JapanForum.com

JapanForum.com (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/)
-   General Discussion (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/general-discussion/)
-   -   Reasons to tell my dad to "graduate" from dial-up. (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/general-discussion/20329-reasons-tell-my-dad-%22graduate%22-dial-up.html)

Yuna7780 10-25-2008 06:56 PM

Reasons to tell my dad to "graduate" from dial-up.

Hello, there! As Urikosrandomstalker and I were discussing in another thread... I need something other than dial-up internet.

I'm getting sick of this. My internet costs $10 a month for unlimited use and it's a piece of SHIT! On top of it, it's provided by Wal-Mart and AOL! :coldbear:

About a year ago, my internet would not randomly log off on me like it does now. Apparently, what people have told me, is that within my neighborhood is that my internet is making everybody else's internet slower because my internet takes up a lot of "space" to surf the web. That's why it randomly logs off every few minutes, distrupting everything I'm doing. I don't know the technical terms, but that's the best I can describe what people have told me. Also, 50% of the time it logs off, it's a telemarketer calling and distrupting EVERYTHING.

Before my internet would randomly log off, a five minute YouTube video took about 2-3 hours to load.

I can't do any homework on my computer. I've gone through so many mental breakdowns on homework and projects and my dad STILL doesn't listen! Once I spent about 10 hours after school, during study hall, going to the library, and to my friend's house to create a powerpoint for school! And it was for an honors class with the most bitchy teacher! How fun is that?! :smokingbear:

I can't even get proper updates on my computer anymore! Nope! I can't even download things my computer tells me to download because of my internet randomly logging off on me!

I would like everybody here to help me think of really powerful things to tell my dad to get internet that doesn't involve a 75ft cord from my room to my brothers to plug into the phonejack.

I'm getting sick of this, after five years of suffering. My mom is even pissed off because all of her free work offers and things we want to do can't even load online.

UrikosRandomStalker 10-25-2008 06:58 PM

my first question would be what is the reason why your dad wouldn't get a new internet? money? stubbornness?

Yuna7780 10-25-2008 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UrikosRandomStalker (Post 615558)
my first question would be what is the reason why your dad wouldn't get a new internet? money? stubbornness?

Both. I'm also trying to get cable in our house because there's nothing to watch on TV.

I wouldn't say we're poor, but it'd be really hard to afford something better than dial-up and getting cable.

UrikosRandomStalker 10-25-2008 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yuna7780 (Post 615559)
Both. I'm also trying to get cable in our house because there's nothing to watch on TV.

I wouldn't say we're poor, but it'd be really hard to afford something better than dial-up and getting cable.

well then the first step is to know which is better for the family. cable or high-speed internet

XjapanFOREVER 10-25-2008 07:04 PM

anything on cable you could download via torrent sites such as thepiratebay
I don't have cable, but I've never missed an episode of MythBusters..

Yuna7780 10-25-2008 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UrikosRandomStalker (Post 615560)
well then the first step is to know which is better for the family. cable or high-speed internet

I think another major factor in this is that my dad would not benefit from cable nor high-speed internet. My dad listens to the radio, watches shows/movies in black and white only (with the exception for very few modern shows), and he doesn't know how to use a computer for his life.

I'd say that the internet would be more beneficial because we can watch shows online and my brother is in college and needs a good computer too.

UrikosRandomStalker 10-25-2008 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by XjapanFOREVER (Post 615561)
anything on cable you could download via torrent sites such as thepiratebay
I don't have cable, but I've never missed an episode of MythBusters..

this is true. lol

Payne222 10-25-2008 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yuna7780 (Post 615559)

The Comcast Triple Play is pretty cheap for the first few months.
If you don't want that, AT&T has something similar.
If your neighbors have WiFi...buy a router and mooch off of them
until you can get Comcast or whatever on your own.

UrikosRandomStalker 10-25-2008 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yuna7780 (Post 615562)
I think another major factor in this is that my dad would not benefit from cable nor high-speed internet. My dad listens to the radio, watches shows/movies in black and white only (with the exception for very few modern shows), and he doesn't know how to use a computer for his life.

I'd say that the internet would be more beneficial because we can watch shows online and my brother is in college and needs a good computer too.

....my god. i've never seen that before from a person.

you could use high speed internet to watch those old old movies. and i don't see how he could be a good parent if he doesn't realize that students these days need high speed internet for school -_-

Koir 10-25-2008 07:07 PM

The most persuasive argument would revolve around money and how effectively the service paid for would be used (hey, I'm using my Business Accountancy knowledge!).

Nowadays, high-speed internet is almost becoming a necessity. Unless you're in a dead zone where everyone else around you can get high-speed and you can't, having a faster always-on connection is very useful.

