JapanForum.com

JapanForum.com (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/)
-   General Discussion (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/general-discussion/)
-   -   Why does Japanese culture attracts foreign weirdoes? (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/general-discussion/22591-why-does-japanese-culture-attracts-foreign-weirdoes.html)

burkhartdesu 02-08-2009 01:52 AM

Indeed. :vsign:

Nagoyankee 02-08-2009 01:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nobora (Post 672334)
You know Im not really sure I guess they just feel comftorable with Japanese things. I like it becuz its interesting. Not to mention I learned the English Culture first so Jap isnt my first.

Hey, who are you calling 'Jap'? If you're from the States, you should know how that word is used.

burkhartdesu 02-08-2009 01:54 AM

Ahaha, that sonavabitch. Come to a Japan-lovers website and go shoutin' around things like "JAP".

LETS STONE HIM TO DEATH :punchbear:

Payne222 02-08-2009 04:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nagoyankee (Post 673481)
Hey, who are you calling 'Jap'? If you're from the States, you should know how that word is used.

You should call him a Yank back.

ThirdSight 02-08-2009 08:49 PM

If everyone's quite finished applying their biased, self preserving point of views on a country they know nothing about, I'd like to add two cents to this whole debacle.

My credentials:
- I know nothing about Japan. Few things here, a few things there; it still amounts to nothing.
- I watch anime and read manga, reasons being because I'm a fan of comics and I can rarely find anything good to watch on American television. Just not my thing.

First thing to realize is that the people obsessing over Japan (apply any derogetory term here, there's quite a few) would obsess over something else if given the chance. These kinds of people don't have very high self esteem in the first place, and need to latch onto something psychologically in order to remain sane, even if it comes at the cost of their social life and skills. If it wasn't Japan, it'd be Mudkips. Is that what you want? And if we're truly going to compare people who are a fan of Japanese Pop culture, to some degree or form, we can't leave out those that subscribe to the Pop culture of the country you're living in. They're the same people, the only difference between the two is which country's "culture" they decide to latch onto.

MMM made a marvelous point about sex, because that's what it comes down to, once you remove practically everything else. But think: are these weirdos and Japan-lovers so different from anyone driven by sex in your own country? Turn on the television, and sex is everywhere, in your native language. Playboy and Hustler; ettchi and hentai comics. Different of course, but with striking similarities.

Furthermore, we can't ignore the era that we live in. We live in an age where information is at our fingertips, should we require it (this post is testament to that fact). To Westerners (pretty much Americans, Eurpoeans, and anyone else in a few select countries), Japanese "cuture" is more widely spread than any other. China makes nearly everything, and Germany can crank out a few amazing gadgets every now and again that make it to a Western television set. But Japanese "cuture" is still more widely spread. It's associated with video games. It's associated with comics. It's associated with certain digital effects. And it's associated with things that are foreign and mysterious. All this doesn't mean that Japan and it's "culture" is mysterious and amazing, it just means it's associated with the notions. I'm not sure how it started, but with a little research, you'll find the source.

Therefore, because it's associated with being mysterious and amazing, it's seen as such, regardless if it's the truth or not. The reasons for this aren't too farfetched. Of course, Japan isn't any more different than any other foreign country, but compared to England? London? Russia? These all have some sililarities with Western "culture", therefore the culture shock is much lower. There are a great many things within the daily lives of Japanese people that Westerners consider radical, making the culture shock much higher, therefore making the culture appear so much more different than any other culture around the world.

It boils down to subliminal advertising. Every country is guilty of it, and every country does it. Americans are known to be fat, lazy, hamburger eaters, violent, and Baseball fans. England and London are known for their good manners and accents. Europe in general is known for its embrace in sexual culture and "lack of rules" (if we're to ask our fellow college graduate). Russia's known to be cold as hell. Every last country has assumptions made about it, steming from the ideas that get into people's heads due to that country's "culture" leaking out into the global field. Ignorance does the rest for us, and we make wild assumptions about the whole thing.

Japan attracts the weirdos because they find themselves in lack of social skills that they willingly gave up in order to latch onto Japanese "culture". This creates assumptions that Japanese "culture" is based around what these weirdos obsess over and the cons they attend. Because most people don't understand the obsession itself or the items being obsessed over, many Westerners attribute Japan to being myseterious itself.

