LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Saffron (Offline)
I'm leaving

Send a message via AIM to Saffron
Ways to have a good nights sleep? - 12-25-2008, 08:10 AM

Hi people!

I really need some advice. I suffer with insomnia and recently it has been getting worse. I have been surviving on 4 hours sleep for the past 5 days. I don't get to sleep until the early hours of the morning and even though I am more tired than I can ever remember, I wake up 3 or 4 hours later. I am worried because my health is really delicate anyway. I can't see a doctor because doctors in my area are useless. I take Chinese medication for insomnia but recently they have not been working. The past 3 months I have been going through a bad time, which could be the reason for my sleep problem. I was just wondering if anyone knew a way to get a nights sleep? Short of knocking me over the head any sugggestions?
(#2 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

12-25-2008, 08:37 AM

Eliminate any caffeine and sugar in the PM. Find a nice big boring book to read.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Saffron (Offline)
I'm leaving

12-25-2008, 09:24 AM

Thank you very much mmm, it really helps! Yes sugar could be part of the problem. Though I don't touch caffeine unless green tea has it in. I have quite a few charles dickens books, they can be a bit boring at times
(#4 (permalink))
Old
PockyMePink (Offline)
=\

Send a message via MSN to PockyMePink
12-26-2008, 12:59 AM

I have a creative mind, so I usually end up going to sleep by daydreaming.
I have a very hard time sleeping, so this usually works for me.

Another suggestion - try meditating! It'll relax you, and probably help you though the bad time you've been having *nod nod*
(#5 (permalink))
Old
iPhantom (Offline)
is a pretty cool guy

Send a message via AIM to iPhantom Send a message via MSN to iPhantom Send a message via Skype™ to iPhantom
12-26-2008, 01:01 AM

You can just post in JF until you get sleepy... I do it lol
(#6 (permalink))
Old
superheel (Offline)
JF Old Timer

12-26-2008, 01:15 AM

Read a boring book, or just relax your mind and quit thinking stuff while trying to sleep. I have Insomnia too, what works for me is sleeping at the opposite direction i usually sleep. Like if you are usually laying your head on the north side of the bed, lay it on the south side.

"Save the earth from Global Warming!"
(#7 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

12-26-2008, 01:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saffron View Post
Thank you very much mmm, it really helps! Yes sugar could be part of the problem. Though I don't touch caffeine unless green tea has it in. I have quite a few charles dickens books, they can be a bit boring at times
Green tea does have caffeine in it...time to cut that out after noon.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
Saffron (Offline)
I'm leaving

12-26-2008, 08:55 AM

Yuko: I didn't think of Exercise. I used to be totally obbsessed with exercise and I never had any problems getting to sleep. I am going to try it, thank you!

Pockymepink: I'm a deep thinker and at night I can't seem to shut off my mind. Also when I know I have things I need to do the next day, it really bothers me. Then I'm thinking if I don't get to sleep I wont be able to do these things. Which makes things worse. I was practicing Zen healing which bascially is like meditation. Which is good for my nerves. I would do that everynight and it did kind of help but the person who told me about this, Zen healing was his job and he said I was not doing it for long enough. So I am going to try that again.

Iphantom: I tried that and I ended up getting to sleep in the afternoon. Time goes so quickly when I'm here. Well the good news is that last night I slept for 4 hours last night and woke up for an hour then slept another 4 hours. I only woke up 30 minutes ago. It's really strange because yesterday I felt so depressed and I slept better. I just thought I want this day to be over. Funny thing is when I'm happy I can't sleep. I tend to have these high moods that just happen and when things are really bad I have these depressed moods. I don't really have balanced emotions maybe that could be part of the problem. It is the simplest of things that make me happy. I can listen to a song that makes me feel good and I get to happy. Maybe I should stop listening to music at night.

Superheel: I sleep on both sides. If I can not sleep one way, I sleep on the other. Yes not thinking things does really help but it's not often I can do that.

MMM: I only drink green tea during the day. I'm not supposed to have caffeine for health reasons. Although I thought green tea might have caffeine. So I don't drink it everyday. As much as I like it, I can only drink one cup every other day. Are there any Japanese tea's that don't have caffeine in? Well I also drink mugi cha, Jasmine and brown rice green tea.

Thank you all for your advice, I really appreciate it!
(#9 (permalink))
Old
superheel (Offline)
JF Old Timer

12-26-2008, 09:04 AM

This is another effective way, drink hot milk before going to bed. Or take a warm shower before going to bed. You might also need something to hug, my Stewie Griffin stuff toy is always there for me when I need it. Sometimes, it's ok for guys to have their own stuff toy.

"Save the earth from Global Warming!"
(#10 (permalink))
Old
Tsuyako (Offline)
Milkshake critic <3

Send a message via MSN to Tsuyako Send a message via Skype™ to Tsuyako
12-26-2008, 11:13 AM

I have a drink of milk and make sure that I'm nice and snug in bed. If I can't sleep, I just close my eyes and don't open them for anything because resting your body is better than nothing. If you can't sleep, don't get stressed out which I know is easy to do, just relax because otherwise you'll be even more tired the next day.
My nan says sometimes it feels like you haven't slept much but in reality you have because the body doesn't simply not sleep; if it gets that exhausted it will sleep.

~Tsuyako~
つや子
If music be the food of love, play on

www.myspace.com/strawberrymilkshake1992