JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Yuna7780 (Offline)
I'm Missh Yuna! ♥

Reasons to tell my dad to "graduate" from dial-up. - 10-25-2008, 06:56 PM

Hello, there! As Urikosrandomstalker and I were discussing in another thread... I need something other than dial-up internet.

I'm getting sick of this. My internet costs $10 a month for unlimited use and it's a piece of SHIT! On top of it, it's provided by Wal-Mart and AOL!

About a year ago, my internet would not randomly log off on me like it does now. Apparently, what people have told me, is that within my neighborhood is that my internet is making everybody else's internet slower because my internet takes up a lot of "space" to surf the web. That's why it randomly logs off every few minutes, distrupting everything I'm doing. I don't know the technical terms, but that's the best I can describe what people have told me. Also, 50% of the time it logs off, it's a telemarketer calling and distrupting EVERYTHING.

Before my internet would randomly log off, a five minute YouTube video took about 2-3 hours to load.

I can't do any homework on my computer. I've gone through so many mental breakdowns on homework and projects and my dad STILL doesn't listen! Once I spent about 10 hours after school, during study hall, going to the library, and to my friend's house to create a powerpoint for school! And it was for an honors class with the most bitchy teacher! How fun is that?!

I can't even get proper updates on my computer anymore! Nope! I can't even download things my computer tells me to download because of my internet randomly logging off on me!

I would like everybody here to help me think of really powerful things to tell my dad to get internet that doesn't involve a 75ft cord from my room to my brothers to plug into the phonejack.

I'm getting sick of this, after five years of suffering. My mom is even pissed off because all of her free work offers and things we want to do can't even load online.

Thanks for reading!
~Yuna7780
(#2 (permalink))
Old
UrikosRandomStalker (Offline)
JF Old Timer

10-25-2008, 06:58 PM

my first question would be what is the reason why your dad wouldn't get a new internet? money? stubbornness?
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Yuna7780 (Offline)
I'm Missh Yuna! ♥

10-25-2008, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrikosRandomStalker View Post
my first question would be what is the reason why your dad wouldn't get a new internet? money? stubbornness?
Both. I'm also trying to get cable in our house because there's nothing to watch on TV.

I wouldn't say we're poor, but it'd be really hard to afford something better than dial-up and getting cable.

Thanks for reading!
~Yuna7780
(#4 (permalink))
Old
JF Old Timer

10-25-2008, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuna7780 View Post
Both. I'm also trying to get cable in our house because there's nothing to watch on TV.

I wouldn't say we're poor, but it'd be really hard to afford something better than dial-up and getting cable.
well then the first step is to know which is better for the family. cable or high-speed internet
(#5 (permalink))
Old
XjapanFOREVER (Offline)
In X we Trust

Send a message via MSN to XjapanFOREVER
10-25-2008, 07:04 PM

anything on cable you could download via torrent sites such as thepiratebay
I don't have cable, but I've never missed an episode of MythBusters..

Microsoft is making computer's just like air conditioners; they work properly until you open WINDOWS.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
Yuna7780 (Offline)
I'm Missh Yuna! ♥

10-25-2008, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrikosRandomStalker View Post
well then the first step is to know which is better for the family. cable or high-speed internet
I think another major factor in this is that my dad would not benefit from cable nor high-speed internet. My dad listens to the radio, watches shows/movies in black and white only (with the exception for very few modern shows), and he doesn't know how to use a computer for his life.

I'd say that the internet would be more beneficial because we can watch shows online and my brother is in college and needs a good computer too.

Thanks for reading!
~Yuna7780
(#7 (permalink))
Old
JF Old Timer

10-25-2008, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XjapanFOREVER View Post
anything on cable you could download via torrent sites such as thepiratebay
I don't have cable, but I've never missed an episode of MythBusters..
this is true. lol
(#8 (permalink))
Old
Payne222 (Offline)
un américain

10-25-2008, 07:06 PM

Quote:

The Comcast Triple Play is pretty cheap for the first few months.
If you don't want that, AT&T has something similar.
If your neighbors have WiFi...buy a router and mooch off of them
until you can get Comcast or whatever on your own.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
JF Old Timer

10-25-2008, 07:06 PM

Quote:
I think another major factor in this is that my dad would not benefit from cable nor high-speed internet. My dad listens to the radio, watches shows/movies in black and white only (with the exception for very few modern shows), and he doesn't know how to use a computer for his life.

I'd say that the internet would be more beneficial because we can watch shows online and my brother is in college and needs a good computer too.
....my god. i've never seen that before from a person.

you could use high speed internet to watch those old old movies. and i don't see how he could be a good parent if he doesn't realize that students these days need high speed internet for school -_-
(#10 (permalink))
Old
Koir (Offline)
Meow.

10-25-2008, 07:07 PM

The most persuasive argument would revolve around money and how effectively the service paid for would be used (hey, I'm using my Business Accountancy knowledge!).

Nowadays, high-speed internet is almost becoming a necessity. Unless you're in a dead zone where everyone else around you can get high-speed and you can't, having a faster always-on connection is very useful.

From my experience, having high-speed internet can also reduce or eliminate the need to have cable television. Most of the stuff on "regular" TV is not worth watching anyway, and the websites of the major networks frequently put up whole episodes of the series they broadcast for viewing online anyway.

But yeah. Cost first, then benefits realized from spending that money. Good luck!

Fortunately, there is one woman in this world who can control me.

Unfortunately for you, she is not here.

"Ride for ruin, and the world ended!"