LinkBack Thread Tools
(#221 (permalink))
Old
clintjm (Offline)
JF Old Timer

02-17-2010, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsuwabuki View Post
Four times that I remember trying to. I am not entirely sure I succeeded in all times. The first did occur while I was at my first elementary school, so that was fourth grade or lower. I think it was in third. But yeah, that was a fair amount of time ago.
I'm detecting a little BS here. 18-20 years ago and you can't remember such altercations? Your time line of school is posted on this board. Do you have blackouts every so often?

Quote:
Also, I doubt very much you would remember details about fights that occurred decades before. Human memory, especially childhood memory, isn't that good. You're being provocative just to be provocative.
Apparently yours isn't.
"Decades" should be singular in this case.
No I might not remember the exact blow by blow, but I'd remember the outcome and that it existed.

Quote:

*sigh* One does not need a weapon to be a major threat. Let's take one of those examples, the one that occurred in eighth grade. This individual had picked me up and dropped me on a tiled corridor floor on my chin. I was lucky, and so was he. It merely gave me a scar and chipped a bit of bone. He could have broken my neck. He could have killed me. Whether he was trying to or not, and surely, he wasn't, it doesn't matter. The next time he went for me, I broke his nose. He never attacked me again.

I would argue, as I'm sure would my lawyer, that this individual had a history of cornering me, cutting off escape routes, and engaging in assault and battery that could have lead to permanent damage or death. I was well within my rights to use force in response.
Sure in the case you described here; but that isn't the advice you originally posted: Without a previous physical altercation, with only a perceived approach of threatening manner, take the first swing to prevent an altercation. This may have not been the message you were trying to convey but it came across that way. In addition you also conveyed that this is a working model to solve problems when you are , using your words "approached in a threatening manner".

In that case you just laid out you were NOT taking the first swing as he came at you before the nose incident.

Quote:
Actually, I'm inclined to believe that you are being contrarian for the sake of being contrarian. Regardless, days were already crazy in the mid and late nineties. Remember Columbine? Didn't that happen in 1997 or 1998? I grant you bring up some excellent concerns, concerns I feel must fall by the wayside when you fear for your life.
Fearing for you life is a different matter of course. Your OP on the matter was being approached in a threatening way or being touched negatively.

Quote:
I am not allowed to, and I probably wouldn't consider it my place. The situation has not come up. I have not been privy to much bullying in my classes, and when I see it, I step in.
Those rules are in place for a reason. Giving such advice in an American school would get you fired; I imagine a Japanese school as well. I was pointing out the fact that you represent yourself as an educator in a position of authority in another place, such as JF, with such advice as you originally described in OP, is simply ill-advised.

Quote:
Remember, my own authority figures never punished me, or not much, for acting when I did. I believe that speaks volumes for my decisions on when to fight back. I cannot even say it is something I would teach my own kids, since I do not have any.
I don't believe it does speak volumes. In my school and schools today, such violence was never tolerated, and who threw the first punch was the one that took the rap.

Quote:
This, however, is a forum. Somewhere I should feel free to give my opinion. I believe you must draw a line in the sand at some point. You are free to have your own opinions, but do not disparage me for mine. You've made a few good arguments, there is no need to sprinkle personal attacks in with those points. It merely weakens your credibility. I disagree. And already said so. You and I disagree. Let's move on without character assassinations.
Yes, but when you represent yourself as an educator in this forum, and not an individual, you open a whole different can of worms. The fact that you wouldn't teach this to your own kids, but defend and push it here, is really what speaks volumes.

I simply disagreed with your advice you gave as a rule of thumb with little details in your OP on the subject. Anything personal was the fact you tried to amplify your point by adding how many noses you broke and it working out. That I call BS on.

Yes, we can agree to disagree on the matter of violence as a means of solving a problem a bully problem. Attempted murder, sure defend yourself, but I don't think this type of situation happens more than once by the time someone is in their late 20s unless they live in a very bad place in the world, or they invite the issue in some way.

I agree to disagree on my point violence solves nothing.

Last edited by clintjm : 02-17-2010 at 06:33 PM.
(#222 (permalink))
Old
Tsuwabuki (Offline)
石路 美蔓

02-17-2010, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clintjm View Post
I'm detecting a little BS here. 18-20 years ago and you can't remember such altercations? Your time line of school is posted on this board. Do you have blackouts every so often?
This is what I mean by being provocative just to be provocative. It's entirely uncalled for. I've never blacked out.

Quote:
Apparently yours isn't.
"Decades" should be singular in this case.
No I might not remember the exact blow by blow, but I'd remember the outcome and that it existed.
Yes, my timeline is posted, which says I started school in the late eighties. That was over twenty years ago, as you point our yourself. So, that would mean, at least two decades, plural.

