JapanForum.com

JapanForum.com (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/)
-   General Discussion (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/general-discussion/)
-   -   Why does Japanese culture attracts foreign weirdoes? (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/general-discussion/22591-why-does-japanese-culture-attracts-foreign-weirdoes.html)

Keaton421 01-21-2009 05:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ante (Post 667286)
For some reason you leave out some words when you read, making you absolutely impossible to talk to. It's not the same, but there are generally more similarities between different countries in the west, than between western countries and Japan.

The differences between Russia and America are just as profound as between Spain and Japan.

What I'm saying is, why doesn't this work the other way? If Asian cultures are so different from ours, is there an entire army of Asian people obsessed with German Pop Culture?

Quote:

You are trying to prove a point by claiming that pop-culture is not culture. That is both wrong, and ignorant.
My father got his PhD in sociology. He also agrees that culture and pop-culture are two very different things. Culture is a shared system of beliefs, history, and mindset passed from one generation to another. Pop culture is whatever is popular in the media at the moment. That's an empirical fact, and you're trying to argue with me about the definitions of words. This is not just an argument of "people like different things." Sometimes, Pop Culture almost becomes culture, or even changes it, but it is extremely rare.

Quote:

I believe that a deviant culture might, to a higher degree, attract deviant people.
There is no such thing as a "deviant culture". Seeing as how Japan is not part of America's social norms, we cannot judge them as deviant - weird, sure, deviant, no. Sorry, I just had to argue with semantics there. But I can understand what you're saying, that a country where "perversion" and nerdiness are more acceptable will attract those types of people.

Besides, you've never explained to me what, exactly, is so weird and different about Japan! You're only saying "it's weird and different"

Quote:

I believe that you can like a country for whatever reason you like. I like my country because of the social security, the freedom, some of the music, the food and a lot of the people, among other things. I couldn't give a toss about vikings or mad kings trying to conquer Europe.
It's sad to hear that you don't care about Swedish history, cause it's really cool stuff! But you live in your country, and you experience many parts of it, from the second you wake up til the minute you fall asleep - even while you're sleeping, your country affects you! - so if you love or hate your country, your opinion is very valid. An example of an invalid opinion is an otaku who's heard about maid cafes and watched some anime and says "I love Japan." There's a big difference.

zed 01-21-2009 05:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by superheel (Post 667243)
First of all, it's not pretentious. And I'm not the only one in this forum who believes that way. Anime and JRock is just a fraction of what Japan really is. There's alot of people who claims they love Japan, but what they meant is they just love Animes and these effeminate looking guys. Those people wouldnt even bother to explore other things Japan can offer aside from mangas and musicians. How can you people say they like a country without liking it's history? You may say a person can like Japan even he or she ignores and wouldnt give a damn about it's history, that's absolutley wrong. A person may think he loves to eat a whole roast of chicken but in reality he only eats the wings and thinks that other parts doesnt taste good, can you say that that guy loves to eat a whole chicken roast? If you'd just think of the chicken as Japan.

I agree completely, picture this, you go to japan, and get into a conversation whit a local and you say oh I love your culture. and they ask you what about it? oh J pop, J rock, and anime. that's it, well I assure you are going to look prety ignorant.

Kojiro 01-21-2009 05:58 AM

I... sort of consider myself a weirdo..... and I say that I "love japan" but after reading though this discussion I really can't say that I really "love it". I know that I wanna learn more about japan but I don't know where to start. I don't know too much about the history except for some things about samurai but I don't know much about how Japan became what it is today.

I guess one of the real things that attract me to Japanese people right now is the power of their will and motivation I think? I guess I get envious about this idea and how I'm not too motivated in lot's of things I do.

This might not really add much to this discussion but maybe I can learn something new from interaction. This thread seems too interesting to ignore.

superheel 01-21-2009 06:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ante (Post 667286)
I believe that you can like a country for whatever reason you like. I like my country because of the social security, the freedom, some of the music, the food and a lot of the people, among other things. I couldn't give a toss about vikings or mad kings trying to conquer Europe.

That's what you believe in, I have no problem with that, I repect that. But it just doesnt work that way.

Keaton421 01-21-2009 06:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kojiro (Post 667308)
I... sort of consider myself a weirdo..... and I say that I "love japan" but after reading though this discussion I really can't say that I really "love it".

SUCCESS! I'm glad we could provide a learning environment for you (that's job #1), and I'm glad you're being honest with yourself, that takes guts. You won't really be able to say you love Japan until you've there lived like one of its people, but maybe you'll learn something on your way there!

