LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Gwen_Goth (Offline)
addict

Exclamation Where have all the Threads Gone? - 01-17-2009, 10:40 PM

“OMG!, Like how could this happen?”

Well, I removed them

This is to be a Complete overhaul of the General Discussion Section.

The “im bored /talk about anything/ how are you today/ lets post pointless stuff” Threads are gone.

The Game threads are gone.

And NO. they are not coming back.

For a long time now the forum has been getting clogged down with pointless threads that are about noting ain particular and add nothing to the substance and subject of this forum.

The general Discussion forum is for the Discussion of topics that may not be covered by the other sections of the forum; yes that includes subjects that do not directly relate to Japan.
However they still need to be worthy of a Discussion; “what is your favourite colour / what are your emotions at this exact moment?” are not proper discussion topics.

Threads have been removed completely indiscriminately; that means it really is not anything personal. The criteria for whether a thread was removed or not was whether the thread had been commented on (in a manner that related to the thread directly and / or to the OP) in that last 18 months, and also whether the thread complied with the forum rules in general; including those that are being brought into effect now.
Threads where the last few pages were filled with one-liner comments like “I agree!”, “lol noob” and “OMG like yea!” were removed, as were threads that had (for various reasons) already been closed by moderators. Threads where posters had simply degenerated into fighting and insults between members were also removed.

Now; we are not Completely heartless. We do understand that people get bored, and that general chatter is integral to a forum atmosphere; and so to accommodate this a few new threads have been created:

The Chat Thread

Yes there is a thread for you to chat in; and yes pretty much anything goes (within the forum rules that is)

However; this thread will be cleared out once a week; the posts will be removed and the thread will be restarted.
Why bother clearing it out so often?
It’s a chat thread; this is for the often non-topical talk that so many of you seem to enjoy; it is to help keep the General sections free, and flowing better, to prevent forum glitches and so on…
This way you at least still have a way to chatter, but it will not permanently add to your post count.

New threads that are considered another variant of a “chat” thread will be merged into the Chat Thread.

Secondly…

The Off-Topic Thread

Some older members may remember this; we once upon a time had one, and it worked while people kept to the rules

The purpose of this thread is to help prevent threads in ALL forums going off topic, without having to create a whole thread per off-topic subject.

How it will work is; if you want to make an off topic comment about another thread, come to the Off-Topic Thread, and either post a quote from the original thread, or a link back to the thread and go for it!

Like the Chat Thread; the Off-Topic thread will be cleared out once weekly; again it is to prevent forum clutter

If you feel your off topic comment deserves it’s own thread, then make the thread; if you want posts from the Off-Topic thread copied to your new thread, just PM a mod

Some Other Changes

As you are all now aware, the Facer thread has been closed;

This has already been replaced by Facer 2.0; however, aside from simply carrying on the Facer thread, it also now replaces all the other Photo threads; they, like Facer have been closed, but will stay in the General section to be viewed.

All the new threads are being “Stickied” so they will appear at the top of the General Discussion forum for easy access.

-~Moddess ~-

▲ ▲

Last edited by Gwen_Goth : 01-17-2009 at 11:06 PM.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Gwen_Goth (Offline)
addict

Frequently Asked Questions (or so we expect) - 01-17-2009, 10:41 PM

FAQ’s

Quote:
But why no more Game threads! They were fun!
Because, besides being fun for a portion of forum users, they don’t add anything to the substance of the forum. They genuinely clog up the forum servers and do nothing more than boost post counts.
However., if you can prove that everyone can behave, and stick to the new guidelines then we (the Mods) may consider opening a “Game Thread”; where you may host games, but like the chat and off-topic threads will be cleared out regularly.

Quote:
OMG why do you hate us!?!
I don’t. WE don’t.
The forum Has suffered since we allowed the posts to get out of hand, a lot of good posters left JF, we don’t want to lose more.

Quote:
You removed my posts! I hate you!
I’m just going to post spam and anti-Mod stuff and be generally insulting!
Ok, sure. But if you continue after a warning, then you will be given a week’s ban, and then if you continue, a month’s ban… and well if you really are that petty to carry on after that a permanent ban.

Quote:
Urgh! I hate it JF is boring now!
Then you are obviously here for the wrong reasons. If you hate it that much then no one is stopping you from leaving; we’ll even remove all your posts for you, if you really want. However, other forums are A LOT less lax then we are, and you’ll probably miss us.

Quote:
I really didn’t think that my thread deserved to be removed, it wasn’t that bad…
Ok then, if you can be civil and mature about it then PM us; we will look into your thread and may well restore it if we feel that you have valid points.
However PM us is the only way to go about this, Do not create threads simply to try to recreate your old thread/ get support for it. If anything it will lessen your chances.

