JapanForum.com

JapanForum.com (https://www.japanforum.com/forum/)
-   General Discussion (https://www.japanforum.com/forum/general-discussion/)
-   -   World Financial Crises Affecting you? (https://www.japanforum.com/forum/general-discussion/21653-world-financial-crises-affecting-you.html)

Sinestra 12-16-2008 05:18 PM

Just realized I didnt give my story. Things a little tight for me as well but im doing ok. I work for Mercedes Benz and yes we have been affecting by the downward spiral of the auto industry but we are doing much better than the big 3. My dealership slashed so many things to save money and they did that so they would not have to lay anyone off. All managers too a 10% paycut so no one would lose their job. No overtime allowed unless given permission. My company no longer matches 401K for the next 6 months.

None of these things really effected me. Im the exception to the rule of overtime because i have two positions that no one else can fill so i work almost 12 hours a day. Money is good so i cant really complain i still have a job but right now everything goes into savings no spending frivolously.

candioussays 12-16-2008 05:32 PM

Well, I for one am struggling. I'm a full time student with no job. My boyfriend works full time to support us. My school is paid for by the government (one of the only good things about being po). I've been trying to get a job for months but my schedule with school is so crazy and no one wants a part-timer who can only work for 2 or so hours a day. I'm pretty sure I might go donate plasma this week. I'm so ready for the holidays to be over.

MissMisa 12-16-2008 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by candioussays (Post 646045)
Well, I for one am struggling. I'm a full time student with no job. My boyfriend works full time to support us. My school is paid for by the government (one of the only good things about being po). I've been trying to get a job for months but my schedule with school is so crazy and no one wants a part-timer who can only work for 2 or so hours a day. I'm pretty sure I might go donate plasma this week. I'm so ready for the holidays to be over.

I can totally sympathise with that. When you say it's difficult to get a job people think your just slacking off, but since there are so many unemployed people who can work full time and any time, they don't want a part time student that has to take days off for university open days, exams etc. I'm 18 now so it's not like they are allowed to pay me less, either.

xYinniex 12-16-2008 05:42 PM

I'm a full time student, at uni, I feel really bad asking my parents for money, I have no job, but my parents are really struggling a little right now. >.<
(my parents own restaurants and properties around england and asia.)

I think with any sort of chinese food outlet, Business has gone downhil because we're regarded as unhealthy fast food and hence a waste of money [but its a really nice restaurant-all cooked fresh >.>] and no one has enough money to eat out as much, so the businesses are hit. [i help out with accounts, waitressing, writing up letters, going through receipts]

ivi0nk3y 12-16-2008 05:42 PM

I'm still studying but I survive with a part time job as a freelancer. I take jobs that people need doing, i.e. using Action Script, Java, XHTML and so on. Apparently freelancers will be in demand but I dunno how reliable that information is.
Either way, i'm hoping this "crisis" doesn't last. It'll be difficult as hell getting a job once i've finished my degree since even people with long term jobs have been getting made redundant. I'm not too fussy what job I do get since i've never really planned on a career. A crisis just makes it less likely that i'll change my mind about that anytime soon.

Quote:

Originally Posted by xYinniex (Post 646055)
I think with any sort of chinese food outlet, Business has gone downhil because we're regarded as unhealthy fast food and hence a waste of money [but its a really nice restaurant-all cooked fresh >.>] and no one has enough money to eat out as much, so the businesses are hit.

Do your parents deliver? Delivering food is all the rage these days.

MissMisa 12-16-2008 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xYinniex (Post 646055)
I'm a full time student, at uni, I feel really bad asking my parents for money, I have no job, but my parents are really struggling a little right now. >.<
(my parents own restaurants and properties around england and asia.)

I think with any sort of chinese food outlet, Business has gone downhil because we're regarded as unhealthy fast food and hence a waste of money [but its a really nice restaurant-all cooked fresh >.>] and no one has enough money to eat out as much, so the businesses are hit. [i help out with accounts, waitressing, writing up letters, going through receipts]

Chinese is my favourite! Yummm :D

Sorry to hear about your situation though Yinnie, I don't like asking my parents for money either :/

xYinniex 12-16-2008 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ivi0nk3y (Post 646056)
Do your parents deliver? Delivering food is all the rage these days.

