JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Ronin4hire (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Japan intends to distance itself from US (politics) - 02-24-2009, 11:15 PM

End is nigh for era of US 'hero worship' says Yukio Hatoyama of Japan - Times Online

Quote:
As Japan lurches towards one of its biggest political upheavals since the war, the opposition party expected to take power by the end of this year has promised to break from decades of unquestioning support for American foreign policy.

The commitment, by a senior leader of the Democratic Party of Japan (DPJ), came as polls confirmed its seemingly unassailable lead over the Liberal Democratic Party (LDP), which has held almost unbroken power for more than half a century. It suggests that historic changes may be in store for Japan as it struggles with a deep recession.

“Japan now needs to make a clear shift from diplomacy that follows the US lead to diplomacy based on multilateral co-operation,” Yukio Hatoyama, the DPJ's secretarygeneral, told a gathering of foreign investors in Tokyo yesterday. “We must view the Asia-Pacific region, where we have increasingly close ties with other countries, as the place where Japan will live as a nation.”

Mr Hatoyama, a founder of the DPJ who would be a senior minister in any future government, said that Japan's postwar military alliance with the US would continue, but predicted “the end of US-led globalism”.

He emphasised the need for political and economic integration with East Asia, especially China, and warned that, under a DPJ government, Japan would be as likely to criticise the US as to support it. He rejected the habit of past LDP governments of “virtually worship[ping] the United States in the belief that everything will be all right if Japan does whatever the United States does.

“I expect to see the world move from the age of US dominance to an age where power is spread across many countries,” he told the CLSA Japan Forum.

The US-Japanese alliance came at the expense of Japan's relations with its near neighbours in Asia, particularly South Korea and China.
I for one think it's about time and makes perfect sense.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
02-25-2009, 12:26 AM

The unfortunate part of their thinking is that Japan should be placed *under* China and Korea - which is why it`s hard for them to really have any of their ideas put into action.
I, and pretty much everyone I know well enough to talk politics with, feels that while breaking away from imitating the US is a good thing - Leaping straight from US worship to 特定アジア (China, South Korea) worship is not. So there is a bit of anxiety when it comes to what will happen if they`re in power... They`ve been known very strongly in the past to criticize the US, while at the same time forgiving anything and everything done by the neighbors... Even in the most idiotic ways - like suggesting that maybe Japan should adopt Korean as it`s new language, or that Japan should be become a part of China...

If people weren`t so paranoid about the economy at this point and blaming it on the current government (where the fault does not really fall), attitudes would be much different in my opinion.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
kirakira (Offline)
己所不欲勿施於人

02-25-2009, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyororin View Post
If people weren`t so paranoid about the economy at this point and blaming it on the current government (where the fault does not really fall), attitudes would be much different in my opinion.
Paranoid about economy? Well with Japan's economy plunging double figures, and unemployement skyrocketing, sitting on your bum and pretending everything is honky dory is not going to fly.

In fact, yesterday, there were 2 special reports on Japanese TV about how over 400,000 派遣社員 was cut since economy went south.

I think Japan's move is more driven towards economics. Past 20 years of following America has gotten them absolutely nowhere and with China's economic rise, it has also greaty benefited Japan as well so guess who she is going to try to please (more).

It's all about the money.

But I don't think its about submitting to China/Korea's demands though. That's simplifying it too much.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
cridgit001 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Send a message via AIM to cridgit001
02-25-2009, 12:43 AM

My economics teacher showed us a video about how China has boomed so much. Imagine the US and Japan cutting their way through the jungle of economic growth, they are in the head of the pack but are moving slowly because of having to chop their way through everything be it new technologies and what-not. China on the other hand was way behind US and Japan but since they(US & Japan) have already cut out the path be it technology or infrastructure wise, they can now plunge head on and run in their economy while it "seems" that the US and Japan are merely clawing their way through. So of course they are going to have "booming" economy, look at the standard of living between the 3 countries, US and Japan being about the same while China is far below. Lastly, I think Japan would be doing itself a disservice trying to ally so close with its communist neighbor. Seems like China's people are suffering more than their government wants to let on.

Last edited by cridgit001 : 02-25-2009 at 12:51 AM.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
02-25-2009, 12:50 AM

I didn`t say the paranoia was unfounded - I just said the blame didn`t necessarily fall with the current administration. It`s a worldwide problem, not one limited to Japan and the US.
China isn`t exactly in great shape itself - it seems they peaked with the olympics and have been heading downhill in every way since. I`ve seen 3 programs in the past 2 weeks about how incredible the situation is there - with factories closing left and right, whole towns being abandoned, etc.

To me, switching from US worship to China worship is leaping from the frying pan into the fire. There is no big advantage as long as you`re being burnt. Something needs to change, I agree, but I don`t agree that this is the best path to take. Especially when China is calling for Japan to make huge tribute... *cough* Oops, I meant financial aid contributions *cough* when Japan is in absolutely no economic shape to do so.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
Sinestra (Offline)
ショ ン

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
02-25-2009, 12:55 AM

Whatever happens Japan has to think about whats good for Japan and its citizens as well as any other country including the US. I dont think this is a decision thats going to come swiftly and without much discussion. I think a lot of politicians along with citizens are confused everywhere. Right after i read that article i read another one stating that Japan was nervous about China and the US having even closer ties. Then the next article was about millions of students graduating in China this year to compete with millions of students last year that still dont have jobs. An job fair of 200,000 thousand jobs for about 2 million students from last year and 6 million this year.

