JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Kenpachi11 (Offline)
高校生

Sportbike for beginner? - 04-16-2009, 01:05 AM

Hey im currently looking into getting an sportbike. The one im looking at now is the kawasaki ninja 250r and kawasaki 500r. They say that the 250r are best for beginners bc of its lightweight and handleing. What would JF suggest me to get?

From the sky, To the ground
Rain is falling all around
Thunder rain and wind
A song of storms begins

Play a song, A melody
Then everybody will see
The hero of time
Has come
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Sangetsu (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

04-16-2009, 01:44 AM

Get the Ninja 250. It is the ultimate beginner's sportbike, a blast to ride, easy to handle, and a good place to develop your riding reflexes.

I've had a few Ninjas over the years. My first was a 600, then I moved up to the ZX-7. My last bike was a Yamaha R1

Remember always to be careful, and don't do anything stupid. When you are riding, assume that everyone driving a car is deaf, dumb, and blind, it's the only way to be safe. Motorcycles are hard to see, and the faster they move, the less visible they become.

My R1 was tricked out from top to bottom, almost every single part was upgraded or tweaked. My top speed on that bike was 187 mph (300 kph) recorded on my GPS.

I'm lucky to be alive. I've had more close calls that you can imagine (everyone who rides a motorcycle for a long time will tell you that), but I've never been in a wreck or hurt myself.

Others I know were not so lucky. The mechanic who worked on my bike was killed in a wreck, a friend of mine killed himself and his girlfriend in another wreck, and my own brother also died in an accident while riding.

Don't be a squid, riding around wearing nothing but a t shirt, shorts, and running shoes. Road rash hurts, and skin grafts are not pretty. Wear a helmet, jeans (or other heavy pants), a jacket, gloves, and boots which cover your ankles. It's never too hot (or cold) to wear these things, it's better to sweat than having to have skin removed from one part of your body to replace whatever got burned off another part.

Most accidents happen near home (my brother died while riding to the nearby convenience store), so don't leave behind your riding gear just because you aren't riding far.

Learn how to maneuver in an emergency. Knowing how to do a left or right flick is the most important, and should be practiced. It takes muscle, but it comes in handy to move around obstacles or stupid drivers. To do a right flick, you push the right bar forward while pushing on the left foot peg with your foot. This will lean the bike sharply to the right very quickly, and allow you to make a quick turn. To go left, you do the opposite, push with your left hand on the left bar, and on the right foot peg with your foot. You should practice flicks routinely, until you can do them quickly. They are good practice for racing, where they are necessary for making quick turns.

If you ever have to drop your bike (which is sometimes better than simply hitting something and going for a long head-over-heels flight), you do a left hand flick while pushing on the rear brake. This will cause the rear wheel to lock up, and the bike should quickly fall on it's left side and slide more or less in a straight line. Keep in mind that a bike sliding on it's bodywork will travel for a lot longer than a bike that is still on it's wheels with the brakes fully applied. Dropping your bike is a last second panic move, saved for when there is no other option.

Once again, be careful!
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Kenpachi11 (Offline)
高校生

04-16-2009, 01:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sangetsu View Post
Get the Ninja 250. It is the ultimate beginner's sportbike, a blast to ride, easy to handle, and a good place to develop your riding reflexes.

I've had a few Ninjas over the years. My first was a 600, then I moved up to the ZX-7. My last bike was a Yamaha R1

Remember always to be careful, and don't do anything stupid. When you are riding, assume that everyone driving a car is deaf, dumb, and blind, it's the only way to be safe. Motorcycles are hard to see, and the faster they move, the less visible they become.

My R1 was tricked out from top to bottom, almost every single part was upgraded or tweaked. My top speed on that bike was 187 mph (300 kph) recorded on my GPS.

I'm lucky to be alive. I've had more close calls that you can imagine (everyone who rides a motorcycle for a long time will tell you that), but I've never been in a wreck or hurt myself.

Others I know were not so lucky. The mechanic who worked on my bike was killed in a wreck, a friend of mine killed himself and his girlfriend in another wreck, and my own brother also died in an accident while riding.

Don't be a squid, riding around wearing nothing but a t shirt, shorts, and running shoes. Road rash hurts, and skin grafts are not pretty. Wear a helmet, jeans (or other heavy pants), a jacket, gloves, and boots which cover your ankles. It's never too hot (or cold) to wear these things, it's better to sweat than having to have skin removed from one part of your body to replace whatever got burned off another part.

Most accidents happen near home (my brother died while riding to the nearby convenience store), so don't leave behind your riding gear just because you aren't riding far.

Learn how to maneuver in an emergency. Knowing how to do a left or right flick is the most important, and should be practiced. It takes muscle, but it comes in handy to move around obstacles or stupid drivers. To do a right flick, you push the right bar forward while pushing on the left foot peg with your foot. This will lean the bike sharply to the right very quickly, and allow you to make a quick turn. To go left, you do the opposite, push with your left hand on the left bar, and on the right foot peg with your foot. You should practice flicks routinely, until you can do them quickly. They are good practice for racing, where they are necessary for making quick turns.

If you ever have to drop your bike (which is sometimes better than simply hitting something and going for a long head-over-heels flight), you do a left hand flick while pushing on the rear brake. This will cause the rear wheel to lock up, and the bike should quickly fall on it's left side and slide more or less in a straight line. Keep in mind that a bike sliding on it's bodywork will travel for a lot longer than a bike that is still on it's wheels with the brakes fully applied. Dropping your bike is a last second panic move, saved for when there is no other option.

Once again, be careful!
sorry about your bro but yea thanks. its a law in georgia that you have to wear safety gear while driving a motorcycle and yea i drive a car right now.

From the sky, To the ground
Rain is falling all around
Thunder rain and wind
A song of storms begins

Play a song, A melody
Then everybody will see
The hero of time
Has come
(#4 (permalink))
Old
cridgit001 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Send a message via AIM to cridgit001
04-16-2009, 02:02 AM

When I get a bike, I plan on riding around looking like the Stig(Top Gear, search if you don't know). Full racing suit head to toe. No skin graphs for me. My dream bike is a Ducati 1098R. Beastly so I'll start out on one of the bikes previously mentioned.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
fluffy0000 (Offline)
FJ to JF

Bikes yeah! - 04-16-2009, 09:20 PM

I still got my bike 2001' Monster which I can work on myself because it's the last year of air aspirated models- Ducati 2002 onwards use fuel injection and digital cpus that are pain in the arse. I wrench on it myself and replaced the rearend with a beefier 900 SS sp setup. Replaced gastank and seat/fenders carbon fiber bits / replaced engine with a milled and drilled stroked 944cc ' courtesy of Ducati Performance catalog along with lightn'ed flywheel etc. Termigoni exhaust system.
I do'nt like being bent over with all my weight on my wrists so I do'nt relate to well with sportbikes. My other bikes are sportbikes and do'nt get ridden as much ( 900ss SP / 907ie Desmo ) yeah i lik V twins more than 4's.
because of the upright riding position is more comfortable and fun.
I took a California Highway Patrol certified riders course which saved wear and tear on 'your bike' and upon passing the course and paper test automatically gives you your DMV class M1 ( motorcycle ) license. note they provide the motorcycle and rider course test component of your states DMV license. Basic Riders Course
Attached Images
File Type: jpg monsterjF2Thurs.jpg (56.3 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg MonstroJF1.jpg (109.7 KB, 5 views)

Last edited by fluffy0000 : 04-16-2009 at 09:25 PM.