Jaydelart 02-08-2009 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThirdSight (Post 673702)
If everyone's quite finished applying their biased, self preserving point of views on a country they know nothing about, I'd like to add two cents to this whole debacle.

Nice post, Third, but I'm somewhat confused.
When you say "everyone"... does it quite literally mean everyone?

Koir 02-08-2009 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaydelart (Post 673718)

I believe it was a general reference, Jaydelart.

As for ThirdSight's post, it's the most sensible, well-thought contribution to the thread so far, in my opinion.

Jaydelart 02-08-2009 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Koir (Post 673719)
I believe it was a general reference, Jaydelart.

As for ThirdSight's post, it's the most sensible, well-thought contribution to the thread so far, in my opinion.

I figured it as such, but I wasn't entirely certain. I do agree with his overall point; However, I just prefer to know when I'm being told I'm a fool... if you understand what I mean. :) My apologies.

ThirdSight 02-08-2009 10:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaydelart (Post 673718)

Oh no, I mean everyone who will ever lay eyes on this post.
/sarcasm

I'm just feeling sausy today, that's all. After reading through the thread, it seemed like everyone was making assumptions on top of assumptions in order to clarify assumptions.

Interesting thread idea though. Rare we get to see an actual debate going down on JF!
:pandahurray:

And no, I woudn't call someone a fool unless they did the honor of displaying it themselves first, which you have never done Jay.

tokyo88 02-09-2009 12:07 AM

Keaton421

Hey Keaton421 i never accept your comment so i ask you to respect us the Japan Forum members and don't say like that about Japan and about us you mean that we are stupid ???

and Japan is more color full and you are just a sick man:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Aniki 02-09-2009 12:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tokyo88 (Post 673751)
Hey Keaton421 i never accept your comment so i ask you to respect us the Japan Forum members and don't say like that about Japan and about us you mean that we are stupid ???

and Japan is more color full and you are just a sick man

You should say that to yourself

tokyo88 02-09-2009 12:19 AM

Keaton you are a sick man:mad: :mad: :mad:

Aniki 02-09-2009 12:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tokyo88 (Post 673754)
Keaton you are a sick man:mad: :mad: :mad:

Evolution - it never ceases to amaze me.

pumpum 02-09-2009 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sitron (Post 667030)
I just started learning Japanese and frequent Japanese boards like /jp/ on 4chan.org - what I've noticed is that unlike France or Germany, Japanese culture attract really, really weird foreign people.
Don't mistake me, I love Japanese culture. But all the pedophiles, cartoon nerds, lonely bitter misogynists, racists that think that the Japanese are some kind of super-race, and freaks who want to become Japanese almost made me learn Spanish instead.

Why do you think that Japanese culture attracts the attention of so many social retards, nerds, pedophiles, NEETs, and freaks in general?

Social retard - BAD!
Nerd - OK !
Pedophile - VERY VERY BAD !
NEETs - ??

FREAKS ?? - YEAH BABY WHOO HOO !!!!!!! :D :D

tohruchan7 02-12-2009 11:58 PM

Good Question????

Sangetsu 02-13-2009 01:27 AM

Japan tends to attract people who are dissatisfied with themselves or their surroundings. To many, Japan seems an exotic place, one with a more or less unique ancient culture, while at the same time being the world's most modern and technologically advanced society.

To those who eventually come here, they eventually learn that Japan is just another place, no better (and is some cases, worse) than wherever it was they originally came from.

Many Japanese feel exactly the same way about western countries, and my students (and even coworkers) tell me how much they dream to visit America or Europe. They are always asking me to tell them about New York City, or San Francisco, or Los Angeles, and the things they can see and do there. I show them pictures, and tell them stories, and they are constantly exclaiming "sugoi!" or "kakkoi!"

My friends in America react the same way to the pictures and stories I bring back from Japan.

Naoko 02-13-2009 01:33 AM

It's probably that way no matter where you go. Other people's way of life is almost always going to seem more interesting imo, simply because it's different than what you yourself are accustomed to. Add in that people usually look at what things are like in a busy area and that creates more fantasy. Not many look at the calmer areas and acknowledge that the lifestyle is just as "boring" and lacking in the "unique" department lol.