Yup, delivery drivers are the bitch. >.>
i got about two fired cuz that backchatted me.[they did so violently]

Quote:

Chinese is my favourite! Yummm

Sorry to hear about your situation though Yinnie, I don't like asking my parents for money either :/

Haha, i get to eat free. =D
Yeah, but the financial crisis is so harsh on the service industry? :mad:
Tesco's is extortionate, One pasta ragu sauce =£1.40
it used to be £1.20
>.< I'm a poor student. 20p counts. XD

//offtopic
I own one chinese, and one sushi bar [wouldn't call it japanese- would you call tesco sushi japanese? can i say, Japanese-like? but my dad makes some yummy sushi-looks pro-he went on a a few sushi courses-he KNOWS people O.o]

MissMisa 12-16-2008 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xYinniex (Post 646061)
Yup, delivery drivers are the bitch. >.>
i got about two fired cuz that backchatted me.[they did so violently]

Haha, i get to eat free. =D
Yeah, but the financial crisis is so harsh on the service industry? :mad:
Tesco's is extortionate, One pasta ragu sauce =£1.40
it used to be £1.20
>.< I'm a poor student. 20p counts. XD

//offtopic
I own one chinese, and one sushi bar [wouldn't call it japanese- would you call tesco sushi japanese? can i say, Japanese-like? but my dad makes some yummy sushi-looks pro-he went on a a few sushi courses-he KNOWS people O.o]

Yeah... 5 20ps make a pound! It all adds up...

I'm really tight to be honest, but when I spend vast amounts of money it's on things I don't need >.<

noodle 12-16-2008 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MissMisa (Post 646049)
I can totally sympathise with that. When you say it's difficult to get a job people think your just slacking off, but since there are so many unemployed people who can work full time and any time, they don't want a part time student that has to take days off for university open days, exams etc. I'm 18 now so it's not like they are allowed to pay me less, either.

I'm one of those people that thinks others are slacking off (not you personally because I saw your efforts with asking help with your CV etc)!! I think it's because I've never had a problem getting a job. Throughout college, I worked at Gamestation to save money to pay for Uni. In France, I don't work, but everytime I looked for a job, I found one... I worked in a Chinese restaurant, Pizza delivery guy (for 2 days, Never take this job in winter, lol) and for my brothers company! I also work every summer holidays. I never have a problem finding a job for the summer because I apply 6 months in advance. Like, a couple of days ago, I've started my applications for jobs for summer 2009.

I think that even with this crisis, there are lots of jobs available. Especially for students. We're so cheap for companies, and most of us tend to do pretty good work as we mainly do it for a good reference... I think people should apply to dozens and dozens of jobs months in advance and be patient. There is no reason why I can find a job and other students cant!

MissMisa 12-16-2008 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noodle (Post 646070)
I'm one of those people that thinks others are slacking off (not you personally because I saw your efforts with asking help with your CV etc)!! I think it's because I've never had a problem getting a job. Throughout college, I worked at Gamestation to save money to pay for Uni. In France, I don't work, but everytime I looked for a job, I found one... I worked in a Chinese restaurant, Pizza delivery guy (for 2 days, Never take this job in winter, lol) and for my brothers company! I also work every summer holidays. I never have a problem finding a job for the summer because I apply 6 months in advance. Like, a couple of days ago, I've started my applications for jobs for summer 2009.

I think that even with this crisis, there are lots of jobs available. Especially for students. We're so cheap for companies, and most of us tend to do pretty good work as we mainly do it for a good reference... I think people should apply to dozens and dozens of jobs months in advance and be patient. There is no reason why I can find a job and other students cant!

Well now I'm 18, I'm not cheap anymore, I've applied so many places I just can't understand.. the only interview I had, they fucked up, and didn't put that you had to be 18 to work in the petrol station, and the interview was like a week before my birthday which was very annoying. I've handed in my CV at over 20 places but nobody wanted me! Saying that... my town, the shops are not very popular and they've knocked a whole load of places down so at the moment it's really dead. Even at this time, it is NEVER busy...

;_; annoyingness.

Where did you live when you had all these jobs?