JapanForum.com  


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
(#81 (permalink))
Old
burkhartdesu's Avatar
burkhartdesu (Offline)
JF Old Timer
 
Posts: 740
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Alaska
02-08-2009, 01:52 AM

Indeed.
Reply With Quote
(#82 (permalink))
Old
Nagoyankee's Avatar
Nagoyankee (Offline)
中庸を得るのだ~
 
Posts: 2,119
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Tokyo, Japan
02-08-2009, 01:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobora View Post
You know Im not really sure I guess they just feel comftorable with Japanese things. I like it becuz its interesting. Not to mention I learned the English Culture first so Jap isnt my first.
Hey, who are you calling 'Jap'? If you're from the States, you should know how that word is used.
Reply With Quote
(#83 (permalink))
Old
burkhartdesu's Avatar
burkhartdesu (Offline)
JF Old Timer
 
Posts: 740
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Alaska
02-08-2009, 01:54 AM

Ahaha, that sonavabitch. Come to a Japan-lovers website and go shoutin' around things like "JAP".


LETS STONE HIM TO DEATH
Reply With Quote
(#84 (permalink))
Old
Payne222's Avatar
Payne222 (Offline)
un américain
 
Posts: 393
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Chicagoland
02-08-2009, 04:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagoyankee View Post
Hey, who are you calling 'Jap'? If you're from the States, you should know how that word is used.
You should call him a Yank back.
Reply With Quote
(#85 (permalink))
Old
ThirdSight's Avatar
ThirdSight (Offline)
Bane of Stupidity
 
Posts: 467
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: California
Send a message via AIM to ThirdSight
02-08-2009, 08:49 PM

If everyone's quite finished applying their biased, self preserving point of views on a country they know nothing about, I'd like to add two cents to this whole debacle.

My credentials:
- I know nothing about Japan. Few things here, a few things there; it still amounts to nothing.
- I watch anime and read manga, reasons being because I'm a fan of comics and I can rarely find anything good to watch on American television. Just not my thing.

First thing to realize is that the people obsessing over Japan (apply any derogetory term here, there's quite a few) would obsess over something else if given the chance. These kinds of people don't have very high self esteem in the first place, and need to latch onto something psychologically in order to remain sane, even if it comes at the cost of their social life and skills. If it wasn't Japan, it'd be Mudkips. Is that what you want? And if we're truly going to compare people who are a fan of Japanese Pop culture, to some degree or form, we can't leave out those that subscribe to the Pop culture of the country you're living in. They're the same people, the only difference between the two is which country's "culture" they decide to latch onto.

MMM made a marvelous point about sex, because that's what it comes down to, once you remove practically everything else. But think: are these weirdos and Japan-lovers so different from anyone driven by sex in your own country? Turn on the television, and sex is everywhere, in your native language. Playboy and Hustler; ettchi and hentai comics. Different of course, but with striking similarities.

Furthermore, we can't ignore the era that we live in. We live in an age where information is at our fingertips, should we require it (this post is testament to that fact). To Westerners (pretty much Americans, Eurpoeans, and anyone else in a few select countries), Japanese "cuture" is more widely spread than any other. China makes nearly everything, and Germany can crank out a few amazing gadgets every now and again that make it to a Western television set. But Japanese "cuture" is still more widely spread. It's associated with video games. It's associated with comics. It's associated with certain digital effects. And it's associated with things that are foreign and mysterious. All this doesn't mean that Japan and it's "culture" is mysterious and amazing, it just means it's associated with the notions. I'm not sure how it started, but with a little research, you'll find the source.

Therefore, because it's associated with being mysterious and amazing, it's seen as such, regardless if it's the truth or not. The reasons for this aren't too farfetched. Of course, Japan isn't any more different than any other foreign country, but compared to England? London? Russia? These all have some sililarities with Western "culture", therefore the culture shock is much lower. There are a great many things within the daily lives of Japanese people that Westerners consider radical, making the culture shock much higher, therefore making the culture appear so much more different than any other culture around the world.