Luca 02-15-2009 09:30 PM

in my opinion, people are interested in moderness.
especially when they want/need a change in their own life (i myself belong to these people too, and i chose japan^^)

and now it is a fact that european countries or usa are yet integrated to what we call the globalisated, modern world. but japan, isnt or better wasnt, cauz its an island on the other side of the world and it has always be more busy with itself and korea or china.

so now, when japan´s economy belongs to the most progressing in the world and when asia gets more and more immigrated in the rest of the world´s everyday life, it didnt start to change by immitating the european past, which is a big part of many people´s life, but to exchange its own culture with europeans as me.

so japan seems to be a very modern and new country, although it actually isnt, but it attracts those who think that, cauz they just know their own little world.

id be glad to be corrected :vsign:

FalseAlarm 02-15-2009 09:43 PM

It's the curse of taking Japanese. Everyone in all of my Japanese classes for the past 4 years have been weirdos, who only want to learn the language because they enjoy watching the cartoons. It's really sad, and very embarassing when you're in Tokyo walking with a group of white kids in Inuyasha shirts.

i have nothing against anime, i respect it. it's just a lot people who take japanese are complete weirdos, and any Japanese person who doesn't like foreigners has my complete understanding.

no offense to anyone, im just talking from real life experience.

iPhantom 02-15-2009 09:46 PM

Simply because it's totally different. I already know my culture so it won't attract me anymore. I want something different, a new experience.

Ever seen Japanese cosplayers? I wish I stepped on that Harajuku area once in my life. Never seen anyone cosplaying in real life... and that area is full of not ordinary looks. Nobody does that here in my country...

djevvy 02-16-2009 12:57 AM

Quote:

I just started learning Japanese and frequent Japanese boards like /jp/ on 4chan.org - what I've noticed is that unlike France or Germany, Japanese culture attract really, really weird foreign people.
Don't mistake me, I love Japanese culture. But all the pedophiles, cartoon nerds, lonely bitter misogynists, racists that think that the Japanese are some kind of super-race, and freaks who want to become Japanese almost made me learn Spanish instead.

Why do you think that Japanese culture attracts the attention of so many social retards, nerds, pedophiles, NEETs, and freaks in general?

So, which one are you? social retard? nerd? PAEDOPHILE or just a freak?

If none of the above, you certainly need some lessons in how to socially interact. Have a nice day.

PhDP 02-16-2009 01:27 PM

I guess I have a more positive experience, all the people I know with an interest in japan and japanese culture have developed their interests because they play Go or because of famous japanese scientists/mathematicians.

alanX 02-16-2009 04:39 PM

I think it attracts pedephiles because the women are typically so small and petite, but I can't think of why it attracts weirdos =P

vilQ 02-16-2009 04:50 PM

Because weirdos like anime and manga and are even more fanatical than the worst of otaku. (No offense to otakus out there, just saying this about a marginal group of you.)

iPhantom 02-16-2009 05:39 PM

lol I just figured out this thread is for weirdos. My post is irrelevant, I'm not a weirdo >___>

thcuteness 02-16-2009 06:27 PM

lol thats a good question who know, I have a few japanese people who use to go to my school but quickly transfered they were tired of being questioned and followed by the prevs

MuhammedNesinUzunay 02-18-2009 02:47 PM

affect the integrity of my first Japanese.

snowmanf 04-22-2009 08:53 PM

Quote:

What a confused and distressing thread this has turned into.
Mostly not even addrssing the initial post.
I could spend a month going through this but there's little point since many ppl have already dug in and wouldn't hear anyway.

Sitron, its unfortunate that you hda such a negative experience but I dont think its definitive. I can understand why you hate paedophiles, racists and similar but why do you group nerds with them. Sure they can be annoying but thats a bit far isnt it? Perhaps you didnt mean it that way?

Personally I dont think Japanese Culture attracts more of these undesirables than other cultures. You might argue a case for the nerds. perhaps, but nt the others. I dont know if you're still interested in an opinion since this thread has been so hijacked, but if so... just say.

As implied I dont thikn its worth going through all of this to point out the mistakes but I do have questions for the posters.

Out of curiosity who among the posters here have lived in Japan?
Who have even been to Japan and how often?
Who have Japanese friends there?

I just wonder because it appears a lot of comments are made as if they are fact when rather they have very little actual support in reality.

Also, a slightly more controversial question if you please.
As love is an emotion how is it for anyone to tell others what criteria they must meet before they are allowed to sy they love something?