The economic free fall is reason enough for people to panic. When you lose your job your not concered about whose following who all you want to know is how your particular government is going to fix it.

Iv had some political discussions with so many people lately that even my head hurts. The only conclusion we can to was an indvidual person is fairly smart and willing to listen a group of people are paranoid panicky animals that will lash out at the first ripe target that comes along to appease their anger.

honestly whatever Japan decides to do has to be in their best interest but i dont think jumping in Korea/China camp is the best course of action in the long run not say staying with the US is any better who the hell knows.

Nyororin made a pretty good comment which i happen to agree with and have said the same thing so many times its not worth saying anymore

Nyororin "If people weren`t so paranoid about the economy at this point and blaming it on the current government (where the fault does not really fall), attitudes would be much different in my opinion."

(#7 (permalink))
Old
kirakira (Offline)
己所不欲勿施於人

02-25-2009, 01:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cridgit001 View Post
Lastly, I think Japan would be doing itself a disservice trying to ally so close with its communist neighbor. Seems like China's people are suffering more than their government wants to let on.
It's pretty clear ignorance is sky high when it comes to the Chinese government and I can say with 100% certainty you have not been to China (or Japan for that matter. Go check out the economic carniage at 霞ヶ関 in Tokyo). Anyone with an inkling about how the place runs would know that the Central government right now has some of the best economic policies in the world. You don't increase your income 10 folds in 3 decades by persecuting your people, trust me.

Last edited by kirakira : 02-25-2009 at 01:06 AM.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
Sangetsu (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

02-25-2009, 01:06 AM

Untrue. Superficially, such policies changes may be enacted, but there will be no substance to them. The reason is mainly cultural. Japan does have ties to Korea and China, but Japan's relationship with America is unique.
First and foremost, this relationship is based upon a respect that began with the arrival of Commodore Perry and his Black Ships, and which was then reaffirmed when Japan was defeated in World War 2, when, once again, American warships arrived in Tokyo.

China and Korea have closer cultural ties to Japan, but their historical relationship is much different. Regardless of what these countries say nowadays, memories of the war still linger, and a sour taste remains. Japan has never been sympathetic to the losses which the Chinese and other Asians endured during the war at Japanese hands, and Japan has never been sympathetic to those whom they defeated, or who surrendered to them.

America is unique in Japanese history as the America is the only country ever to conquer Japan.

Prior to the war, Japan considered their culture to be the most superior in Asia, and likely, the world. Early victories in the war only affirmed their opinion, China suffered repeated defeats, the rest of Southeast Asia was conquered with relative ease, with the European and other imperialists (England, France, Holland, and even America) quickly driven out of their Asian/Pacific colonies.

But this period of victory was brief. America's wartime industrial capacity was staggering, surpassing that of the rest of the world combined. Bombs first fell on Tokyo only 5 months after Pearl Harbor

The end of the war saw life in Japan change dramatically with the Emperor's unconditional surrender. Japan, for all intents and purposes became another American territory. The Japanese could no longer believe that Japan possessed the world's most superior culture, so they embraced the culture of their conquerors.

This unique relationship between Japan and America will not last forever, but it will not die soon. Memories in Asia run much longer and deeper than in other parts of the world. Even now, most Japanese consider America to be a superior country in many ways. And Chinese resentment to Japanese atrocity during the war remains strong. Korea is less animistic, having been conquered many times over the centuries, but Korea is an economic competitor with Japan, vying with other Asian countries for the markets in Europe and Asia.

The current diplo-speak in Japan is mere political rhetoric; politicians love to promise "change" in their campaigns, only to maintain the status quo once they are elected.

Last edited by Sangetsu : 02-25-2009 at 01:23 AM. Reason: please don't double post
(#9 (permalink))
Old
kirakira (Offline)
己所不欲勿施於人

02-25-2009, 01:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sangetsu View Post
I've been to China. You can easily increase your income by that amount by making people work 12 hours a day, and giving them a day off once every 2 or 3 weeks, all while paying a small fraction of what a similar worker in another country would enjoy. Slavery is immensely profitable.
And how is this different from US and UK during industrial revolution?
(#10 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

02-25-2009, 01:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirakira View Post
It's pretty clear ignorance is sky high when it comes to the Chinese government and I can say with 100% certainty you have not been to China (or Japan for that matter. Go check out the economic carniage at 霞ヶ関 in Tokyo). Anyone with an inkling about how the place runs would know that the Central government right now has some of the best economic policies in the world. You don't increase your income 10 folds in 3 decades by persecuting your people, trust me.
But they also have some of the greatest gaps between rich and poor, and the average salary in China is still far below Japan and the US. The policies may be great, but on whose backs are those policies resting?

And you answered my question Sangetsu. Japanese politicians may decide they want to align with China and Korea, but are China and Korea waiting with open arms?