JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Joony (Offline)
New to JF

Working as a Flash developer in Japan - 03-19-2009, 10:21 PM

Hi,
I'm looking to move to Japan for a year or so to work. I'm a Flash developer, and was wondering what the jobs were like in Japan? Are there any for a Flash developer, if so, what are they like? Any information would be a help. Where to look, who to speak to, what would be required of me to live in Japan.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
SHAD0W (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

03-20-2009, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joony View Post
Hi,
I'm looking to move to Japan for a year or so to work. I'm a Flash developer, and was wondering what the jobs were like in Japan? Are there any for a Flash developer, if so, what are they like? Any information would be a help. Where to look, who to speak to, what would be required of me to live in Japan.
Do you really have to move to japan to be a flash developer? Can't you just work for japanese companies?

Can you speak the language? I wouldn't recommend packing your bags and leaving this time next year if you know nothing now..

I'm sorry for all the bad stuff I said and all the feelings I hurt.. Please forgive me
(#3 (permalink))
Old
aznzishu (Offline)
JF Regular

Send a message via AIM to aznzishu Send a message via MSN to aznzishu Send a message via Yahoo to aznzishu Send a message via Skype™ to aznzishu
03-20-2009, 04:22 AM

yeah uhh i'd have to agree with SHADOW guy, the economy is in a bad shape, and its best to stay in an area that you know very well right now and well established
using flash means you will be on your computer, and that means it is possible to work from home or even find a japanese company in your country to work for, exactly what area of flash will matter as well
as for me i'm looking for animation producers, however as the economy is, everyone seems to be put on hold

Team Xerguelras all da wayz!~
(#4 (permalink))
Old
komitsuki (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

03-20-2009, 07:00 AM

Joony, start your career small first... then upgrade it.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
Joony (Offline)
New to JF

03-20-2009, 10:21 AM

Thanks for your input, but SHAD0W, what would you recommend I do know before considering making the move? That's why I asked. I know you don't just move somewhere without knowing anything. I've lived and worked in many cities in Europe. I'm currently living in Scandinavia.

aznzishu, most of the companies I've worked for have preferred to have developers in-house, even freelancers.

komitsuki, is Japan such an "upgrade?"
(#6 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
03-20-2009, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joony View Post
aznzishu, most of the companies I've worked for have preferred to have developers in-house, even freelancers.
In general, Japan also prefers to have developers in house. I can`t say that most places are too friendly toward working from home, let alone working from abroad.

The biggest issue I think you`ll encounter in attempting to work in Japan is language. Japanese companies work in Japanese. Unless you work with a foreign company that just happens to have an office in Japan (and possibly even then, if the office language is Japanese), you`re going to have a LOT of trouble finding somewhere open to working with someone in another language. Teams do not favor working with someone when there are communication issues, a problem you would hit head on if you don`t speak Japanese as most Japanese do not speak English.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.