JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
iPhantom (Offline)
is a pretty cool guy

Send a message via AIM to iPhantom Send a message via MSN to iPhantom Send a message via Skype™ to iPhantom
Cheap Good Electric Guitars - 02-12-2009, 05:34 PM

I'm looking for some cheap electric guitars, possibly around 200$ but can go to 300$ as well.

I've checked for around a month, and I got these:

Epiphone Les Paul Special 2 - http://czakmusic.pl/foto_allegro/sp2eb_1.jpg

Squirer Stratocaster - http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...ratocaster.jpg

Yamaha Pacifica - http://namm.harmony-central.com/WNAM...-red-large.jpg

The 3 of them have different color sets, I would get the black color, the pictures are just for reference.

The 2 last ones look alike because both are based by the original Fender Stratocaster.

Epiphone is based on Gibson Les Paul guitar and is owned by Gibson itself.
Squirer is owned by Fender itself as well.

I need a suggestion which to get because I've had various people picking only by their look, name popularity (Les Paul, but the popular Les Pauls are Gibson ones, not Epiphones) etc. I need to know which is better.

Of course for the kind of hard rock songs, metal and such.

Quote:
Since when is it immature to talk about pudding? Seriously, do you know the meaning of mature?
(#2 (permalink))
Old
reptilesandsamurai (Offline)
JF Old Timer

02-12-2009, 08:10 PM

I would suggest going to a music store, if there is one in your area, and playing each one. The color and how it looks doesn't matter as much as how it sounds and feels when you play it.

Reptiles have silly grins
Dark eyes--shiny teeth--some have fins
Samurai they smile never
Serious--pretty swords--very clever
(#3 (permalink))
Old
allie2590 (Offline)
I am the White Testament

02-12-2009, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reptilesandsamurai View Post
I would suggest going to a music store, if there is one in your area, and playing each one. The color and how it looks doesn't matter as much as how it sounds and feels when you play it.
I agree. You can't just pick one based on looks. A guitar is meant to play music in the first place, right?
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Crani (Offline)
Sillyassauros

Send a message via MSN to Crani
02-12-2009, 09:10 PM

The Yamaha seems to be highly recomend for begginers, the Epiphones also sound nice and the Squier is ok for a first guitar. But look the Dean Vendetta XM up, a really good guitar for a cheap price.
Dean Vendetta XM Electric Guitar and more Solid Body Electric Guitars at GuitarCenter.com.

Natural Born Headbanger
\m/

TAG Game
Score: Crani:51
(#5 (permalink))
Old
iPhantom (Offline)
is a pretty cool guy

Send a message via AIM to iPhantom Send a message via MSN to iPhantom Send a message via Skype™ to iPhantom
02-12-2009, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crani View Post
The Yamaha seems to be highly recomend for begginers, the Epiphones also sound nice and the Squier is ok for a first guitar. But look the Dean Vendetta XM up, a really good guitar for a cheap price.
Dean Vendetta XM Electric Guitar and more Solid Body Electric Guitars at GuitarCenter.com.
Oh thanks, that's a nice one. And thanks for that site, I liked some from there, like the Ibanez. I'll definitely check out in the store by myself but I wanted to have some overall knowledge of who is good and bad.

Quote:
Since when is it immature to talk about pudding? Seriously, do you know the meaning of mature?
(#6 (permalink))
Old
Nightmare (Offline)
ナイトメア

Send a message via MSN to Nightmare
02-15-2009, 06:59 AM

Check out Dean guitars! pretty cheap and nice

Maybe a Dean ML or a ZX

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(#7 (permalink))
Old
Benny (Offline)
New to JF

02-15-2009, 07:30 AM

Hi mate,

I'm a pretty experienced muso...

The first rule about music gear is simple - you get what you pay for.

I wouldn't bother trying out all the different cheapie guitars out there, you really are wasting your time. Honestly, all this "try each and every brand out to make sure you like it" thing is for actual musicians buying expensive gear, not beginners. I mean, how can you really test a guitar when you can't play much?

That's like going car shopping when you don't know how to drive!!

See how silly it sounds?

It will take you years to develop an ear sensitive enough to truly differentiate the tonal qualities of each instrument anyway.

For a beginner I always reccomend a strat shaped guitar.

It has a slimmer neck which is easier to play. Gibsons have a thicker neck and are less versatile - another reason why you should get a strat for your first guitar - you'll want to experiment over a range of styles as you learn.

And here's another tip - don't spend "a little extra" on your first guitar.

I'm being completely honest, just buy the cheapest thing you can find.

After a year or two you WILL want to buy a $2,000 guitar either way and your first guitar becomes redundant. There is basically no difference between a $200 guitar and a $300 guitar, for lack of a better term - they're both crap.

Think about it like you would a car.

What's the difference between a 1980 Honda and a 1981 Honda??

Is it worth paying an extra 30% to get the 1981 model? Essentially, they're both crap cars anyway, and you'll probably be getting a Holden 2009 in a couple of years (providing you can learn how to drive).
(#8 (permalink))
Old
iPhantom (Offline)
is a pretty cool guy

02-15-2009, 12:33 PM

Thanks, I guess the Yamaha Pacifica is a good deal. Most people say it's the best deal and has a great tone.

But you also need to try a guitar... how it feels in your hand, it's not just the tone.

Thanks for the suggestion anyway.

Quote:
(#9 (permalink))
Old
Firu (Offline)
zero,can you move?

Send a message via MSN to Firu
02-15-2009, 12:40 PM

The springs in the tremelo on the Squier Stratocaster tend to wear out really quickly and once that happens the thing will constantly slip out of tune,if you're gonna go for a Squier i would suggest getting a Telecaster they're about the same price but are of a much better build quality
(#10 (permalink))
Old
iPhantom (Offline)
is a pretty cool guy

02-15-2009, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firu View Post
The springs in the tremelo on the Squier Stratocaster tend to wear out really quickly and once that happens the thing will constantly slip out of tune,if you're gonna go for a Squier i would suggest getting a Telecaster they're about the same price but are of a much better build quality
How about buying new strings? I am thinking about Yamaha Pacifica... but do you know any good additional strings to buy?

Quote: