JapanForum.com

JapanForum.com (https://www.japanforum.com/forum/)
-   General Discussion (https://www.japanforum.com/forum/general-discussion/)
-   -   Emperor of Nippon 日本の皇帝 (https://www.japanforum.com/forum/general-discussion/22180-emperor-nippon-%E6%97%A5%E6%9C%AC%E3%81%AE%E7%9A%87%E5%B8%9D.html)

MutsuYakumo 01-05-2009 04:40 PM

Emperor of Nippon 日本の皇帝

Quote:

Originally Posted by SHAD0W (Post 656354)
Can we talk about the Japanese Emperor? I hate to say it, but this is a topic I know nothing about and its not something I'd like wikipedia to solve.

Well buddy that is a pretty broad topic, and could range from the roles they play to their system of hereditary succession. I guess it all depends on what you would like to know. I can tell you as Emperor you have no powers in the government, but can appoint the Chief Judge of the Supreme Court, and the Prime Minister, so it's not really a "powerful" job. That's all I really know off the top of my head. I'll be heading to Borders to check out a few books later on today so if anyone has any questions please post them, and I'll be sure to find an answer.

SHAD0W 01-05-2009 04:42 PM

Thanks for setting up this thread dude, I've been mega busy as you know. My tutor group has been given an extension since they realised how difficult that essay was! Theyre in the middle of re-writing my degree, so you can't blame them for not getting the balance right.

Anyways, the Emperor. Whats his name and how do you attain the status of Emperor?

日本の皇帝

Can you say this in kana please? I'd like to know how to pronounce this :)

Nagoyankee 01-05-2009 04:51 PM

lol The word isn't even 皇帝. It's 天皇, pronounced "てんのう".

MutsuYakumo 01-05-2009 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SHAD0W (Post 658743)
Thanks for setting up this thread dude, I've been mega busy as you know. My tutor group has been given an extension since they realised how difficult that essay was! Theyre in the middle of re-writing my degree, so you can't blame them for not getting the balance right.

Anyways, the emporer. Whats his name and how do you attain the status of Emporer?

Well I asked my dad and he said it's Emperor Akihito (the spelling might be wrong). He was appointed Emperor sometime in the late 80's. I'm pretty sure you have to be the eldest son of the previous Emperor to assume the throne.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nagoyankee (Post 658744)
lol The word isn't even 皇帝. It's 天皇, pronounced "てんのう".

Thanks... Douche

SHAD0W 01-05-2009 04:59 PM

さすがNagoyankeeさん。  ありがとうございました!

Salvanas 01-05-2009 05:07 PM

So, I take it that the Emperor of Japan, is quite like the Royal Family in England. With a few differences ofcourse.

Hatredcopter 01-05-2009 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MutsuYakumo (Post 658745)

Thanks... Douche

Blimey, who pissed in your cornflakes this morning?

FYI, the first one would be used to refer to emperors of other countries. Tennou is reserved specifically for the emperor of Japan.

SHAD0W 01-05-2009 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MutsuYakumo (Post 658745)
Thanks... Douche

Hey man, there was no need for that. Japanese people are supposed to be polite.. your not showing that Mutsu..

Quote:

Originally Posted by Salvanas (Post 658747)
So, I take it that the Emperor of Japan, is quite like the Royal Family in England. With a few differences ofcourse.

You could say that, sounds like our Queen has been stripped of everything that makes a monarch.. Except the crown. Poor thing!

MutsuYakumo 01-05-2009 06:13 PM

Well had I known that I would've gotten this sort of reaction I would have thought that statement through a little more clearly. Apologies are in order :o
I'm a little more accustomed to douche being used casually.

Moving On....

Quote:

Originally Posted by Salvanas (Post 658747)
So, I take it that the Emperor of Japan, is quite like the Royal Family in England. With a few differences of course.

Yeah pretty much, however I'm not sure if a woman could assume the throne... maybe her husband? I'll have to look into that.

Almazing1000 01-05-2009 08:02 PM

Yeah "Douche" is used a lot... Anyways... So the Emperor is just a figure head like the The Earth King from Avatar? I mean that would suck to be the King with no power, he seems like more of a celebrity.