PC 91 74.59%
Voters: 122. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#71 (permalink))
Old
godwine (Offline)
自爆十秒前

12-01-2010, 12:42 PM

I think the real question should be windows or Mac, a few years back the hardware was different, but now that Mac went intel, you can have a Mac running windows, does it make it a "pc" then????

I have a mix of both at home, though most (if not all ) of my day to days are done through a Mac. I am typing this message on an iPad now too

MacOS X is far more stable than any flavor of windows, and it's a lot faster than a windows based machine, the kernel is so lightweight that my old G5 runs faster than the i5 they gave me at work. The machine is at least 6 years old....... The one thing I don't like about Mac is the cost of them, but it's like a case of "I am too poor to be cheap". I can pay the money, get a Mac, and it's probably a one shot deal, or I can spend a fraction on a windows based machine and expect to have to pay more to upgrade/repair
(#72 (permalink))
Old
Suki (Offline)
armed with a mind

Send a message via MSN to Suki
12-01-2010, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by godwine View Post
I am typing this message on an iPad now too
...while waiting for my private jet to drop me off in the Swiss Alps for a skiing vacation

How classy.

everything is relative and contradictory ~
(#73 (permalink))
Old
evanny (Offline)
devil's advocate

12-01-2010, 02:18 PM

ipad isn't something to be proud of having...

PC just wins because Macs have major flaws.
1. you can't upgrade mac. if you want to run latest stuff go and get 2000$ and throw old one out.
2. on average you pay 40% more just for brand name.
3. it doesn't have anything. No games (ok recently some like tf2) and only BS software that apple provides - lame tunes etc. thats the reason why almost everyone who wants to do smth with them installs on them win7.
4. mac's can't double-click.

macs are for people who want to show that they have money and that's it. specially when it comes to Mac-books. i have sony vaio and i paid 600 $ less than my friend who bought mcbook and the performance is the same.

if you want something cool and expensive then go with Alienware Computers - Custom-Built Gaming Desktops and Laptops - you'll get a lot better specs for same money + more unique design.
(#74 (permalink))
Old
WingsToDiscovery (Offline)
JF Noob

12-01-2010, 02:27 PM

Mac.

Before coming to Japan, I bought a new PC laptop. Tried installing all of the programs I wanted, and it kept seizing and freezing up on me. Couldn't handle what I wanted.

I went back to the store and bought a MacBook. Everything was fine.

I honestly would have "been a PC" a few months ago, because it's what I grew up with and it's what I know. But the last thing I need is to deal with the problems that come with a PC when I'm already dealing with life over here. It's good to be able to sit down and just know that everything will work the way I want it to. I don't need anything complicated, just a simple and easy work environment.

I'm not a cynic; I just like to play Devil's Advocate once in a while.
My photos from Japan and around the world:
http://www.flickr.com/dylanwphotography
(#75 (permalink))
Old
protheus (Offline)
Arthur et Les Minimoys

Send a message via Yahoo to protheus
12-01-2010, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingsToDiscovery View Post
Before coming to Japan, I bought a new PC laptop. Tried installing all of the programs I wanted, and it kept seizing and freezing up on me. Couldn't handle what I wanted.
I went back to the store and bought a MacBook. Everything was fine.
So, you installed all the programs you wanted on the OS X ?

Anyway, I'm opting for PC, just because Linux exists, and it's even more stable than OS X. The oldest PC I installed and still works without trouble, as a small server for a library, has a Linux based OS, and it's running now in the 6'th year without software change, just updates to some modules on it,

Reverse psychology, "dear Watson", reverse psychology.
"Manganese? Is that manga language?" - lol?
(#76 (permalink))
Old
godwine (Offline)
自爆十秒前

12-01-2010, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evanny View Post
ipad isn't something to be proud of having...

PC just wins because Macs have major flaws.
1. you can't upgrade mac. if you want to run latest stuff go and get 2000$ and throw old one out.
2. on average you pay 40% more just for brand name.
3. it doesn't have anything. No games (ok recently some like tf2) and only BS software that apple provides - lame tunes etc. thats the reason why almost everyone who wants to do smth with them installs on them win7.
4. mac's can't double-click.

macs are for people who want to show that they have money and that's it. specially when it comes to Mac-books. i have sony vaio and i paid 600 $ less than my friend who bought mcbook and the performance is the same.

if you want something cool and expensive then go with Alienware Computers - Custom-Built Gaming Desktops and Laptops - you'll get a lot better specs for same money + more unique design.
I am not particularly "proud" of being a ipad owner, i am never proud of materials I own. The iPad is convenient, i know its just an oversized ipod, but thats the reason why i got it, the screen size...... and its easy to wake an ipad and you get your network connection right away...