From my experience, having high-speed internet can also reduce or eliminate the need to have cable television. Most of the stuff on "regular" TV is not worth watching anyway, and the websites of the major networks frequently put up whole episodes of the series they broadcast for viewing online anyway.

But yeah. Cost first, then benefits realized from spending that money. Good luck!

UrikosRandomStalker 10-25-2008 07:14 PM

yeah you could leech internet from a wireless router from your neighbor.

but seriously, i would use the "students need high speed internet" and the "we can watch old movies you couldn't watch before" excuses. the best part is that they're actually true :)

Yuna7780 10-25-2008 07:15 PM

I'm not trying to be rude in any way, but I need to think of something REALLY good to say to my dad. I've told him everything that you all have said and what I already said, and I need something new to bring up.

I'm slowly turning into a basket case and put way too much extra time into everything online.

My kick-ass neighbors even gave my dad TONS of information on stuff that's not expensive and he still hasn't done anything.

Payne222 10-25-2008 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yuna7780 (Post 615573)
I'm not trying to be rude in any way, but I need to think of something REALLY good to say to my dad. I've told him everything that you all have said and what I already said, and I need something new to bring up.

I'm slowly turning into a basket case and put way too much extra time into everything online.

My kick-ass neighbors even gave my dad TONS of information on stuff that's not expensive and he still hasn't done anything.

Well then if he doesn't want it, he doesn't want it.
Guess you'll be stuck at the library doing homework then.
Seems like his mind is pretty made up from how you present it.

UrikosRandomStalker 10-25-2008 07:19 PM

hmmm...then maybe we need a different approach to this.

lets try to scare him :D

is there something he's paranoid about happening? example: my dad is paranoid that when we used dial up, we would always get disconected and he would be losing money on online poker.

now i know that was an internet related fear. but there's plenty of other stuff that the internet can help solve / prevent

Yuna7780 10-25-2008 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Payne222 (Post 615574)
Well then if he doesn't want it, he doesn't want it.
Guess you'll be stuck at the library doing homework then.
Seems like his mind is pretty made up from how you present it.

What really pisses me off is that the whole house would benefit from the internet and he doesn't realize it.

I can't go to the library anymore. Librarians scare me.

UrikosRandomStalker 10-25-2008 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yuna7780 (Post 615579)
What really pisses me off is that the whole house would benefit from the internet and he doesn't realize it.

I can't go to the library anymore. Librarians scare me.

how do they scare you? o.O

Yuna7780 10-25-2008 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UrikosRandomStalker (Post 615576)
hmmm...then maybe we need a different approach to this.

lets try to scare him :D

is there something he's paranoid about happening? example: my dad is paranoid that when we used dial up, we would always get disconected and he would be losing money on online poker.

now i know that was an internet related fear. but there's plenty of other stuff that the internet can help solve / prevent

I think I'm going to make up that by March 24, 2009 (or some date soon to come) dial-up internet will not be able to exist anymore. The only reason, other than my mom ALWAYS talking about it, that my brother was able to purchase HUUUUGE HDTV in our house is because it'd be able to support TV before everything is all digital.

I'm trying to think of an effective way to launch my plan, though...

UrikosRandomStalker 10-25-2008 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yuna7780 (Post 615581)
I think I'm going to make up that by March 24, 2009 (or some date soon to come) dial-up internet will not be able to exist anymore. The only reason, other than my mom ALWAYS talking about it, that my brother was able to purchase HUUUUGE HDTV in our house is because it'd be able to support TV before everything is all digital.

I'm trying to think of an effective way to launch my plan, though...

does your dad use your internet? cause he won't care about that if your dad doesn't use it >_<

Yuna7780 10-25-2008 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UrikosRandomStalker (Post 615580)

They just do. They're always very rude to everybody and before the library closes, they turn off ALL the lights and stuff fifteen minutes before you have to leave.

Yuna7780 10-25-2008 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UrikosRandomStalker (Post 615582)
does your dad use your internet? cause he won't care about that if your dad doesn't use it >_<

In this case he'll care. This means we just can't get the bare minimun anymore to let me do something online, it'll threaten my school work more than it has before.

Koir 10-25-2008 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UrikosRandomStalker (Post 615580)

Maybe she's been watching the first Ghostbusters movie too much to be healthy...

On topic:

Sounds like your father's mind is made up. His logic makes sense to him: he doesn't know how to use a computer, his entertainment needs are being met, so something like a faster always-on connection to this "Internet" thing is a completely unnecessary luxury.

UrikosRandomStalker 10-25-2008 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yuna7780 (Post 615585)
In this case he'll care. This means we just can't get the bare minimun anymore to let me do something online, it'll threaten my school work more than it has before.

sweet. that sounds good. now what did you mean by "launching my plan"? cause no matter what, you're getting it in 2009. did you need help getting it earlier?

