in power. I think as far as that definiton goes, most societies give "rights" to a person to feel what they must.

In this day and age people in our society have more "rights" than ever before.
However in having these rights, I think there is less freedom because those "rights" require paperwork. At the end of the day, "rights" are a way for people in power to define what choices are allowed or not.

What a person does or feels in their own privacy, is left largely down to them.
So unless it effects someone else, they have every right to be depressed and be a brat, if they want to be. Hell sometimes it may even be justified.
Its then up to that person to want to be different or to feel different. If they don't, they will just dig themselves a hole and have a bad life in the long run.
That ultimately is their test.

When it comes down to suicide, that of course shouldn't be the right of anyone but its very hard for anyone enforcing the law to stop someone if they want to kill themselves.
As far as Euthanasia is concerned, I don't know if it should be allowed simply because throwing your life away in such a situation leads a bad example. Where do you draw the line then to when and how someone can kill themselves?

Anyway as it can be seen, the questions you've asked are more complicated and cover more issues than just the one of having rights.

Truth Hurts

LIFE THREATENING
Lifestyles
A HITMAN, A NUN
Lovers

Last edited by ivi0nk3y : 09-24-2008 at 05:20 PM.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
Crani (Offline)
Sillyassauros

Send a message via MSN to Crani
09-24-2008, 05:31 PM

Age is relative, most teens, do to hormonal related problems, which can be aggravated by the environment they live in, they don't get what's the point of living (I don't know either, but trying to find it is part of the game, so I'm gonna keep playing it) and just chose to end it, because they can't take a little pressure, because they passed there childhood doing nothing and know a small problem appears and they freak out.
As for depression, everybody is intituled to have them once in a while and I won't blame them, you don't choice when it's going to happen, as long as they don't fuck things up for another person.

Natural Born Headbanger
\m/

TAG Game
Score: Crani:51
(#6 (permalink))
Old
MissMisa (Offline)

09-24-2008, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivi0nk3y View Post
When it comes down to suicide, that of course shouldn't be the right of anyone but its very hard for anyone enforcing the law to stop someone if they want to kill themselves.
I don't agree. I think if the person wants to die, that is their choice. But that just depends on your beliefs. The law and some religions say it's wrong to take your own life, but I think that choice should be yours and yours alone.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
ivi0nk3y (Offline)
Calm Like A Bomb

09-24-2008, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissMisa View Post
I don't agree. I think if the person wants to die, that is their choice. But that just depends on your beliefs. The law and some religions say it's wrong to take your own life, but I think that choice should be yours and yours alone.
I knew you'd have a problem with that.

You didn't respond to my question about where the line should be drawn. Is there a pain-o-meter reading that a doctor can make a judgement on to let a patient die? Should only people who are terminally ill and in pain be allowed to die? Do you kill kids in the same position or do you give them the best chance to live, despite the pain they might be feeling?
As much as I sympathise with people who are in pain and want it to end, it just doesn't set a good example and opens up an icky can of worms.
I think it would also lead to less medical discoveries in how to stop the pain and cure people, if suddenly Euthanasia became widespread and accepted by the world.

Truth Hurts

LIFE THREATENING
Lifestyles
A HITMAN, A NUN
Lovers
(#8 (permalink))
Old
Salvanas (Offline)
Great, just my luck.

09-24-2008, 05:42 PM

Quote:
I find suicide for something that is less than life ending, a selfish thing to do.

In africa, for example, are people there committing suicide? Are the people that have lethal diseases committing suicide?

No they aren't. They are striving to survive. The people who end their lives for something like someone close dieing, or debt problems, and the like, come across to me as selfish human beings.

- “I've been lucky. I'll be lucky again.” -
(#9 (permalink))
Old
MissMisa (Offline)

09-24-2008, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivi0nk3y View Post
I knew you'd have a problem with that.

You didn't respond to my question about where the line should be drawn. Is there a pain-o-meter reading that a doctor can make a judgement on to let a patient die? Should only people who are terminally ill and in pain be allowed to die? Do you kill kids in the same position or do you give them the best chance to live, despite the pain they might be feeling?
As much as I sympathise with people who are in pain and want it to end, it just doesn't set a good example and opens up an icky can of worms.
I think it would also lead to less medical discoveries in how to stop the pain and cure people, if suddenly Euthanasia became widespread and accepted by the world.
In my opinion the line shouldn't be drawn. If a person wants to die, then I believe that's their choice. If they are going to kill themselves then I don't believe it's my place (or anyone else but themselves) to tell them not to. That's what I mean.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salvanas View Post
I find suicide for something that is less than life ending, a selfish thing to do.

In africa, for example, are people there committing suicide? Are the people that have lethal diseases committing suicide?

No they aren't. They are striving to survive. The people who end their lives for something like someone close dieing, or debt problems, and the like, come across to me as selfish human beings.
I never said it wasn't selfish. I agree it's wholly selfish. My uncle committed suicide and even though he was deeply unhappy he still left all his family behind.
(#10 (permalink))
Old
ivi0nk3y (Offline)
Calm Like A Bomb

09-24-2008, 05:45 PM

Quote:
In my opinion the line shouldn't be drawn. If a person wants to die, then I believe that's their choice. If they are going to kill themselves then I don't believe it's my place (or anyone else but themselves) to tell them not to. That's what I mean.
Ok then I believe that is absolutely wrong. It heightens the problems I stated in my previous thread, dramatically.

Therefore I will play the "agree to disagree" card.

Truth Hurts

LIFE THREATENING
Lifestyles
A HITMAN, A NUN
Lovers