Rich? far from it, i just decide to spend the extra money to buy convenience

Mac Can't double click? You obviously never used a mac before

How did you measure the performance of the vaio vs the MBP? What software? What kind of profiling test did you do? Were you comparing to a G4? What kind of performance test? Response time? Utilization? Load/Volume?

Yes you can upgrade a Mac. iMacs and Mac Minis is not the only line up. There are the MacPros too that is highly customizable. On a side note, I recently upgraded both the iMac and my MacBook Pro...... so i am not sure what you consider as an "upgrade". Its true, there are limitation as to how far you can go with an upgrade, but Windows base machine has that issue too, motherboards have limitation of what is the maximum amount of RAM that can be installed, but of course, the limitation is not as harsh/narrorw as the mac....

Games... well, no debate that Mac has really poor support for games, so kudos to Windows for that. but Macs do have a lot of good apps for photo processing, which i also use on almost a daily basis. Macs are extremely powerful, I do a lot of development work on it.

When I was using a Windows based machine, there are times when I go "Darn i wish I have a mac to do this", with the Mac, there was not a single time when i said "Where is Windows"...

You may want to do more research...

Last edited by godwine : 12-01-2010 at 04:02 PM.
(#77 (permalink))
Old
godwine (Offline)
自爆十秒前

12-01-2010, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by protheus View Post
So, you installed all the programs you wanted on the OS X ?

Anyway, I'm opting for PC, just because Linux exists, and it's even more stable than OS X. The oldest PC I installed and still works without trouble, as a small server for a library, has a Linux based OS, and it's running now in the 6'th year without software change, just updates to some modules on it,
Again.... a Mac can have Linux running via bootcamp or Parallel... they are all PC.. the last I check, PC stands for "Personal Computer"... Windows based machine and Macs now uses similar hardware, and OS X can easily run Linux or Windows... ...

Here is a piece of more technical information. Most peripherals and devices on the mac uses TRUE and REAL hardware accelerator, so it doesn't have craps like windriver, which add an extra layer of overhead on the CPU.
(#78 (permalink))
Old
evanny (Offline)
devil's advocate

12-01-2010, 04:33 PM

that double click was for those original mouses that came with mac desktops.

we compared specs and some fps readings . the result was close to even. he had higher freq. ram on him but that doesn't change anything - just gives you more room for messing with over clock. as far as cores go his i3 isn't far from my duo.
so. difference wasn't 600$ worth

MB limitations? its def to have 4 ram slots on mb. so you go and get four 8 gb modules and here you go - 36 gb or ram. now you can buy mb that also support 2 processors - add two of i9 extreme and you'll be running all the stuff that comes out in next 10 years
thou it might be more expensive than mac at that point...
(#79 (permalink))
Old
godwine (Offline)
自爆十秒前

12-01-2010, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evanny View Post
that double click was for those original mouses that came with mac desktops.

we compared specs and some fps readings . the result was close to even. he had higher freq. ram on him but that doesn't change anything - just gives you more room for messing with over clock. as far as cores go his i3 isn't far from my duo.
so. difference wasn't 600$ worth

MB limitations? its def to have 4 ram slots on mb. so you go and get four 8 gb modules and here you go - 36 gb or ram. now you can buy mb that also support 2 processors - add two of i9 extreme and you'll be running all the stuff that comes out in next 10 years
thou it might be more expensive than mac at that point...
I am not going to get into the debate with the upgrade. I mean, you said it yourself, there is a limitation, and its not as harsh as MAC, but a limitation nevertheless

You can't compare it base on FPS. API support is different, and FPS is highly dependent on the GPU. Higher speed ram does virtually nothing in this case. Proper performance profiling needs to be done to truly compare performance. Then there is also profiling test around CPU and memory utilization for specific apps, in which case, architectural design of the hardware plays a big role. The fact that the southbridge is talking to real hardware on the MAC will make a huge difference as it reduces CPU cycles from talking to the driver

You are talking about the old unibody macs from Apple II era....