JapanForum.com

JapanForum.com (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/)
-   General Discussion (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/general-discussion/)
-   -   Why does Japanese culture attracts foreign weirdoes? (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/general-discussion/22591-why-does-japanese-culture-attracts-foreign-weirdoes.html)

Sitron 01-20-2009 10:30 PM

Why does Japanese culture attracts foreign weirdoes?
 
I just started learning Japanese and frequent Japanese boards like /jp/ on 4chan.org - what I've noticed is that unlike France or Germany, Japanese culture attract really, really weird foreign people.
Don't mistake me, I love Japanese culture. But all the pedophiles, cartoon nerds, lonely bitter misogynists, racists that think that the Japanese are some kind of super-race, and freaks who want to become Japanese almost made me learn Spanish instead.

Why do you think that Japanese culture attracts the attention of so many social retards, nerds, pedophiles, NEETs, and freaks in general?

Crani 01-20-2009 10:41 PM

Most of the things that come out of japan are weird (those weird batsu games, loliconism, most animes, weird movies, etc...), so it is bond to attract weirdoes.

Keaton421 01-20-2009 10:42 PM

This is the question to end all questions...

Not only does Japan attract the freaks and weirdos, but it attracts an obsessive, religious following. I've never seen that kind of following for any other country. Mostly because "fans" of other countries are smarter and more realistic than otaku.

CarleyGee 01-20-2009 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sitron (Post 667030)
I just started learning Japanese and frequent Japanese boards like /jp/ on 4chan.org - what I've noticed is that unlike France or Germany, Japanese culture attract really, really weird foreign people.
Don't mistake me, I love Japanese culture. But all the pedophiles, cartoon nerds, lonely bitter misogynists, racists that think that the Japanese are some kind of super-race, and freaks who want to become Japanese almost made me learn Spanish instead.

Why do you think that Japanese culture attracts the attention of so many social retards, nerds, pedophiles, NEETs, and freaks in general?

Probably the love of hentai or manga, or how most Japanese girls
are small-framed (aka attracts pedophiles) but with what you're
talking about, I haven't noticed it so much myself.

Maybe because of how a lot of the culture is very childish
(hello kitty, comics, doll like clothes) that would attract some
questionable people.

Though I would hate to say that other country's don't have
just as much as a problem, though it is likely.

LinnyLo 01-20-2009 10:49 PM

Haha, I always feel bad for the Japanese exchange students that come to my school. Do people really think they want to talk about Naruto? "But it's so KAWAIIIIII!!!" Moments like that make me want to hide my face.

ante 01-20-2009 10:53 PM

It's i modern, but very different from other cultures. That's why it's easy to access, and attracts people who want something different.

My 2 cents.

Keaton421 01-20-2009 11:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ante (Post 667049)
It's i modern, but very different from other cultures. That's why it's easy to access, and attracts people who want something different.

My 2 cents.

How is it more different than Germany, Brazil, India and Zimbabwe?

This is all I ever hear: "Japan is soooo different". How?

CarleyGee 01-20-2009 11:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keaton421 (Post 667057)
How is it more different than Germany, Brazil, India and Zimbabwe?

This is all I ever hear: "Japan is soooo different". How?

It's more colorful.
That's all I see, depending on where you look.

Japan is just more widely known for being "different".
The other countries just might not being getting as
much as the same publicity as Japan. Though they
probably have just as much weird stuff too.

ante 01-20-2009 11:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keaton421 (Post 667057)
How is it more different than Germany, Brazil, India and Zimbabwe?

This is all I ever hear: "Japan is soooo different". How?

The more different would probably be how modern it is. If we are talking about more classical culture(kimonos, katanas, etc) then I agree that it isn't necessarily more different, but most people are introduced through anime, manga and video games.

I haven't been introduced to any modern, defining culture from Germany, Brazil, India or Zimbabwe. I might just be ignorant.

Keaton421 01-20-2009 11:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CarleyGee (Post 667060)
Japan is just more widely known for being "different".
The other countries just might not being getting as
much as the same publicity as Japan. Though they
probably have just as much weird stuff too.

Because the idiot hacks over at Salon.com write a new article every month about how "different" and "crazy" Japan is. Writing about how Japan is the home of weirdness is a cash cow, because people are stupid enough to believe it

It is no more different or unique than any other country in this world. It's not more colorful.

I have to laugh out loud at someone saying anime and manga is "modern, defining culture". They're cartoons, people.

If you ask me, the weirdest and most different thing about Japan is its hilarious followers and defenders. There is truly nothing else like it in the world.


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:32 AM.

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.0.0 RC6