JapanForum.com

JapanForum.com (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/)
-   General Discussion (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/general-discussion/)
-   -   Why does Japanese culture attracts foreign weirdoes? (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/general-discussion/22591-why-does-japanese-culture-attracts-foreign-weirdoes.html)

ante 01-21-2009 03:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kyousuke (Post 667224)
first qoute: you couldve fooled me

second qoute: wtf? i didnt say that. i dont say "Sooo" its kinda weird.

First, provide me with an example where I am implying that I dislike people who dislike Japan? I you find one, I'll be happy to apologize and explain myself.

Second was a misquote, it was supposed to be Keaton421, I am sorry about that.

Keaton421 01-21-2009 03:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ante (Post 667223)
Go to Japan today, and you are likely to see more JRock and anime, than samurais. To claim that, that is not the "real" Japan, is pretentious at best.

Culture runs deeper than the country's ancient warriors. And it definitely runs deeper than cartoons and pop-rock - these things are called Pop Culture. Many of y'all believe culture is only what you see when you walk down the street. There are other aspects to culture, such as beliefs, values, locations, legends... the list goes on.

Kyousuke 01-21-2009 03:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ante (Post 667226)
First, provide me with an example where I am implying that I dislike people who dislike Japan? I you find one, I'll be happy to apologize and explain myself.

Second was a misquote, it was supposed to be Keaton421, I am sorry about that.

its not really what your writing but how you explain it that gave me the feeling that you didnt like people who love elements of japanese culture. mostly where you said you'll see more anime and jrock,than samurai. like maybe you have some bad ju ju against people liking it more than their own history and culture. if im wrong about this my bad.

ante 01-21-2009 03:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keaton421 (Post 667222)
Your answer isn't very good. Every culture in the world is different. I can't think of any that are difficult to access - if you're saying it's easy because you can watch Japanese cartoons online, you can also watch British TV online, movies from any country, etc.

This doesn't explain why the perverts and weirdos "love Japan".

Every culture is different, I can agree with that, and have never claimed otherwise. I still think that when it comes to deviation, and accessibility, Japanese culture would be at the top. The difference between cultures in the west, contra the Japanese is not equally wide, but the access to it is almost equal. Because of the larger difference I believe that people who take a liking to Japanese culture, are more likely to be deviant in other parts of their life. The reason why it is rather Japanese culture than Zimbabwean, I believe is down to accessibility.

The perverts are probably explained in MMMs post. Are all the "weirdos" perverts?

Keaton421 01-21-2009 03:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ante (Post 667231)
Every culture is different, I can agree with that, and have never claimed otherwise. I still think that when it comes to deviation, and accessibility, Japanese culture would be at the top. The difference between cultures in the west, contra the Japanese is not equally wide, but the access to it is almost equal. Because of the larger difference I believe that people who take a liking to Japanese culture, are more likely to be deviant in other parts of their life. The reason why it is rather Japanese culture than Zimbabwean, I believe is down to accessibility.

The perverts are probably explained in MMMs post. Are all the "weirdos" perverts?

We've finally quit beating around the bush :D

What makes Japanese culture so different from the others? Every culture has its strange and unique parts. E-ve-ry one. The idea that Japan is more different and more strange is a stereotype perpetuated by hack writers and dull people.

What makes Japanese culture so accessible?

And no, all weirdos are not perverts. But all perverts are weirdos! And many pop-culture things that come out of Japan are highly sexualized.

ante 01-21-2009 03:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keaton421 (Post 667227)
Culture runs deeper than the country's ancient warriors. And it definitely runs deeper than cartoons and pop-rock - these things are called Pop Culture. Many of y'all believe culture is only what you see when you walk down the street. There are other aspects to culture, such as beliefs, values, locations, legends... the list goes on.

Yes it does, I still think that appreciating pop culture, while not liking more historical culture, is a valid reason to appreciate a country.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kyousuke (Post 667230)
its not really what your writing but how you explain it that gave me the feeling that you didnt like people who love elements of japanese culture. mostly where you said you'll see more anime and jrock,than samurai. like maybe you have some bad ju ju against people liking it more than their own history and culture. if im wrong about this my bad.

If that is how I came across, then I am sorry, it was not my intention. I don't, however, see it. I believe that you can like Japan for whatever reason you want, and that claims like, that if you don't like certain things/all things about Japan, you don't like the real Japan, is pretentious.

ante 01-21-2009 03:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keaton421 (Post 667234)
What makes Japanese culture so different from the others? Every culture has its strange and unique parts. E-ve-ry one. The idea that Japan is more different and more strange is a stereotype perpetuated by hack writers and dull people.

Modern western culture, I believe, is a lot more homogeneous, than for example modern American and modern Japanese culture. I don't believe that Japanese culture is soooo different, that is words that you have been using, or that it is completely unique.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keaton421 (Post 667234)
What makes Japanese culture so accessible?

The fact that Japan, unlike many African countries for example, is more developed. So we can still recognize it, but it's still different. It's more different than the modern culture of different European countries, or the USA. It is also easier, in my experience, to come into contact with through the internet, than the culture of other Asian, African or South American nations. I might have missed something, though.

