JapanForum.com

JapanForum.com (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/)
-   General Discussion (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/general-discussion/)
-   -   What kind of Math do you need to be a Computer Engineer?. (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/general-discussion/22690-what-kind-math-do-you-need-computer-engineer.html)

HiroKazu 01-24-2009 08:56 PM

What kind of Math do you need to be a Computer Engineer?.

Hi, Its me LOL! Who? Kazu that *******
ok I just looking for information I want to be a computer a computer engineer and Im bad at math xD (I HATE MATH) Im frustrated from my 6th grade with math I had a teacher he liked to give 10 pages of home work to the next day. He liked to do that every day and he didn't explain all. LOL! so Do what kind of math do I need to be a computer engineer?

FreddyLea 01-24-2009 09:34 PM

well you would need to be a little more specific then 'computer engineer' ....

i am in the IT field .. a Network Admin, i also do repairs and installs .. and i use very little math ...

ivi0nk3y 01-25-2009 04:16 AM

Normal computer operations are mostly covered by Advanced Statistics mixed with some Pure Maths such as Algebraic Logic.
Then there is also other advanced stuff like Formal Methods, or "Predicate Calculus", used to make interpretations of a certain system. The idea is that you make a layout of a certain system using a symbolic language such as Zed.

It all depends on what path in Computing you wish to travel. Normal IT will never get this complicated. However if you wish to do anything like Software Engineering, skills with logic, (which are only acquired indirectly through Maths) are a necessity.

mrnicekid 01-25-2009 07:59 AM

If you want to become ANY engineer, MATH is a subject that you cannot omit from the college syllabus, even if the real job didn't require an advanced knowledge of math.

so even if you don't like math, you just have to deal with it during your studies in college. but to be realistic here, of course you're going to need some math especially if you're in the R&D, Quality Control etc.

for the specific subject, the name might be different in your own country, but i guess calculus, probability & statistics and pure math are pretty important subjects as a collage student doing engineering.

Nyororin 01-25-2009 08:58 AM

For the actual work? Not much at all.
To get the degree? Quite a lot.

In the end, you just need to know and understand the basic concepts. You can forget most of the actual formulae, etc. But you will need to cover them and make it through the classes in order to get the credit you need for graduation. Specifically *what* will change based on exactly what it is you`re aiming for.

HiroKazu 01-25-2009 04:47 PM

I Want to be a COmputer Engineer on Softwares

ivi0nk3y 01-25-2009 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HiroKazu (Post 669129)
I Want to be a COmputer Engineer on Softwares

Well I already told you what you need for that more than anything. :cool:

jewelpre 01-25-2009 05:48 PM

I am a computer engineer and we don't need too much of mathematics like in school. I hope you will keep up with your motivation.:)

HiroKazu 01-27-2009 04:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jewelpre (Post 669151)
I am a computer engineer and we don't need too much of mathematics like in school. I hope you will keep up with your motivation.:)

Thank You LOL!

mrnicekid 01-27-2009 05:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jewelpre (Post 669151)

yap. engineering courses has a lot of math, but when one actually becomes a certain engineer, the usage of math is not that heavy.

math is important in order to graduate. but sometimes maybe not so in certain engineer's line of work.