JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
biginjapan (Offline)
JF Regular

Worst day of my life =( - 01-29-2009, 05:36 AM

Today I found out that I have to get surgery on my back. I have scoliosis and I will be having it corrected this summer. My doctor told me that I probably won't ever be able to do any kind of contact sport again. This really kills me inside because I was aspiring to compete in mixed martial arts someday soon. This basically kills any hope I ever had of accomplishing this goal of mine. Not only that but I will have to postpone my graduation and I will have to move to Japan at a much later date.

Anyone else have similar issues occur?
(#2 (permalink))
Old
OliveJuice (Offline)
New to JF

01-29-2009, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biginjapan View Post
Today I found out that I have to get surgery on my back. I have scoliosis and I will be having it corrected this summer. My doctor told me that I probably won't ever be able to do any kind of contact sport again. This really kills me inside because I was aspiring to compete in mixed martial arts someday soon. This basically kills any hope I ever had of accomplishing this goal of mine. Not only that but I will have to postpone my graduation and I will have to move to Japan at a much later date.

Damn. :/

I'm so sorry to hear that. I'm a dancer, I don't make a living from it or anything, but I'm pretty serious about it. I screwed my leg up in ballet a couple years back, and to this day it still doesn't feel quite right (shame on me for never going to the doctor, I know.) But I know what it feels like, to know what you have inside of you, but your body holds your dreams hostage.

Doctors don't always know it all, and they're proven wrong EEEEVERY day. I don't know if it's a precautionary measure for you to step back from martial arts, or if your doctor thinks that your physical ability will be lessened. And I don't want to encourage you to keep going if it means that all it would take is for someone to bump into you too hard for you to be paralyzed for life. But if it's a situation of you having to re-train your body after the healing process is complete, then I say damn the torpedoes and go for it. Even if you have to train twice as hard as the next guy.

I've seen people with no legs running around race tracks on prosthetic legs; that person should have been confined to a wheelchair for the rest of their life but here they are running at full stride. I say to talk to a few more doctors (if you haven't already) and find out if it will be possible for you to continue after the surgery. Even if it's improbable, as long as it's not impossible, there's always a chance of you getting back in the game.

In the meantime, I wish you a full and speedy recovery.

Love more. Hate less.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Ronin4hire (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

01-29-2009, 07:30 AM

Quote:

Can you still do other martial arts? Tai Chi, Aikido etc.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Sinestra (Offline)
ショ ン

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
01-29-2009, 02:57 PM

Sorry to hear that man that sucks. But i will tell you a friend of mine went through a similar expereince and doctors basically told him the same thing. But through a lot off hard work and rehabilitation and just sheer determination he proved the doctors wrong and he is still playing football granted he has to take percautions but doctors are not always right.

Like Ronin4hire stated there are other martial arts you could partake in. Dont let this get you so down that you dont explorer other options. Once you have it in your mind you cant do something you wont.

Hang in there my friend just focus on the surgery for now and rehabilitating afterwards.

(#5 (permalink))
Old
TalnSG (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Send a message via ICQ to TalnSG
01-29-2009, 03:07 PM

Quote:

My best friend in grade school had this done eventually. Back in the 60's this was a far less successful procedure. She gave up basketball - the only sport she liked - because of the risk of reinjury, but in her case it was well worth it since she had live in a full brace for most of her life till then.

Like most people, when something you love gets ripped out of your life, she found plenty of other things to replace it. You will too, as long as you don't focus solely on what you can't do.

Only an open mind and open heart can be filled with life.
Find your voice; silence will not protect you.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
magicalgirlj (Offline)
moetaku

01-30-2009, 12:00 AM

Quote:

hey I had that same surgery, turst me it improved my life, and you will recover. I am sure you wont have to give it up.

avatar- Kamio Misuzu from Air tv
please buy anime DVD's and manga
(#7 (permalink))
Old
pumpum (Offline)
JF Old Timer

01-30-2009, 09:37 AM

dude if ur doctor has told you that surgery is absolutely necessary ( i dont know what scoliosis is) then it must be a hazard to your whole life. Thats whats really important your WHOLE life, i know it may still suck but at least u get to live - which is worth far more than anything else no ?

The things that come to those who wait are the things that are left by those who got there first !
(#8 (permalink))
Old
bELyVIS (Offline)
JF Old Timer

01-30-2009, 01:52 PM

Something good always comes out of something bad. It is difficult to think this way at this point because you are worried about your future. Focus on what you want (like living in Japan) and you can make anything happen.

The World's only Belly Dancing Elvis Impersonator!
(#9 (permalink))
Old
magicalgirlj (Offline)
moetaku

01-30-2009, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pumpum View Post
dude if ur doctor has told you that surgery is absolutely necessary ( i dont know what scoliosis is) then it must be a hazard to your whole life. Thats whats really important your WHOLE life, i know it may still suck but at least u get to live - which is worth far more than anything else no ?
what you said is absoltly right, turst me this is surgery will be good for you

avatar- Kamio Misuzu from Air tv
please buy anime DVD's and manga