Quote:
Oh noes! I’m not the top poster anymore! woe is me…
Oh get over it.
Post count in NOT everything; it really does boil down to what you post, and how relevant and useful it is… if your post count has suddenly dropped by the thousands then you can guess that you obviously weren’t posting in threads that actually added anything useful to the forum (and have hence been removed; see how this works?)

Quote:
Aren’t you just acting out alone? What about the other mods, have you just taken over?
Not at all
Everything that has happened, including these posts has been agreed on by the other mods.
Just because I’m the one posting, does not mean that I am the only one acting.

-~Moddess ~-

▲ ▲
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Gwen_Goth (Offline)
addict

01-17-2009, 11:50 PM

xD

didn't realise i'd closed this thread by mistake...

anyway there already seems to be a little confusion in the Off Topic thread, so I'm reposting here too;

right; there already seems to be a little confusion over this thread; i will try to explain my self better (using a pm from Kior (with permission)
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koir
Concerning:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwen_Goth View Post
If you want to go off topic from another thread simply quote from the thread, or provide a link-back to the thread you are diverting from, and then post what you have to say here!
So I am given to understand that people who want to go OT in a thread are now required to:

1) cull out the pertinent text
2) copy to clipboard
3) move to the "correct" thread
4) Paste text to a reply
5) Respond to text in an OT way

compared to the past process, which was:

1) click Reply
2) Type response
3) Post response

Seeing as this "correct" OT thread is going to be cleaned out once a week as a dumping ground for anything that does not directly relate to a discussion, it will be both chaotic *and* need to be cleaned out more frequently than once per week. There are more reasons why I believe this may not work in the way its creators intend...which, come to think of it, is the very definition of off-topic.

Please do not mistake my analysis for flames and/or vitriol. It is simply an illustration of my confusion over the purpose of one new element in the forum.
no, by all means this is good feed back for me

i would suggest;

in the thread you would be going OT from; hit quote on the relevant post; "copy" the text, then go to the OT thread and post, "pasting" the quote (as it includes a link-back function it) and then discuss as you want...
i hope this helps...

anyway; this thread is now open for feedback xD

-~Moddess ~-

▲ ▲
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Livvie (Offline)
JF Regular

01-18-2009, 02:42 AM

I approve of this. I know I'm new, but seeing a lot of pointless threads is offputting for a new member. I hope it goes well for you.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
Keaton421 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

01-18-2009, 02:53 AM

Gwen... the words just won't come. Thank you

Oh! I wish I was in the land of Ramen
Otaku there are not downtrodden
Kawaii! Kawaii! Kawaii, Desu Ne!

MAXIMUM VIPER
Defender of the Scholar, Scourge of the Otaku, Savior of Japan
(#6 (permalink))
Old
Gwen_Goth (Offline)
addict

01-18-2009, 09:16 AM

on Nishi's request i have restored the Gods and Goddesses clan

thank you for all the positive feedback; kudos goes to all the mod team

-~Moddess ~-

▲ ▲
(#7 (permalink))
Old
Inari (Offline)
Back... hopefully

Send a message via MSN to Inari
01-18-2009, 09:39 AM

I've just properly viewed the forum for the first time in a while, and i saw this thread. THANKYOU. I know I posted some in those pointless threads, but it got to a point where "how are you today threads" etc were all you could see. Thanks a bunch. x

Jedes Herz ist ein revolutionärie Zelle.

JF family:
Daughter: VampireGirl1314

if you wanna be in my family PM me ^^

I own Sakito from DLQ x
(#8 (permalink))
Old
GregFromScotland (Offline)
I love you.

Send a message via MSN to GregFromScotland Send a message via Skype™ to GregFromScotland
01-18-2009, 12:57 PM

I noticed a particular member's posts per day has went from 24 to 9.

How I laughed. Hard.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
CarleyGee (Offline)
staring at awkward legs

Send a message via AIM to CarleyGee Send a message via MSN to CarleyGee
01-18-2009, 11:45 PM

I think these are some of the most useful and
long-awaited changes made to JF, ever.

I thank you!

The cleaning out the chat thread is brilliant!

*bows*

Help my Cause for homeless teens!
http://www.socialvibe.com/CarleyGee

R.I.P Johnny
3-31-09

http://www.formspring.me/CarleyRenee17
Ask me any question
(#10 (permalink))
Old
noodle (Offline)
Wo zhi dao ni ai wo

01-21-2009, 09:49 AM

Though I have nothing against what you've done, I do however feel that your choice of words are rather... rude! Reading your previous posts, I see that it's just how you talk, but it would be nice if you made a slight effort. Especially for something like the FAQ's