JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
ozkai (Offline)
X Kyoto

Thumbs up Boxing in Japan from Thailand - 09-10-2009, 06:43 AM

When I was living in Japan, I noticed how much Japanese love sports like boxing, wrestling and Sumo.

I know recently many women have taken up such sports (does that include Sumo?), not only in Japan but also around the globe.

Obviously boxing is a graet fitness sport and as the article state, also enhances cordination.

To me it's funny how the Japanese seem to have re-invented something by re-naming it "Kick Boxing" instead of keeping with tradition of using "Thai"

I was browsing boxing sites today and somehow stumbled on this info which I found interesting.

Kick Boxing History

"Kick-boxing" was created by a Japanese promotor of boxing matches in the 1950s, Mr. Osamu Noguchi. He wanted to introduce to the Japanese people what he had seen in Thailand. Therefore he sent some Thai boxers to Japan and founded the Japan Kickboxing Association. He named the new martial art "kick-boxing". The first kickboxer around the world is Tadashi Sawamura (real name: Hideki Shiraha) a Japanese karate fighter. Kick-boxing enhances cordination and fitness.

Maybe Tenchu can answer what the actual name of the sport is

Is it called "Kick Boxing", "Muay Thai", or "Thai Kick Boxing"?

Confusion seems to be happening

Cheers - Oz
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Tenchu (Offline)
-

09-10-2009, 08:24 AM

All I'm familiar with in Japan is they have K-1; the biggest stand-up fighting competition in the world.

They do not do Muay thai in japan, it is K-1 based (so, Japanese Kick Boxing is based on a ruleset, not a tradition). They do not hit with elbows (not many events allow elbow strikes other than Muay Thai because it is very dangerous).

They also do not do clinching. Clinching is where you get very close to the opponent (basically hugging him), and try to throw him. It's very similar to Judo, but in Muay Thai people do not lower their heads to get a good throw, because the knee of their opponent will surely hit them, making it a unique style of wrestling.

You can't do elbows or clinching in K-1, so it's not Muay Thai.

As for Sumo, women don't do it. I'm not an expert on Sumo, but I'm guessing having a woman do it would be an insult to Japanese tradition.

Even in Muay Thai, in the large stadiums in Bangkok (Lumpinee and Rachadamnoen), women are not allowed to even touch the ring, let alone get in it to fight.

Some Thai fighters go as far as they won't even let a woman touch them whilst they're preparing for a fight coz they think it's bad luck and their girliness is contagious (yup, they're dumb like that).

The eternal Saint is calling, through the ages she has told. The ages have not listened; the will of faith has grown old…

For forever she will wander, for forever she withholds; the Demon King is on his way, you’d best not be learned untold…

Last edited by Tenchu : 09-10-2009 at 08:26 AM.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
ozkai (Offline)
X Kyoto

09-10-2009, 09:26 AM

I forgot the Ki with Mr. Bob Sapp

I think the touching part is more to do with Bhudism.

Didn't they have Muay Thai fighter women, or hang on, was she a Katoey?

Cheers - Oz
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Tenchu (Offline)
-

09-10-2009, 09:28 AM

No. Women can still fight, but just not in the big stadiums, and some traditional men refuse to train with them. But they're welcome in the small time here.

Ladyboys fight too... sometimes they fight men, it's funny.

The eternal Saint is calling, through the ages she has told. The ages have not listened; the will of faith has grown old…

For forever she will wander, for forever she withholds; the Demon King is on his way, you’d best not be learned untold…
(#5 (permalink))
Old
ozkai (Offline)
X Kyoto

09-10-2009, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenchu View Post
No. Women can still fight, but just not in the big stadiums, and some traditional men refuse to train with them. But they're welcome in the small time here.

Ladyboys fight too... sometimes they fight men, it's funny.
Sounds funny.. I was always scared to go near those LB's

I have been to Thailand many times and have local friends, bangkok, Chonburri and Chiang Mai. Have travelled by driving many many times for long periods.. That North east long the river is great and high North, Mae Slaong Mae Sai so interesting..

Never ever went to a Muay Thai match.. No idea why.. May I was to busy at the Soi with Singha

Do you fight in Competition or train?

Sounds really interesting..

Cheers - Oz
(#6 (permalink))
Old
trunker (Offline)
JF Old Timer

09-10-2009, 11:28 AM

womens sumo,... now that i would pay to see.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
ozkai (Offline)
X Kyoto

09-10-2009, 12:55 PM

That would be good

I think that Japanese Sumo is worse than Muay Thai when it comes to women..

I also heard that woment are not allowed behind the ropes

Cheers - Oz
(#8 (permalink))
Old
tksensei (Offline)
JF Old Timer

09-10-2009, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenchu View Post
All I'm familiar with in Japan is they have K-1; the biggest stand-up fighting competition in the world.

They do not do Muay thai in japan, it is K-1 based (so, Japanese Kick Boxing is based on a ruleset, not a tradition). They do not hit with elbows (not many events allow elbow strikes other than Muay Thai because it is very dangerous).

They also do not do clinching. Clinching is where you get very close to the opponent (basically hugging him), and try to throw him. It's very similar to Judo, but in Muay Thai people do not lower their heads to get a good throw, because the knee of their opponent will surely hit them, making it a unique style of wrestling.

You can't do elbows or clinching in K-1, so it's not Muay Thai.

As for Sumo, women don't do it. I'm not an expert on Sumo, but I'm guessing having a woman do it would be an insult to Japanese tradition.

Even in Muay Thai, in the large stadiums in Bangkok (Lumpinee and Rachadamnoen), women are not allowed to even touch the ring, let alone get in it to fight.

Some Thai fighters go as far as they won't even let a woman touch them whilst they're preparing for a fight coz they think it's bad luck and their girliness is contagious (yup, they're dumb like that).

Of course some people train Muay Thai in Japan.

And there is a tradition of women's Sumo (though it's a bit seedy).
(#9 (permalink))
Old
tksensei (Offline)
JF Old Timer

09-10-2009, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozkai View Post
That would be good

I think that Japanese Sumo is worse than Muay Thai when it comes to women..

I also heard that woment are not allowed behind the ropes

There are no ropes, but women are not allowed on the dohyo.
(#10 (permalink))
Old
ozkai (Offline)
X Kyoto

09-10-2009, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tksensei View Post
There are no ropes, but women are not allowed on the dohyo.
I thought the 相撲 ring (土俵) was bordered by a thick rope?

Is Mr. Akibono, X Sumo champ still fighting in K1?

That was some time back and I am not sure if he could crack it.

Cheers - Oz