Keaton421 01-21-2009 03:49 AM

Just so we're straight:

Culture: a shared, learned, symbolic system of values, beliefs and attitudes that shapes and influences perception and behavior -- an abstract "mental blueprint" or "mental code."

Pop Culture: contemporary lifestyle and items that are well known and generally accepted

1) Modern Western culture is homogenous? Are you saying that American culture is similar all over the country, or that most Western cultures are the same? Neither are true.

Have you forgotten the fact that Japan has borrowed a ton of things from China? One could easily say that the Asian cultures are homogenous.

2) Ease of access? I can agree that it's easy to watch Japanese cartoons or listen to Japanese music on the internet. But that's pop-culture. Developed or un-developed, there are vast quantities of information on every country on Earth.

Quote:

It's more different than the modern culture of different European countries, or the USA.
What?

EDIT: Plus, you still haven't explained why Japan attracts the freaks and geeks. By your logic, let's take England - it's "more different" than Asian countries, and its TV shows are easy to watch online - Is there a big subculture of Asian weirdos and losers that are absolutely obsessed with English pop-culture?

Here's my theory: Japan is a leader in "nerdy" technology, such as robots and artificial women. The anime shows plenty of panty shots (for the boys) and effeminate, kissing boys (for the girls). Anime also depicts nerdy guys getting the girl. These factors come together to make lonely nerds believe that Japan is some kind of sexual paradise, and one where they will be accepted and revered, even though they were hated in their home country. This is why they make no effort to learn the Japanese language, or about Japanese culture - they've found all they want to know about within anime and Jrock!

superheel 01-21-2009 03:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ante (Post 667223)
Go to Japan today, and you are likely to see more JRock and anime, than samurais. To claim that, that is not the "real" Japan, is pretentious at best. It would be sad if people thought that the country was founded by a bunch of pink-haired cartoonists, but I doubt you will find many cases where that is true.

First of all, it's not pretentious. And I'm not the only one in this forum who believes that way. Anime and JRock is just a fraction of what Japan really is. There's alot of people who claims they love Japan, but what they meant is they just love Animes and these effeminate looking guys. Those people wouldnt even bother to explore other things Japan can offer aside from mangas and musicians. How can you people say they like a country without liking it's history? You may say a person can like Japan even he or she ignores and wouldnt give a damn about it's history, that's absolutley wrong. A person may think he loves to eat a whole roast of chicken but in reality he only eats the wings and thinks that other parts doesnt taste good, can you say that that guy loves to eat a whole chicken roast? If you'd just think of the chicken as Japan.

ante 01-21-2009 04:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keaton421 (Post 667241)
1) Modern Western culture is homogenous? Are you saying that American culture is similar all over the country, or that most Western cultures are the same? Neither are true.

For some reason you leave out some words when you read, making you absolutely impossible to talk to. It's not the same, but there are generally more similarities between different countries in the west, than between western countries and Japan.

Quote:

Have you forgotten the fact that Japan has borrowed a ton of things from China? One could easily say that the Asian cultures are homogenous.

That changes nothing.

Quote:

2) Ease of access? I can agree that it's easy to watch Japanese cartoons or listen to Japanese music on the internet. But that's pop-culture. Developed or un-developed, there are vast quantities of information on every country on Earth.

You are trying to prove a point by claiming that pop-culture is not culture. That is both wrong, and ignorant.

Quote:

EDIT: Plus, you still haven't explained why Japan attracts the freaks and geeks. By your logic, let's take England - it's "more different" than Asian countries, and its TV shows are easy to watch online - Is there a big subculture of Asian weirdos and losers that are absolutely obsessed with English pop-culture?

I believe that a deviant culture might, to a higher degree, attract deviant people.

Quote:

Here's my theory: Japan is a leader in "nerdy" technology, such as robots and artificial women. The anime shows plenty of panty shots (for the boys) and effeminate, kissing boys (for the girls). Anime also depicts nerdy guys getting the girl. These factors come together to make lonely nerds believe that Japan is some kind of sexual paradise, and one where they will be accepted and revered, even though they were hated in their home country. This is why they make no effort to learn the Japanese language, or about Japanese culture - they've found all they want to know about within anime and Jrock!

Perhaps, I'm not saying you're right or wrong, but it doesn't in fact contradict what I have been saying.

I give up, because you have no interest in listening to what I'm saying.

Quote:

Originally Posted by superheel (Post 667243)
First of all, it's not pretentious. And I'm not the only one in this forum who believes that way. Anime and JRock is just a fraction of what Japan really is. There's alot of people who claims they love Japan, but what they meant is they just love Animes and these effeminate looking guys. Those people wouldnt even bother to explore other things Japan can offer aside from mangas and musicians. How can you people say they like a country without liking it's history? You may say a person can like Japan even he or she ignores and wouldnt give a damn about it's history, that's absolutley wrong. A person may think he loves to eat a whole roast of chicken but in reality he only eats the wings and thinks that other parts doesnt taste good, can you say that that guy loves to eat a whole chicken roast? If you'd just think of the chicken as Japan.

I believe that you can like a country for whatever reason you like. I like my country because of the social security, the freedom, some of the music, the food and a lot of the people, among other things. I couldn't give a toss about vikings or mad kings trying to conquer Europe.