I don't believe your memory would be that good, given that you are not a doctor, and would not have been one as a child, you would not have known if you succeeded in breaking a nose, especially if you did not get punished for it. It may be that I broke the nose in elementary school, I was certainly attempting to. I have no recollection of if I was told that I did or not. I did draw blood. The bully ran away and I never saw him again. I have vague recollections that he either transferred or was kicked out of school, but even this, I admit, could be solely my imagination. Human memory is very frail. I don't believe you are an exception, unless you are one of the rare individuals with photographic memory.

Quote:
Sure in the case you described here; but that isn't the advice you originally posted: Without a previous physical altercation, with only a perceived approach of threatening manner, take the first swing to prevent an altercation. This may have not been the message you were trying to convey but it came across that way. In addition you also conveyed that this is a working model to solve problems when you are , using your words "approached in a threatening manner".
This is an inaccurate summary. As a last resort and with just cause means there are other things you tried to do with this individual, and just cause means that you have a reason to believe you are in imminent danger. Violence is morally and ethically justified in this case, and is often legally justified as well.

I also take great pains to say that it is not an acceptable response to mere taunting. The threat has to be imminent and significant. By all means, talk yourself out of it, walk away if you can, especially if you can do it boldly, dismissing the bully as a waste of your time, but if that bully is known for seriously hurting people, or has a history with you, and moves towards you in a clearly threatening manner, yeah, you take him (or her, some female bullies are equally as violent) out in protection of your own well being. Again, morally, ethically, and legally justified.

Quote:
In that case you just laid out you were NOT taking the first swing as he came at you before the nose incident.
Incorrect. He approached me in a threatening manner days or weeks after the incident described. I did not allow him to get close to me. I believed I was in imminent danger and had just cause to take the first swing. I was not about to wait around for him to corner me, cut off escape routes, and try to harm me again.

Quote:
Fearing for you life is a different matter of course. Your OP on the matter was being approached in a threatening way or being touched negatively.
I was trying to avoid being course or uncouth. Quite bluntly, if you think you are about to have your ass kicked, you kick ass first. Too much can go wrong in an altercation that could lead to serious bodily harm to risk letting the bully do whatever he wants.

Quote:
Those rules are in place for a reason. Giving such advice in an American school would get you fired; I imagine a Japanese school as well. I was pointing out the fact that you represent yourself as an educator in a position of authority in another place, such as JF, with such advice as you originally described in OP, is simply ill-advised.
And what experience do you have working in either of these systems? I choose to abide by many rules I disagree with. If my teachers had stood up for me the way I have stood up for my students in the rare instances I have seen bulllying occur, I may not have needed to defend myself in dire circumstances. The violent students would have been removed and their issues would have been dealt with.

That I even had to defend myself says more about a system that failed to protect me than it does about the morality of my behavior.

This is besides the point. When the system will not protect you, you have a right to protect yourself. I would say that to a student, using those exact words, and would not fear being fired for it. I would not tell them to punch someone in the nose. That's just how I protect myself. Mileage may vary.

Quote:
I don't believe it does speak volumes. In my school and schools today, such violence was never tolerated, and who threw the first punch was the one that took the rap.
I'm very much glad I never went to, nor taught at, your schools. Defending yourself when you believe you are in imminent danger is a right. I would never be party to punishing someone who acted in self-defense. You wouldn't need to fire me; I'd quit.

Quote:
Yes, but when you represent yourself as an educator in this forum, and not an individual, you open a whole different can of worms. The fact that you wouldn't teach this to your own kids, but defend and push it here, is really what speaks volumes.
*sigh* I should have known you'd find someway to use that against me, despite the fact that I only brought it up to head off the "You don't even have kids, so your views will change when you are a parent" criticism. I should have known there'd be some other response, regardless.

I said I don't know if I would, what I didn't say is that I think I would. I never said I wouldn't. You are putting words in my mouth again. I might well tell me own children that violence in self-defense is acceptable. Since I don't have children, I cannot say I definitely would. I merely think I would. I know what my feelings are on the matter are, and that's that I'd much rather my child get suspended for defending him or herself than have a child come home with an injury or worse.

Quote:
I simply disagreed with your advice you gave as a rule of thumb with little details in your OP on the subject. Anything personal was the fact you tried to amplify your point by adding how many noses you broke and it working out. That I call BS on.
This is not accurate. You distorted my views, ignored parts of my own post you actually quoted, and chose to pursue inconsequential details in a way that would suggest that my views are not only something you disagree with, but caused by mental defect. If I am not mistaken, you have also repeatedly questioned, at least implicitly, my fitness to be an educator.

