JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
peterv20 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

japanese whaling - 11-15-2008, 05:00 AM

are there any whaling heros in japan's history?like captain ahab?
(#2 (permalink))
Old
theAlphaDuck (Offline)
Banned

11-15-2008, 10:49 AM

whaling is wrong...
(#3 (permalink))
Old
LightningSaix73 (Offline)
New to JF

Send a message via MSN to LightningSaix73
11-17-2008, 04:33 AM

The Nautical Fiction List: Page 11 of 15

Nicol, C. W.
Harpoon, 1987 (Japanese 19th century whaling epic as told from the point
of view of two brothers from a Japaneses whaling village -- one who
stays in the village pursuing traditional Japanese whaling practices,
the second who leave to learn how the Gaijin westerners whale. "Worth
reading." [ML])

This is the closest thing I've found to it.

Be Happy! Be Happy! \( ^_^)/
(#4 (permalink))
Old
BakaCrisis (Offline)
(。・_・。)σ

Send a message via AIM to BakaCrisis Send a message via MSN to BakaCrisis Send a message via Skype™ to BakaCrisis
11-17-2008, 04:39 AM

Oh noo0o0 Whaling!!!! ..... Seriously, I could care less about wales....

ホエ?o(゚〜゚o)???(o゚〜゚)oホエ?

Ok, I take that back.

Teach me Japanese (Skype: davidh053090 )
(#5 (permalink))
Old
alexlovesrock (Offline)
JF Regular

whaling - 11-17-2008, 07:21 AM

I think whaling is completely OK. I am a vegetarian, and I have been my whole life. But, it is hypocritical for westerners to say killing chickens and cows is ok but killing dogs and wales its not right. Its cultural arrogance. Animals are animals. As long as you aren't hunting whales to extinction, there is no argument against whaling, unless you are arguing that humans should not eat animals at all.

So many people go out and protest against whaling then eat their steaks. Hypocrites.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
MissMisa (Offline)
Fashion, Games + Art Mod.

11-17-2008, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexlovesrock View Post
I think whaling is completely OK. I am a vegetarian, and I have been my whole life. But, it is hypocritical for westerners to say killing chickens and cows is ok but killing dogs and wales its not right. Its cultural arrogance. Animals are animals. As long as you aren't hunting whales to extinction, there is no argument against whaling, unless you are arguing that humans should not eat animals at all.

So many people go out and protest against whaling then eat their steaks. Hypocrites.
No. They are hunting whales to extinction. If there were only a few hundred chickens in the world, I wouldn't eat them either because they'd be almost extinct. If there were plenty of whales to go around then fair enough, but there isn't and never will be because of this. Besides that, animals that are killed are killed to be eaten. Whales are normally not killed to be eaten, they are killed for remedies that we don't need. There is a difference between killing for food which happens all around the animal kingdom, and killing for some pointless reason. It's not okay to kill anything for no particular reason.

And don't you think it's a bit hypocritical that you are a vegetarian yet you think killing for no reason is alright?
(#7 (permalink))
Old
Ronin4hire (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

11-17-2008, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissMisa View Post
No. They are hunting whales to extinction. If there were only a few hundred chickens in the world, I wouldn't eat them either because they'd be almost extinct. If there were plenty of whales to go around then fair enough, but there isn't and never will be because of this.
Hmmm... that doesn't sound right. From what I've heard, the Japanese have a quota system which allows them to hunt certain whale species because these species have now come off the endangered list due to their rise in numbers. The quota means they can take from the population without making them endangered again.

At the end of the day I'm against whaling simply because it's a cruel and painful death for the whale and as you say... it is not needed.

But I too think it's hypocritical for people to defend whales because they think they are majestic creatures when we don't give a crap what Hindus think when we bite into a juicy burger (Hindus believe cows are sacred)
(#8 (permalink))
Old
theAlphaDuck (Offline)
Banned

11-17-2008, 11:44 AM

there is a BIG difference between FARMING an animal for food...esp. one as dumb as a chicken or cow...

and HUNTING an intelligent creature in its natural Habitat...

also chickens and cows are killed humanly.....

whales have a grenade triggered harpoon fired into them and have a long and Painfull DEATH....if you did the same thing to a cow...in this country...you would be imprisoned for ANIMAL CRUELTY..
(#9 (permalink))
Old
yuujirou (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Send a message via AIM to yuujirou
11-17-2008, 12:17 PM

yum x]
wale sashimi <3

In the shadows beneath the trees he waits.
In the darkness under the moon he plots
In the silence of the night he kills.
(#10 (permalink))
Old
Wasabista (Offline)
JF Old Timer

11-17-2008, 12:19 PM

Whaling advocates in Japan claim that certain species of whales are endangered while some have rapidly growing populations. I don't know one way or the other, but it does seem clear that Japan places specific quotas on specific species of whale.

What is odd, though, is that whaling doesn't even make economic sense. Whale meat is not popular in Japan, so Japanese consumers don't buy much of it -- and they would buy even less except for the subsidies being paid to the whalers.

That's right -- taxpayer money is being paid to whalers to kill animals to make food people don't want to buy, making the whole world mad at Japan. Incentives can be weird sometimes.

『辛かった」といえる前に
「辛かったろう」と言ってくれる