Yuna7780 10-25-2008 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UrikosRandomStalker (Post 615587)
sweet. that sounds good. now what did you mean by "launching my plan"? cause no matter what, you're getting it in 2009. did you need help getting it earlier?

See, there needs to be preperation time. I need to print off "adverstisements" and show my dad, etc.

UrikosRandomStalker 10-25-2008 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yuna7780 (Post 615590)
See, there needs to be preperation time. I need to print off "adverstisements" and show my dad, etc.

well i can help with that. honestly, i'm sitting here bored. i'm just going through to make sure i subbed ".hack//GU on crack" to meet the quality i shoot for (i don't wanna go into too much detail here since it's off topic). but anyway, give me some time. i can help with that.

UrikosRandomStalker 10-25-2008 07:37 PM

it seems that the digital TV thingy starts on feb 17, 2009. how do you know when this internet thing happens? where did you find this out?

Yuna7780 10-25-2008 07:37 PM

Thank you. I also thought of the idea of forging a newsletter from my school saying that it's HIGHLY recommended that all students have highspeed internet for the "new" grade viewer or something.

DagothUr 10-25-2008 07:37 PM

Try to make it apply to his life too. Is there anything he does online?

Yuna7780 10-25-2008 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UrikosRandomStalker (Post 615594)
it seems that the digital TV thingy starts on feb 17, 2009. how do you know when this internet thing happens? where did you find this out?

This is what I was implying about how I need to prepare for my plan.

I'm assuming that because I needed to look up stuff on a website for my parents and find the information for Digital TV, they won't be able to go online and I can just give them the information.

I can print out fake webpages with the adress on the sheet, time, page 1 of 3, etc. I have a decent program where I can alter stuff and make my own fake webpage and print it.

I can't talk much more right now because I have a tennis appointment in twenty minutes.

UrikosRandomStalker 10-25-2008 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yuna7780 (Post 615600)
This is what I was implying about how I need to prepare for my plan.

I'm assuming that because I needed to look up stuff on a website for my parents and find the information for Digital TV, they won't be able to go online and I can just give them the information.

I can print out fake webpages with the adress on the sheet, time, page 1 of 3, etc. I have a decent program where I can alter stuff and make my own fake webpage and print it.

I can't talk much more right now because I have a tennis appointment in twenty minutes.

lol. so you want to make fake stuff to trick them.

i like that :D

Aniki 10-25-2008 07:46 PM

Save some cash, buy a gun, point it at your dad and say: Hello daddy, lets talk about the Internet again, something tells me you're gonna listen to me now.
After this he should agree with everything you say.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yuna7780 (Post 615557)
My Internet costs $10 a month for unlimited use and it's a piece of SHIT!

Man, and I thought for $10 bucks you can have at least a decent Internet in America

UrikosRandomStalker 10-25-2008 07:46 PM

did you wanna use an actual site logo? cause you could use the FCC's logo to make a fake website. the only issue is that they could easily look up Federal Communications Commission (FCC) Home Page. but since the digital TV thingy was made by the FCC, i thought it might help

Yuna7780 10-25-2008 07:46 PM

I can also tell my friends to talk about this with my dad. Get into a computer conversation... then," hey! didja hear about....?"

Might I add some irony? I have dial-up shitty-kong internet, and I know how to work compturs and fix problems more than all my friends with high-speed internet. I know how to work their computers better than know how to work it themselves.

UrikosRandomStalker 10-25-2008 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aniki (Post 615603)
Man, and I thought $10 bucks you can have at least a decent Internet in America

i wish that was true. america has some laws limiting the internet's use or something like that. i just know that the law makes the internet more harder to control, thus needing more money to handle it.

UrikosRandomStalker 10-25-2008 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yuna7780 (Post 615605)
I can also tell my friends to talk about this with my dad. Get into a computer conversation... then," hey! didja hear about....?"

if your friend's dad does that for you, that would be amazing. i can never find parents around here to lie for me. lol

DagothUr 10-25-2008 07:49 PM

It's not that man! It's just to get more money.

KikiBunny23 10-25-2008 07:55 PM

well, we have DirecTV and it comes with [somewhat] high speed internet and satellite. Its ok, better than Dish[what we used to have] but I'm not sure what the cost is.

Tyrien 10-25-2008 08:00 PM

Get a job and pay for it yourself.

DagothUr 10-25-2008 08:02 PM

Wait... How old IS he/she?

UrikosRandomStalker 10-25-2008 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DagothUr (Post 615623)
Wait... How old IS he/she?

not sure. but i felt bad that she didn't have fast internet. so i asked her to make this thread :)

EDIT: lol. i guess i'm asuming she's a girl cause of the user name and the avatar

DagothUr 10-25-2008 08:06 PM

Well, worst comes to worst and she could just beg/nag until she gets her way. That always seemes to work with my sister...

{this all assuming she/he is a girl}