It boils down to subliminal advertising. Every country is guilty of it, and every country does it. Americans are known to be fat, lazy, hamburger eaters, violent, and Baseball fans. England and London are known for their good manners and accents. Europe in general is known for its embrace in sexual culture and "lack of rules" (if we're to ask our fellow college graduate). Russia's known to be cold as hell. Every last country has assumptions made about it, steming from the ideas that get into people's heads due to that country's "culture" leaking out into the global field. Ignorance does the rest for us, and we make wild assumptions about the whole thing.

Japan attracts the weirdos because they find themselves in lack of social skills that they willingly gave up in order to latch onto Japanese "culture". This creates assumptions that Japanese "culture" is based around what these weirdos obsess over and the cons they attend. Because most people don't understand the obsession itself or the items being obsessed over, many Westerners attribute Japan to being myseterious itself.


-M@

How in the world do people reach 1,000+ posts?


Skadoosh.
Reply With Quote
(#86 (permalink))
Old
Jaydelart's Avatar
Jaydelart (Offline)
ジェイデラート
 
Posts: 777
Join Date: Apr 2008
02-08-2009, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdSight View Post
If everyone's quite finished applying their biased, self preserving point of views on a country they know nothing about, I'd like to add two cents to this whole debacle.
Nice post, Third, but I'm somewhat confused.
When you say "everyone"... does it quite literally mean everyone?
Reply With Quote
(#87 (permalink))
Old
Koir's Avatar
Koir (Offline)
Meow.
 
Posts: 973
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Canada
02-08-2009, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaydelart View Post
Nice post, Third, but I'm somewhat confused.
When you say "everyone"... does it quite literally mean everyone?
I believe it was a general reference, Jaydelart.

As for ThirdSight's post, it's the most sensible, well-thought contribution to the thread so far, in my opinion.


Fortunately, there is one woman in this world who can control me.

Unfortunately for you, she is not here.

"Ride for ruin, and the world ended!"
Reply With Quote
(#88 (permalink))
Old
Jaydelart's Avatar
Jaydelart (Offline)
ジェイデラート
 
Posts: 777
Join Date: Apr 2008
02-08-2009, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koir View Post
I believe it was a general reference, Jaydelart.

As for ThirdSight's post, it's the most sensible, well-thought contribution to the thread so far, in my opinion.
I figured it as such, but I wasn't entirely certain. I do agree with his overall point; However, I just prefer to know when I'm being told I'm a fool... if you understand what I mean. My apologies.
Reply With Quote
(#89 (permalink))
Old
ThirdSight's Avatar
ThirdSight (Offline)
Bane of Stupidity
 
Posts: 467
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: California
Send a message via AIM to ThirdSight
02-08-2009, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaydelart View Post
Nice post, Third, but I'm somewhat confused.
When you say "everyone"... does it quite literally mean everyone?
Oh no, I mean everyone who will ever lay eyes on this post.
/sarcasm

I'm just feeling sausy today, that's all. After reading through the thread, it seemed like everyone was making assumptions on top of assumptions in order to clarify assumptions.

Interesting thread idea though. Rare we get to see an actual debate going down on JF!


And no, I woudn't call someone a fool unless they did the honor of displaying it themselves first, which you have never done Jay.


-M@

How in the world do people reach 1,000+ posts?


Skadoosh.
Reply With Quote
(#90 (permalink))
Old
tokyo88's Avatar
tokyo88 (Offline)
JF Regular
 
Posts: 37
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Tunisia
Send a message via MSN to tokyo88 Send a message via Yahoo to tokyo88 Send a message via Skype™ to tokyo88
Keaton421 - 02-09-2009, 12:07 AM

Hey Keaton421 i never accept your comment so i ask you to respect us the Japan Forum members and don't say like that about Japan and about us you mean that we are stupid ???

and Japan is more color full and you are just a sick man
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




Copyright 2003-2006 Virtual Japan.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.0.0 RC6