JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
mangafreak (Offline)
EAT THE CAKE!

Parents - 12-13-2008, 03:39 AM

This is not really the most relevant thing to do with Japanese stuff, but I'm going to ask anyway. Does anyone or has anyone ever had one of those sets of parents who are rather controlling and also believe that pushing you to do extracirracular activities you really don't want to do is the best thing for you to do, and that you'll thank them someday? My parents are like that often, and I really want it to stop because I'm becoming tired of it. I'm not usually a whiny kid, but I've got other interests than what I am doing. Unfortunately, my mother says i can do that some other time. I've tried to ask her if I could do that instead of what I am doing now, but she says this is more important. Is there any advice on how to sort of casually convince your mother to let you do what you want? It'd be appreciated.

"Why waste good technology on science and medicine? Play video games instead."
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Acidreptile (Offline)
JF Old Timer

12-13-2008, 03:40 AM

Explain her the situation and hope she understands you.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
tocrayzay (Offline)
[put profound title here]

Send a message via Yahoo to tocrayzay
12-13-2008, 03:57 AM

ha my male parental unit is controlling like that, i'm 22, have a kid, my own place, my own life and he still tells me what i need to do with my life
i can only hope for you that you can talk sense into your mom (in a nice way) or hope that when you move out it ends
good luck

murrrrrrrrr
"If Life and Death be things that seem,
If Death be sleep, and Life a dream,
May not the everlasting sleep
The dream of Life eternal keep?"
~Father Tabb
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Miyavifan (Offline)
I Support DBSK always...

12-13-2008, 04:13 AM

luckily neither of mine are. One I don't allow to, the other is no longer on this plane of existence.

But my boyfriend 's dad is quite controlling....
He says he has to be back no later than 1 am, every day. (except for 1 day of the week, and 1 on weekends.) He has to call if he's gonna be gone longer than planned, and also has to tell his dad everywhere he goes.

He is living at his dad's place right now, but I still think it's ridiculous... as he's an adult.

also, it makes things a little stressful, cause of when the times he is able to come over after work, he would like to stay, and I would like for him to stay.

hide... always in my heart. I love you.... my pink spider....
My one wish is 2 meet Kyo. seriously.
R.I.P. Jasmine....
(#5 (permalink))
Old
SephirothVVC (Offline)
Death Is The Cure

Send a message via MSN to SephirothVVC Send a message via Skype™ to SephirothVVC
12-13-2008, 04:29 AM

most of my friends parents are like that... its going to continue unless you do something drastic. thats what ive learned. the are going to keep doing it because they really believe they are right. i think parents do it because the wanna live your life for you cuz they think they know how since the learned from mistakes and accomplishments. but in my veiw... thats really sheltering and you should let them know that you wanna firgure out how life works yourself and that them living it for you is far from perfect.

"I despise practically everything about human life, which does limit one's weekend activities."
(#6 (permalink))
Old
FreddyLea (Offline)
JF Regular

12-13-2008, 06:24 AM

most parents push children to do things, that they regret not doing as a kid. and they do not want to see their child turn out to be like they are, but instead hope they will have a better future because of the things that they did differently ...

there is always more information to it as well ... but often times only one side of the story is being told.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
xYinniex (Offline)
Quit yo' jibber jabber!

12-13-2008, 12:46 PM

well, thats parents for you, virtually every kid has the same thing, one way or another, if they didn't, you'd feel left out. lol.

My parents used to be like that as well but once you go to uni/college, they're a little bit more relax and less controlling.

I guess you just gotta wait til you grow up. [like the rest of us did.]

"I'm sorry, but i must have given you the impression that I actually care about your opinions"
(#8 (permalink))
Old
MissMisa (Offline)
Fashion, Games + Art Mod.

12-13-2008, 01:13 PM

My parents are awesome!

The only bad thing about them is, hm, when I get an A* they are just like, meh, another A*, kind of thing.

Apart from that, they are cool, they are really supportive of what I want to do [Game Design,] and are always there for me. I'm really grateful because I know not everyone has great parents, or sadly they aren't with us anymore. My Mum used to play Zelda and Sonic with me when I was little
(#9 (permalink))
Old
NanteNa (Offline)
sixth gun.

Send a message via Skype™ to NanteNa
12-13-2008, 02:17 PM

Parents try their best.

When I was 13 I didn't get wth they were talking about at all, but as I've grown older and matured a lot since then I see where they're coming at.

Give it some time. You'll understand some day. ^^

[ <-- Jordan's heart! \(Ò_ó)/ ]
Follow me on TUMBLR
"Well if a chick has a problem with the way I conduct myself I'd draw the bitch
a map to the nearest exit and stamp "fuck off" on her forehead."
- Pot Roast