LinkBack Thread Tools
(#41 (permalink))
Old
Onyx (Offline)
JF Regular

01-02-2009, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almazing1000 View Post
Well I've personally never been in JET so I'm not sure what's what, but I can ask one of my friends I think she might know. IF i find anything out I'll be sure to let you know.
I saw Tokyo gore police on Netflix, and I'm going to check it out... Hope it's good!
Cool, sounds good. I think i'll just end up doing it anyway because it cant hurt, but theres different certifications and prices so i am trying to gauge how important it is overall.
(#42 (permalink))
Old
Gwen_Goth (Offline)
addict

01-02-2009, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onyx View Post

So i have a question I plan on applying to the JET program after i get my US citizenship just wondering if being TEFL/TESOL certified would substantially increase my chances of being excepted and placed. Also, does anyone know of any better programs than JET?
being already qualified in education is a great plus, only about 7% of applicants make it onto JET, but it isn't the only choice; there are a lot of private companies that basically do the same deal; one thing that you do need however is a *perfect* grasp of the English language; they prefer no strong regional accents as well.. its very tough (my friend applied to JET; didn't get in so went with a private company; she's over there now in Tokyo ^^ )

-~Moddess ~-

▲ ▲
(#43 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

01-03-2009, 01:39 AM

If you are not a native English speaker, then the JET ALT position is probably impossible for you.
(#44 (permalink))
Old
mercedesjin (Offline)
JF Old Timer

01-03-2009, 01:52 AM

ONYX: The more I research, the more JET isn't necessarily the best. People consider it the best because it's so competitive, but there are smaller programs with a bigger chance of being accepted. AEON, for example. AEON offers many more chances in my opinion - chances to actually be a teacher rather than be thrown into the unspoken power struggle that is JET. (When I say that, I mean that I've heard of MANY circumstances where the English teacher will be upset he or she has been given an ALT, and ultimately ignore the ALT rather than let them be a part of the lesson.)

And hey, if you want to go to Japan and be paid for not doing shit, maybe that is a good option. I kind of want to learn how to be a teacher, though. AEON gives training. AEON gives opportunities for promotion, which will eventually lead to being paid MUCH more than JET. Plus, there's more of a chance that the teachers won't be put in the middle of nowhere. I love rural areas, grew up in a rural area, but there's a difference between rural area and remote fishing village, or rocky cliff - population: 10.

So JET is a good choice, but there are many more options out there that might be better depending on the type of person you are.
(#45 (permalink))
Old
MissHoneyBeeee (Offline)
JF Old Timer

01-03-2009, 01:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keaton421 View Post
My $.02. Honey, I like your attitude but the sig and txt typing is a bit unbecoming for the Order of Nippon And we won't be talking much about Japanese fashion unless it's something very classy.

Nki, not to split hairs but no one really says Oriental anymore. And how do you graduate from Katana, are you studying Kenjutsu possibly? Have you tried making flashcards, or using Mnemosyne or Anki to remember your Katakana?
yeah, sorry. I didn't get the private message about it until this morning, AFTER I'd already posted. I won't do it again around you guys though! *headdesk*
(#46 (permalink))
Old
MissHoneyBeeee (Offline)
JF Old Timer

01-03-2009, 01:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MutsuYakumo View Post
That is a great idea! I'll PM you, like literally after I finish this.

Yeah, while there is nothing wrong with a clan signature, generally smaller is better so if there is a smaller picture that can be used that would be great.
yeah, I guess I'll go back to the smaller signature ^^; Misa warned me about it being big....
(#47 (permalink))
Old
MutsuYakumo (Offline)
JF Regular

01-03-2009, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissHoneyBeeee View Post
yeah, sorry. I didn't get the private message about it until this morning, AFTER I'd already posted. I won't do it again around you guys though! *headdesk*
It's okay kiddo all's fixed, and it looks fine now.

Everyone, I found the almost perfect first movie! I'll PM everyone with more info, if you didn't get it let me know!

You can pay for school, but you can't buy Class.
(#48 (permalink))
Old
Onyx (Offline)
JF Regular

01-04-2009, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedesjin View Post
*snip*
Thanks very helpful post. Im not entirely concerned about where i get placed, like you i grew up in a rual area for the early years of my life, so being placed in a rice field wouldn't be too bad lol. Sure i'll prolly ask for placement in a big city but i know if get placed there, there would be way to many distractions for me and my wallet since i like to party so much. Being in the countryside may be just what i need, then maybe every month or so take a trip to party in the city.

@MMM:
I was born in Jamaica and lived there until i was 6 years old, then i moved to Florida and ive been here ever since. Im 29 now, so using a Jamaican accent is purely optional on my part. Plus ya Jamaican is an English dialect, just wanted to get my American citizenship so i don't have to apply for these programs and interview from Jamaica.

But, thanks for your help guys, i'll be getting that TELC certification to help my chances and i'll look at other places than JET.
(#49 (permalink))
Old
Onyx (Offline)
JF Regular

01-13-2009, 09:56 PM

Hmm, what happened to this thread So quick update anyway, i will start to take my online certification classes this Saturday. Going on general english teach certification as well as business class certified. Just $290 im pleased and excited.
(#50 (permalink))
Old
SHAD0W (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

01-13-2009, 10:02 PM

It died because it was a sucky idea.

an "anti- clan" clan would never work..

I'm sorry for all the bad stuff I said and all the feelings I hurt.. Please forgive me