It is my belief, given your posting history, that you are, in fact, being intentionally contrarian, and I have a hard time deciphering what you truly believe, versus when you just want to disagree with me to be disagreeing with me.

Quote:
Yes, we can agree to disagree on the matter of violence as a means of solving a problem a bully problem. Attempted murder, sure defend yourself, but I don't think this type of situation happens more than once by the time someone is in their late 20s unless they live in a very bad place in the world, or they invite the issue in some way.
Attempted murder implies intent. I would be speaking more to negligent homicide or manslaughter, if we want to get technical. I am not a lawyer, and I doubt very much you are either. Any physical altercation that has intent to harm and causes death is one or the other. Even if death itself is an accident.

Believing yourself to be in such an altercation with the capacity to turn deadly is justification for a use of force. Certainly in response to force, but even preemptively, depending on circumstances. I will not back down on this.

I have lived in both not nice areas and very nice, high income areas. This was in my timeline as well. Your views that possibly lethal situations cannot occur more than once is proven wrong simply by me existence. Unless you are going to further accuse me of deceit and falsehood.

Quote:
I agree to disagree on my point violence solves nothing.
Great. Let's move on. We've said our piece.

<- AnimeMusicVideos.Org

Last edited by Tsuwabuki : 02-17-2010 at 10:37 PM.
(#223 (permalink))
Old
johndo01 (Offline)
New to JF

02-22-2010, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SephirothVVC View Post
my teacher used to make racist comments about it, he made our class watch "flags of our fathers" for no apparent reason, besides my friend and i being his most hated students, he would constantly make rude comments about it, things that should have gotten him fired but the whole school system is corrupted
there's stupide people all around the world and we have to live with them and keep trying to educate them(way of talking) because I do not care about them lol
when I was living in Canada people were saying why don't you choose a girl from here instead of taking her over there, my answer was simple ( I love her and she is more than you'll ever be or wil become) just to make them a little angry lol I love Japan since I have been a kid, it started with anime and grew bigger with "shogun" then I've been able to read about Japan and met my gf and finaly went to Japan and also fell in love with the country, wish I could have been able to study Japanese language more but have been interupted so many times that I have to restart learning from the beginning everytime :s but still want to learn it ;p

by the way don't bother with that kind people just do what you feel is ok for yourself, if your teacher is that stupide he shouldn't teach at all. by the way you should watch the other part of "flags of our father" "Letters from Iwo jima" also by Clint Eastwood very good movie.
and make your teacher watching it too lol
(#224 (permalink))
Old
xAliceNine56x (Offline)
New to JF

03-12-2010, 11:57 AM

Yes I get picked on. My friends say I'm born in the wrong country when talk about Japanese things (language, bands, anime, etc.), and start calling me wanbe Japanese.
(#225 (permalink))
Old
KumaDono (Offline)
New to JF

03-12-2010, 05:31 PM

I have.. but its worth it!!
Mere words can't & won't phase me!!

The Indestructible Warrior!!
(#226 (permalink))
Old
Oni (Offline)
<3

Send a message via AIM to Oni Send a message via Yahoo to Oni
03-13-2010, 09:24 AM

I have. They even say I'm asian because I have tan skin all year round and my eyes are slightly slanted. (I'm more than half native american, we can have dark skin, dark hair and slanted eyes)

Even my friends make fun of me (well, we make fun of eachother cuz they want to learn Japanese and like Japanese music/ tv/ anime). We're all pretty much isolated from all of the other groups though, even though we're in a diverse college

A Sonozaki at her finest (links may be spoilers):

http://higurashiualuealuealeuale.ytmnd.com/
http://higurashicowbell.ytmnd.com/

Aishite mo ii kai?
(#227 (permalink))
Old
KumaDono (Offline)
New to JF

03-13-2010, 07:49 PM

[quote=Oni;803878](I'm more than half native american, we can have dark skin, dark hair and slanted eyes)
QUOTE]

Im also more than half Native American.. Osage Tribe.. nice to hear a fellow native on the board!!

The Indestructible Warrior!!
(#228 (permalink))
Old
HungryForRamen (Offline)
I LOOOOOOOVE THEM GINGERS

03-13-2010, 08:22 PM

My friends and people I meet who I mention Japan to do tend to make fun of me or not understand, and some even call me "wannabe Japanese" (To which I reply, "I'm the Caucasian Asian!" because I love Japan and to my knowledge, I don't have any Asian in my bloodline, which is unfortunate xD) or that it's a phase and it'll pass.