For the record I was lead here from a Jp related blog,
I have lived there, I have been more times than I can count, I have many friends there mostly native Japanese.

ps - Okay I wasnt going to comment on all the fallacies but I cant resist this one. There are a significant number of people in Japan and other Asian countries who are equally obsessed with countries such as USA and Britain as vice versa. There are so many reasons for the obsessions in both directions how could one possibly cover them with sweeping statements?

I cant, can you?

HeX 04-22-2009 09:04 PM

Well ...
I'm attracted to Japan for other reasons ...
Their technology and how they care about education
Also it seems like Japanese are polite
Another thing is video games

But I really don't know that much about Japan.
So I'm not ganna say it must be heaven on earth.
But I just feel like I'd love to live and work there.

Kayci 04-23-2009 02:13 AM

Hm...don't know. don't care anymore.
Hate the wapanese insults.
I love Japan for my reasons.
Respect the culture, language, etc.
Love its modern ways too.
Love the people.
Anime and manga is just part of it, but not everything about it.

BusterWolfXII 04-23-2009 03:36 AM

Is it just because it's 11:22 PM and I'm tired as hell, or have I read 12 pages and only saw about 4-5 posts that attempted to answer the actual question?

Anyway, I don't think that Japanese culture attracts more foreign weirdos than any other culture. It's just that, on the Internet, the country you hear about the most is, depending on where you go, Japan, and with it comes all these geeks and losers that are obsessed with it. But, take away Japan, and these geeks and nerds are still geeks and nerds. They're just not obsessed about Japan.

So, it's not Japan that makes the geeks, nerds and perverts what they are. Japan's just a victim of circumstance.

Does that make sense?

hikkiFM 04-23-2009 03:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BusterWolfXII (Post 702226)
Is it just because it's 11:22 PM and I'm tired as hell, or have I read 12 pages and only saw about 4-5 posts that attempted to answer the actual question?

Anyway, I don't think that Japanese culture attracts more foreign weirdos than any other culture. It's just that, on the Internet, the country you hear about the most is, depending on where you go, Japan, and with it comes all these geeks and losers that are obsessed with it. But, take away Japan, and these geeks and nerds are still geeks and nerds. They're just not obsessed about Japan.

So, it's not Japan that makes the geeks, nerds and perverts what they are. Japan's just a victim of circumstance.

Does that make sense?

it is, it is.. i agree with yah..

electricalice 04-23-2009 11:56 AM

........deleted.

RadioKid 04-23-2009 01:03 PM

A professor emeritus "Tomio Tada" of Tokyo univercity described "the virtue of japanese" as follows (on a news paper in June/2008).

1. generousity from polytheism or paganism.
2. abstractionism shown in "ANIME".
3. "AHARE"; sympathy for weakness.
4. technologiess to make above three items in reality.

These are interesting as a description by Japanese of Japanese.

ozkai 04-23-2009 11:13 PM

Why does Japanese culture attracts foreign weirdoes?

I think it's due to the fact that they feel special within.

This feeling comes from the use of GAMAN within Japanese society.

Stibenz 04-25-2009 08:42 PM

Wierd people love japan.

In fact it is true. Many wierd people love japan.
You must also notice that most of that wierd people are kinda "nerds", they are lonely people who spends all of their time in front of a computer. then, once connected to the net, you almost can't search anything that isn't related to Japan, I mean, japanese people contribute a lot to put info on the net, this makes the japanese cuture very famous worlwide.
Also in japanese animes the caracters look almost perfect. This makes them think they might get like them if they "become" Japanese.

DJnohara 04-26-2009 12:17 AM

Quote:

Good question.. and I have yet to understand the reasons why..?
Ah well..

But I think Japanese culture and other Asian cultures, have gotten a lot more attention in the last 10 years than ever before in western countries.

Kadauz 04-26-2009 12:57 AM

" Why does Japanese culture attracts foreign weirdoes? "

My strange opinion:

To make an attempt to answer this question - is to equal attempt of the answer to question "Why violence attracts people?"

It is possible to search for the answer long. But the answer will not be found... ... ...

Yuna7780 08-08-2009 12:53 AM

I have a question right back at this thread's question....

Why does America attract so many people?

There may be some similarities found between the two.

Seanus 08-08-2009 03:15 PM

The original poster has a point. There were some weirdo types but you'll always find those eccentrics. It allows them to indulge in sth else that their culture doesn't openly encourage.