Quote:

I know that I wanna learn more about japan but I don't know where to start. I don't know too much about the history except for some things about samurai but I don't know much about how Japan became what it is today.

I guess one of the real things that attract me to Japanese people right now is the power of their will and motivation I think? I guess I get envious about this idea and how I'm not too motivated in lot's of things I do.

This might not really add much to this discussion but maybe I can learn something new from interaction. This thread seems too interesting to ignore.
Hey man, I'm glad you responded! There are many ways you could get involved with Japanese culture! The best way, of course, is to visit the country. If you can't do that, there are some good books on Japanese culture, and lots of books in its history! Start with japan-guide.com, browse through some articles on culture, and if something catches your eye, do some deeper research! Good luck man

Kojiro 01-21-2009 06:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keaton421 (Post 667310)
SUCCESS! I'm glad we could provide a learning environment for you (that's job #1), and I'm glad you're being honest with yourself, that takes guts. You won't really be able to say you love Japan until you've there lived like one of its people, but maybe you'll learn something on your way there!

I'm glad that Japanforum has such a learning environment. Lot's of other forums i've been sifting through that I thought had japanese culture to learn about in them were just all the usual Anime, Manga and Videogames thing and well it just... all the same discussions on " What's your fave manga" and similar. :/

I do hope to visit Japan one day. I just need to get life straightened here first a bit ^_^;. I remember I got some notes from people here last time i was active about planning a trip there.



Quote:

Originally Posted by Keaton421 (Post 667310)
Hey man, I'm glad you responded! There are many ways you could get involved with Japanese culture! The best way, of course, is to visit the country. If you can't do that, there are some good books on Japanese culture, and lots of books in its history! Start with japan-guide.com, browse through some articles on culture, and if something catches your eye, do some deeper research! Good luck man

For the books on Japanese culture... do you recommend any titles? I'll also be definitely checking out that site as well. Too bad it's late where I am right now but... I tend to remember things better when i look up something before sleeping so right now might be the best time for me to look some things up.

Thanks for the great response :D!

minimin 01-21-2009 06:25 AM

I can call my self a "weirdo" but not a "Japan loving, pocky eating manga reading weirdo" haha, but I remember when i was in H.S. and gained interest in Japan, watching shows on history channel and Travel, and checking books out the library. I was crazy obssesive about learning about Japan I kno a few things and now I want to learn the language of course so. I like this site because it gives me insight and everything. and I think every country has its weirdo's but there's something about Japan that I dont know maybe the fact that that there up on the trends and always creating new technology that always attracts the wierdo's, but one day I wanna visit. ^_^

GregFromScotland 01-21-2009 06:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kojiro (Post 667315)
I'm glad that Japanforum has such a learning environment. Lot's of other forums i've been sifting through that I thought had japanese culture to learn about in them were just all the usual Anime, Manga and Videogames thing and well it just... all the same discussions on " What's your fave manga" and similar. :/

I do hope to visit Japan one day. I just need to get life straightened here first a bit ^_^;. I remember I got some notes from people here last time i was active about planning a trip there.





For the books on Japanese culture... do you recommend any titles? I'll also be definitely checking out that site as well. Too bad it's late where I am right now but... I tend to remember things better when i look up something before sleeping so right now might be the best time for me to look some things up.

Thanks for the great response :D!

Go find the book "The Crysanthemum (spelling?) and the sword"

jasminoodle 01-22-2009 09:52 PM

becasue it is a very independant country in its ways of style and stuff, its just cool.
and i love anime becasue i have also liked cartoons :)

Odin 01-22-2009 11:49 PM

I really don't have a hard time understanding, the reasons behind the fanaticism of the so call "weirdos".

One just needs to look at the culture products they are pushed by the Japanese media & industrial complexes themselves:

  • J-Rock/Pop, Anime & Manga, Automobiles, Video Games etc...

We all know that this is not the sum total culture of Japan. The reasons that the corporations push these aspects is simple. It is because they are new, and they can be tied directly to that companies profit centers. If they were to push a more traditional aspect of the culture, there would be no guaranty they they would be the beneficiaries.

Now because the products that are marketed tend to be high energy, it tends to attract people with high energy personalities. Being high energy, these types of personalities tend obsessive about those things that stimulate them. Hence the the crazed fandom of those subjects.

Now if you look a country like France or Germany, they have a tendency to push the more traditional aspects of their cultures, and the pop aspects of their cultures in a less perverse way. That being said, when you find a German metal fan, or just a good old fashioned Francophile, you may find them to every bit as obsesive as those of the Japanese.


All times are GMT. The time now is 09:39 PM.

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.0.0 RC6