LinkBack Thread Tools
(#41 (permalink))
Old
Keaton421 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

01-21-2009, 02:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ante View Post
Oh, come off it now, will you? Stop taking things completely out of context. At least highlight the whole sentence

but most people are introduced through anime, manga and video games.

Yes, anime, manga and video games are defining for Japan, and modern, like it or not, that really doesn't change the point. It is also the way most people are introduced to the culture at a young age. I then provided you with other areas where their culture is different, but you chose to hang on to my first post.

It doesn't mean it's the only thing defining that culture, or the best things, or the things you like.
I still don't think that anime, manga or video games are defining. But they are modern!

What are you trying to say?

Oh! I wish I was in the land of Ramen
Otaku there are not downtrodden
Kawaii! Kawaii! Kawaii, Desu Ne!

MAXIMUM VIPER
Defender of the Scholar, Scourge of the Otaku, Savior of Japan
(#42 (permalink))
Old
ante (Offline)
JF Regular

01-21-2009, 02:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by superheel View Post
The Japan I like is the Japan with a wonderful history and a very interesting culture not the Japan filled with anime geeks and people who would die just to see a JRock musician. People call themselves obsessed with Japan because they like animes, but if you asked them if they ever cared about historical samurais and geishas and they'll respond by saying it's corny or they don't care at all, then can you call that a person who likes the "real" Japan?
So if I like the music, the movies, the art, the litterature, the fashion, etc. Produced by Japanese people of today, I don't like the "real" Japan?

A person is a success if they get up in the morning and gets to bed at night and in between does what he wants to do.
-Bob Dylan
(#43 (permalink))
Old
ante (Offline)
JF Regular

01-21-2009, 02:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keaton421 View Post
I still don't think that anime, manga or video games are defining. But they are modern!

What are you trying to say?
That Japan has a modern, accessible culture, that is different from the culture of other parts of the world. Something that you questioned at the start of the thread.

Quote:
How is it more different than Germany, Brazil, India and Zimbabwe?

This is all I ever hear: "Japan is soooo different". How?

A person is a success if they get up in the morning and gets to bed at night and in between does what he wants to do.
-Bob Dylan
(#44 (permalink))
Old
Kyousuke (Offline)
Seiryuu

Quote:
Oh, come off it now, will you? Stop taking things completely out of context. At least highlight the whole sentence

but most people are introduced through anime, manga and video games.

Yes, anime, manga and video games are defining for Japan, and modern, like it or not, that really doesn't change the point. It is also the way most people are introduced to the culture at a young age. I then provided you with other areas where their culture is different, but you chose to hang on to my first post.

It doesn't mean it's the only thing defining that culture, or the best things, or the things you like.
instead of writing about how you despise people who, you think, dont like japan, then why not start a post for those interested in things other than anime,manga,jrock,etc and youll see that everyone here are not just interested in those things. one reason i love japan is its castles like himeji castle. a friend i met on here is into the japanese underground music scene. they are very creative and well coordinated when it comes to music and dance. you wouldnt stereotype a mexican about him hanging out in front of home depot, so why would you stereotype people who love japan?

"Im too drunk to taste this chicken" - colonel sanders
(#45 (permalink))
Old
Keaton421 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Quote:
So if I like the music, the movies, the art, the litterature, the fashion, etc. Produced by Japanese people of today, I don't like the "real" Japan?
We're not talking about that.

And we're not trying to prove that "we love Japan more than you you and you." I don't even "love Japan" - no one who hasn't lived in Japan can claim that they do.

The problem is, people say they "love Japan", when really they're trying to say "I love anime, manga, Visual Kei and Harajuku fashion" - it's almost always these four, and they always say they "love Japan".

Quote:
That Japan has a modern, accessible culture, that is different from the culture of other parts of the world. Something that you questioned at the start of the thread.
So you started this because of a simple misunderstanding. That's alright.

I'm just saying that many people act as if Japan is sooooo strange and different. The reality is that Japan is no stranger or more different than any other country in this world - there are just dull people who believe that it is.

Let's get back to the original point - why does Japan attract such freaks and weirdos with an obsessive following?

