JapanForum.com

JapanForum.com (https://www.japanforum.com/forum/)
-   General Discussion (https://www.japanforum.com/forum/general-discussion/)
-   -   Little Tokyo (https://www.japanforum.com/forum/general-discussion/23280-little-tokyo.html)

burkhartdesu 02-18-2009 10:14 PM

Little Tokyo

Has anyone been to Little Tokyo in California? It has a higher concentration of Japanese just in the small area than the whole US combined.

I went there a few years ago (before I went to Japan) and although I'm not sure how similar to Tokyo it is, it is pretty interesting

Are there any other "Little Tokyo" or "Little Japan" in the US, or any other country?

survivingonrice 02-18-2009 10:15 PM

not little tokyo, but on saturday im going to japantown in san fransisco..have u been there?

burkhartdesu 02-18-2009 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by survivingonrice (Post 676623)
not little tokyo, but on saturday im going to japantown in san fransisco..have u been there?

No I haven't, but considering it's San Fransisco (rather than L.A. like Little Tokyo) I bet it's pretty awesome.

I've only been to San Fran once and it was during an 8 hour lay-over ironically on the way home from Japan... it was uh... colorful, to say the least.

Let me know what it's like!

alexlovesrock 02-19-2009 01:08 AM

went to china town here in chicago but they dont have tokyotown... they do have a japanese shopping mall though, which is awesome

WARE WARE NO NIHON NO MONO WA DOKO DESUKAAA

Polar 02-19-2009 05:54 AM

I went to it in LA when I was covering E3 in '06

Rather enjoyed it.

We don't really have the same thing up in Canada, it's all Chinatowns

StangGuy 02-19-2009 06:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by survivingonrice (Post 676623)

I visited San Francisco and Nihon-machi in December of '07. Needless to say I was dissapointed. Food was authentic but the area didn't have any of the feeling of Japan. And unlike chinatown it didn't feel like a distinct area of San Francisco it seemed to just blur into the neighboring areas.

Ryuk999 02-19-2009 06:09 PM

yeh ive been to Little Tokyo in cali
its where i got my shoes before going to japan haha XD
it reminded me so much of tokyo w/ all the japanese stores lol they were so compacted

survivingonrice 02-19-2009 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StangGuy (Post 676836)
I visited San Francisco and Nihon-machi in December of '07. Needless to say I was dissapointed. Food was authentic but the area didn't have any of the feeling of Japan. And unlike chinatown it didn't feel like a distinct area of San Francisco it seemed to just blur into the neighboring areas.

awww don't say that....but were there any stores that u suggest i visit?

YukisUke 02-20-2009 04:12 AM

Here in New York, they have a Chinatown, a Koreatown, and a Little Italy. I think they have a Japantown. Maybe. :confused:

kenmei 02-20-2009 06:32 AM

been there a few times, nothing to fancy...the inside mall is not bad, restaurants are decent but nothing special. there are a few outside shops around, but it's only a few blocks from what i can remember.