JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#31 (permalink))
Old
superheel (Offline)
JF Old Timer

01-21-2009, 01:56 AM

There's only one thing i'm sure about, if you only like Japan because of Anime, Music and Modern Fashion, then you don't like Japan at all.

"Save the earth from Global Warming!"
(#32 (permalink))
Old
ante (Offline)
JF Regular

01-21-2009, 02:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keaton421 View Post
You said that "manga, anime and fashion" (by fashion I presume you mean Harajuku) are the defining modern aspects of Japanese culture. I hope you're wrong
I said:

Cartoons, art, music, movies, it's all culture. Fashion is culture. If you don't see a difference between Japanese culture, and that of other parts of the world, then I can't help you.

You chose to read what you wanted to see. There is more to Japanese cinema than a new popular anime, there is more to Japansese art than Naruto, there is more to Japanese fashion than Harajuku( Know what's now in Tokyo! style-arena.jp ). Besides the point was that there is a difference, not if you like the culture or not.

A person is a success if they get up in the morning and gets to bed at night and in between does what he wants to do.
-Bob Dylan
(#33 (permalink))
Old
ante (Offline)
JF Regular

01-21-2009, 02:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by superheel View Post
There's only one thing i'm sure about, if you only like Japan because of Anime, Music and Modern Fashion, then you don't like Japan at all.
What do you need to like, to like Japan? Just curious.

A person is a success if they get up in the morning and gets to bed at night and in between does what he wants to do.
-Bob Dylan
(#34 (permalink))
Old
Keaton421 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

01-21-2009, 02:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ante View Post
I said:

Cartoons, art, music, movies, it's all culture. Fashion is culture. If you don't see a difference between Japanese culture, and that of other parts of the world, then I can't help you.
You also said:

If we are talking about more classical culture(kimonos, katanas, etc) then I agree that it isn't necessarily more different, but most people are introduced through anime, manga and video games.

I haven't been introduced to any modern, defining culture from Germany, Brazil, India or Zimbabwe. I might just be ignorant.

If you think the only things in classical Japanese culture are kimono and kitana, then I can't help you either.

Oh! I wish I was in the land of Ramen
Otaku there are not downtrodden
Kawaii! Kawaii! Kawaii, Desu Ne!

MAXIMUM VIPER
Defender of the Scholar, Scourge of the Otaku, Savior of Japan
(#35 (permalink))
Old
Kyousuke (Offline)
Seiryuu

01-21-2009, 02:08 AM

idk if you can say japan is the weirdest place in the world that attracts people. im not saying its not. when you see a tv show where you run into a wall then you lose all understanding of what the hells going on. but i think other nations have their own cultural following to it. germany gave us a wide arrange of things, skin heads being one of them. i think japan stands out is because their more open to share it than anyone else is.

besides i dont think japan attracts weirdos, i think it made most of them.

"Im too drunk to taste this chicken" - colonel sanders

Last edited by Kyousuke : 01-21-2009 at 02:11 AM.
(#36 (permalink))
Old
superheel (Offline)
JF Old Timer

01-21-2009, 02:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ante View Post
What do you need to like, to like Japan? Just curious.
The Japan I like is the Japan with a wonderful history and a very interesting culture not the Japan filled with anime geeks and people who would die just to see a JRock musician. People call themselves obsessed with Japan because they like animes, but if you asked them if they ever cared about historical samurais and geishas and they'll respond by saying it's corny or they don't care at all, then can you call that a person who likes the "real" Japan?

"Save the earth from Global Warming!"
(#37 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

01-21-2009, 02:22 AM

Quote:
The Japan I like is the Japan with a wonderful history and a very interesting culture not the Japan filled with anime geeks and people who would die just to see a JRock musician. People call themselves obsessed with Japan because they like animes, but if you asked them if they ever cared about historical samurais and geishas and they'll respond by saying it's corny or they don't care at all, then can you call that a person who likes the "real" Japan?
At the same time, ask a typical Japanese teenager if they care about geisha and samurai.
(#38 (permalink))
Old
Keaton421 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

01-21-2009, 02:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
At the same time, ask a typical Japanese teenager if they care about geisha and samurai.
Then again, the typical teenager anywhere in the world doesn't care about anything but TV, cell phones and how their hair looks.

An outsider and an insider will always like a country for different reasons.

Oh! I wish I was in the land of Ramen
Otaku there are not downtrodden
Kawaii! Kawaii! Kawaii, Desu Ne!

MAXIMUM VIPER
Defender of the Scholar, Scourge of the Otaku, Savior of Japan
(#39 (permalink))
Old
Kyousuke (Offline)
Seiryuu

01-21-2009, 02:24 AM

Quote:
but anime and all that was made by REAL japanese. it wasnt introduced to the country by other nations otherwise some other nation would be sought by anime fanboys and jrock music fans. and how is that any different from any nation? if an american doesnt know their history then you cant just say he isnt an american or that he is unamerican can you?

"Im too drunk to taste this chicken" - colonel sanders
(#40 (permalink))
Old
ante (Offline)
JF Regular

01-21-2009, 02:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keaton421 View Post
You also said:

If we are talking about more classical culture(kimonos, katanas, etc) then I agree that it isn't necessarily more different, but most people are introduced through anime, manga and video games.

I haven't been introduced to any modern, defining culture from Germany, Brazil, India or Zimbabwe. I might just be ignorant.
Oh, come off it now, will you? Stop taking things completely out of context. At least highlight the whole sentence

but most people are introduced through anime, manga and video games.

Yes, anime, manga and video games are defining for Japan, and modern, like it or not, that really doesn't change the point. It is also the way most people are introduced to the culture at a young age. I then provided you with other areas where their culture is different, but you chose to hang on to my first post.

It doesn't mean it's the only thing defining that culture, or the best things, or the things you like.

-Bob Dylan