MAXIMUM VIPER

Last edited by Keaton421 : 01-21-2009 at 02:37 AM.
(#46 (permalink))
Old
superheel (Offline)
JF Old Timer

01-21-2009, 02:52 AM

Whether we like it or not, animes and mangas is not the heart of Japan. Japan has been a strong country even before JRock and Animes were thought about. Yes, Anime is one of Japan's most wonderful creation, I appreciate anime. What I don't appreciate is when people appreciate it more than the country's history and background. Japan has a wonderful history and people ignore it because of music and cartoons.

"Save the earth from Global Warming!"
(#47 (permalink))
Old
ante (Offline)
JF Regular

01-21-2009, 02:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyousuke View Post
instead of writing about how you despise people who, you think, dont like japan, then why not start a post for those interested in things other than anime,manga,jrock,etc and youll see that everyone here are not just interested in those things. one reason i love japan is its castles like himeji castle. a friend i met on here is into the japanese underground music scene. they are very creative and well coordinated when it comes to music and dance. you wouldnt stereotype a mexican about him hanging out in front of home depot, so why would you stereotype people who love japan?
Excuse me, what? I have never claimed that I dislike people who dislike Japan, neither have I professed some love for Japan.

Quote:
We're not talking about that.

And we're not trying to prove that "we love Japan more than you you and you." I don't even "love Japan" - no one who hasn't lived in Japan can claim that they do.

The problem is, people say they "love Japan", when really they're trying to say "I love anime, manga, Visual Kei and Harajuku fashion" - it's almost always these four, and they always say they "love Japan".
No one is talking about loving Japan, the thread was about why Japan attracts "weirdos". I came with a theory that it's because it has a modern culture that is different, and easy to access.

superheel then came with the claim that you don't like the real Japan unless you appreciate it's history. I claim that you can like the modern Japan, be ignorant about the history, and still like Japan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyousuke View Post
So you started this because of a simple misunderstanding. That's alright.

I'm just saying that many people act as if Japan is sooooo strange and different. The reality is that Japan is no stranger or more different than any other country in this world - there are just dull people who believe that it is.
I started what? You asked what was different about Japan, I provided an answer. You didn't like that particular part of the culture and therefor dismissed it. I still claim that modern Japanese culture is different, and easy to access, that's the difference between Japanese culture, and the culture of many other countries, that it's modern and easy to access, while being different.

-Bob Dylan
(#48 (permalink))
Old
Keaton421 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

01-21-2009, 03:00 AM

Your answer isn't very good. Every culture in the world is different. I can't think of any that are difficult to access - if you're saying it's easy because you can watch Japanese cartoons online, you can also watch British TV online, movies from any country, etc.

This doesn't explain why the perverts and weirdos "love Japan".

MAXIMUM VIPER
(#49 (permalink))
Old
ante (Offline)
JF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by superheel View Post
Whether we like it or not, animes and mangas is not the heart of Japan. Japan has been a strong country even before JRock and Animes were thought about. Yes, Anime is one of Japan's most wonderful creation, I appreciate anime. What I don't appreciate is when people appreciate it more than the country's history and background. Japan has a wonderful history and people ignore it because of music and cartoons.
Go to Japan today, and you are likely to see more JRock and anime, than samurais. To claim that, that is not the "real" Japan, is pretentious at best. It would be sad if people thought that the country was founded by a bunch of pink-haired cartoonists, but I doubt you will find many cases where that is true.

-Bob Dylan
(#50 (permalink))
Old
Kyousuke (Offline)
Seiryuu

Quote:
Excuse me, what? I have never claimed that I dislike people who dislike Japan, neither have I professed some love for Japan.

No one is talking about loving Japan, the thread was about why Japan attracts "weirdos". I came with a theory that it's because it has a modern culture that is different, and easy to access.

superheel then came with the claim that you don't like the real Japan unless you appreciate it's history. I claim that you can like the modern Japan, be ignorant about the history, and still like Japan.

I started what? You asked what was different about Japan, I provided an answer. You didn't like that particular part of the culture and therefor dismissed it. I still claim that modern Japanese culture is different, and easy to access, that's the difference between Japanese culture, and the culture of many other countries, that it's modern and easy to access, while being different.
first qoute: you couldve fooled me

second qoute: wtf? i didnt say that. i dont say "Sooo" its kinda weird.

"Im too drunk to taste this chicken" - colonel sanders