JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#11 (permalink))
Old
ante (Offline)
JF Regular

01-20-2009, 11:44 PM

Just cartoons, indeed, art, movies are not culture. Look at the fashion.

A person is a success if they get up in the morning and gets to bed at night and in between does what he wants to do.
-Bob Dylan
(#12 (permalink))
Old
Keaton421 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

01-21-2009, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ante View Post
Just cartoons, indeed, art, movies are not culture. Look at the fashion.
I'm sorry, what? That didn't make any sense.

Oh! I wish I was in the land of Ramen
Otaku there are not downtrodden
Kawaii! Kawaii! Kawaii, Desu Ne!

MAXIMUM VIPER
Defender of the Scholar, Scourge of the Otaku, Savior of Japan
(#13 (permalink))
Old
zed (Offline)
JF Regular

01-21-2009, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sitron View Post
I just started learning Japanese and frequent Japanese boards like /jp/ on 4chan.org - what I've noticed is that unlike France or Germany, Japanese culture attract really, really weird foreign people.
Don't mistake me, I love Japanese culture. But all the pedophiles, cartoon nerds, lonely bitter misogynists, racists that think that the Japanese are some kind of super-race, and freaks who want to become Japanese almost made me learn Spanish instead.

Why do you think that Japanese culture attracts the attention of so many social retards, nerds, pedophiles, NEETs, and freaks in general?
I wasn't atracted to japan because of the anime and stuff, i was their history what made de trick, I was intrigued by the samrai way and all the dinasties, and the way they picture their heroes and alot or other things,

by the way, I too like anime but not all of it, has to have a good story and not have all gay stuff that alot of them have nowdays.

HI JF I AM BACK!!!
Original language: spanish learning to write in english......so be patient.

Last edited by zed : 01-21-2009 at 12:30 AM.
(#14 (permalink))
Old
ante (Offline)
JF Regular

01-21-2009, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keaton421 View Post
I'm sorry, what? That didn't make any sense.
Cartoons, art, music, movies, it's all culture. Fashion is culture. If you don't see a difference between Japanese culture, and that of other parts of the world, then I can't help you.

A person is a success if they get up in the morning and gets to bed at night and in between does what he wants to do.
-Bob Dylan
(#15 (permalink))
Old
Keaton421 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

01-21-2009, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Cartoons, art, music, movies, it's all culture. Fashion is culture. If you don't see a difference between Japanese culture, and that of other parts of the world, then I can't help you.
I'm sorry, but I find it impossible to consider Sailor Moon and decora fashion the "defining modern culture of Japan." If it is, the country's really gone down the tubes.

MAXIMUM VIPER
(#16 (permalink))
Old
ante (Offline)
JF Regular

01-21-2009, 12:34 AM

Quote:
I'm sorry, but I find it impossible to consider Sailor Moon and decora fashion the "defining modern culture of Japan." If it is, the country's really gone down the tubes.
The fact that the only thing you managed to extract from that list was Sailor Moon and decora fashion, shows that you have a narrow view of Japan.

-Bob Dylan
(#17 (permalink))
Old
Keaton421 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

01-21-2009, 12:37 AM

Quote:
The fact that the only thing you managed to extract from that list was Sailor Moon and decora fashion, shows that you have a narrow view of Japan.
I don't exactly have time to list every single anime show and fashion style in Japan. Do you?

There are so many Japan defenders on this forum, just like the otaku it's an enigma to me.

MAXIMUM VIPER
(#18 (permalink))
Old
Koir (Offline)
Meow.

01-21-2009, 12:40 AM

Quote:
I don't exactly have time to list every single anime show and fashion style in Japan. Do you?

There are so many Japan defenders on this forum, just like the otaku it's an enigma to me.
To my thinking, it's also an enigma that I'm seeing another person who increasingly chooses to only view things that are personally disliked and determining the entire forum to be only those things.

To the original thread idea: It may be due to Japan's unique entertainment, fashion, and social structure that people with (let's say) specialized interests become more noticeable as they also form social structures to express those interests.

Fortunately, there is one woman in this world who can control me.

Unfortunately for you, she is not here.

"Ride for ruin, and the world ended!"

Last edited by Koir : 01-21-2009 at 12:47 AM.
(#19 (permalink))
Old
animemaga (Offline)
JF Regular

01-21-2009, 12:42 AM

Japan attracts people and makes them weird...but in a good way. That's my way of thinking about it.

(#20 (permalink))
Old
Keaton421 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

01-21-2009, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koir View Post
To my thinking, it's also an enigma that I'm seeing another person who increasingly chooses to only view things that are personally disliked and determining the entire forum to be only those things.
I don't think I'm that odd - I'm just out of place; among hundreds of anime-obsessed lunatics.

But back to my original topic, here's a great quote from the article God Hates Janks! about the following that Japan(ese cartoons) attracts, and the belief that Japan is so "weird and different":

Quote:
The fact that Japan's culture appears curiously odd to the average Western shmuck -- and a totally unknown element to those around him -- is the catalyst which spawns armies of researchers and "experts" and pundits who step all over each other's testicles trying to analyze it.

Japanophilia is, simply put, a never-ending posturing session to determine which person can use Japan's culture to their best ego-boosting advantage. People have the mistaken impression that Japan is still some sort of mysterious unknown alien culture, and the people who can sit back and toss off-hand expert explanations with one eyebrow raised are hailed as the next Indiana Fucking Jones.

They broadcast their feather-ruffling territorial display across all forms of media. A book is published about every seven seconds on how Japan, Inc.™ is a cold calculating oppressive economic machine with armies of suited slaves who fall asleep on the train every night, with several chapters explaining why. There are a billion newspaper articles and a billion billion web sites and a billion billion billion Usenet articles describing self-made experts and what sets them apart from the billion billion billion billion other self-made experts. I went to Japan several thousand times. I lived in Tokyo for X years. I took a piss in the back men's room of the government Diet building, where no foreigner has ever been. I went to a night class at Bumblefuck Community College to take a Japanese course, and now I can write in Japanese. See my web site, with the pretty Japanese writing all over it? Yeah, it's gibberish, but none of you unwashed uncultured fucks will ever know.

MAXIMUM VIPER