LinkBack Thread Tools
(#211 (permalink))
Old
komitsuki (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

04-12-2009, 05:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin4hire View Post
Perhaps... I'm not clued up on SK domestic politics but I think that there is a difference between non-appeasement and antagonism which the current SK president is apparently guilty of doing to an extent. (I can't see how though)
The current South Korean president is hated by his own people... by the majority.

Quote:
I find it difficult to believe that SK's want to appease their northern neighbour rather they don't want to be antagonistic.
It was originally planned to merge both North Korean government and South Korean government into one before the Korean War... but failed with many circumstances made by USSR and USA.

This is why the South Korean public still wants appleasement: to fulfill some aspects of the merge before the Korean War... This mentality has been the same today.

Last edited by komitsuki : 04-12-2009 at 05:26 AM.
(#212 (permalink))
Old
cridgit001 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Send a message via AIM to cridgit001
04-12-2009, 06:28 PM

I guess for me, history is still burned in my mind as I still see NK as Germany and SK as the Rhineland. But hey, maybe it'll go differently this time. Perhaps Kim Jong Il will finally take his meds and be more concerned about the well fare of his people than his military. Maybe he will finally seek to reunite NK and SK and everything will be honky dory with no radiation. I am not making a mockery of the situation as I do hope for a peaceful solution. But I'll be prepared if everything hits the fan.
(#213 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

04-15-2009, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenchu View Post
North and South are both enemies to each other. Yet, whether you're to enage in conflict or peace, hate will help in niether of those situations.
I wish you started with this statement, Tenchu, rather than ending with it.
(#214 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

04-15-2009, 06:56 AM

Quote:
America wiped 2 cities off the map one time for crimes not very dfferent than what Iran dislikes Israel for. I think it is a double standard based on religon above other things.
That was also over 50 years ago and a very different time in our history.

Quote:

The correct thing to be done for peaces' sake would be an independant power that is without nuclear arms tells both countries to harden the fuck up and disarm the nukes.

But you have to decide what you want, and go for it. Going half way wont do anything at all.

If it is the USA goal to destroy N. Korean nuclear potential then they should do it. First by peace, then by missile if necessary. That could all take place in a matter of weeks.

N. Korea would be let in a few days of missile attacks to decide whether to retaliate, and lose its country (surely it knows it wont win?), or to accept that it just can't have what it wants.

On the other hand, if the USA thinks N. Korean missile power is not such a problem, then it should shut the fuck up about it.
It is hard for me to understand what you are getting at. Try it without profanity.

Quote:
How is pulling your dick out and waving it around going to solve anything, MMM? All I can see now is the US is a large part all talk. Well, George Bush wasn't, but his ego was humbled by the power of muslim fanatics, and he eventually softened up. Now you've voted in an even softer President, how are "rogue" states going to react to him, I wonder?
Ask a Somalian pirate that question.

Quote:
Either way, the more talk that is seen, and the less punishing action (both military and economic), with nothing bein done, once fearful enemies will become more bolder, stronger, and aggressive.
Ask a Somalian pirate that question.

Quote:
Militant organizations like Hamas thrive on time, Obama is giving it to them. I think with long enough time given, they'll eventually become stronger and more united.
Like the Somalian pirates?

Quote:
North and South are both enemies to each other. Yet, whether you're to enage in conflict or peace, hate will help in niether of those situations.
And if they don't shoot missiles into our airspace the situation you describe will not be a problem.
(#215 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

04-15-2009, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Not every copuntry is as advanced as the US is. Just because the US has moved so fast, you may find a lot of the world has been left behind when you step outside the door, MMM.

And if the US didn't send spy drones into everyone elses airspace...
The answer is in the question, Tenchu.
(#216 (permalink))
Old
Ronin4hire (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

04-15-2009, 09:51 AM

Quote:
How so?

If the US back in 1940's was a less advanced country and it can justify the nuke of major cities, then why can a country at the same level of advancment not justify the same thing to a similar enemy?
Because times have changed!!! How are you not able to process that bit of information!

Quote:
Or are you saying the US being advanced has a duty to do something to stop it? I am not so sure how advanced they are, anyway, or perhaps they would not have used chemical weapons on civilians in Falujah so recently.
The anti-nuclear movement is a global one not one driven by US agenda onto Iran... furthermore all the states that signed the nuclear non-proliferation agreement (NPT) have pledged as such including Iran.

It's not just about Iran wanting nukes dipshit. It's about Iran violating it's responsibilities under the NPT. Furthermore the reasons for Iran wanting nukes could invite a pre-emptive strike on them if they fail to cooperate with the IAEA completely or if they decide to withdraw from the treaty.

Quote:
It is all a bit of a mess, really. Catch 22; having faith in the US will also mean you accidently support the will of its enemies.
This comment makes no sense whatsoever.

Last edited by Ronin4hire : 04-15-2009 at 09:54 AM.
(#217 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

04-15-2009, 06:39 PM

Quote:
How so?
If it wasn't for those unmanned drones the captain of that American ship captured by Somalian pirates would be dead now, instead of the pirates that took him.
(#218 (permalink))
Old
alanX (Offline)
The Psychedelic Traveler

Send a message via Skype™ to alanX
04-15-2009, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
If it wasn't for those unmanned drones the captain of that American ship captured by Somalian pirates would be dead now, instead of the pirates that took him.
What ever happened to that captain? Did he ever come back safely? I heard they shot the pirates or something.

猿も木から落ちる
(#219 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

04-15-2009, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanX View Post
What ever happened to that captain? Did he ever come back safely? I heard they shot the pirates or something.
Yes, the pirates were shot by snipers and the captain was rescued.
(#220 (permalink))
Old
solemnclockwork (Offline)
JF Old Timer

04-16-2009, 04:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinestra View Post
Look both komitsuki and Ronin are right. I hate playing devils advocate because I think its cheap but its warranted this time around. But the question comes down to does Kim Jong think he can pick a fight and WIN or will the international community show ever greater patience then it has already shown. Kim Jong is not stupid by any means a fact that has kept him in power this long, and in his mind his military maybe powerful enough to accomplish the goals he sets forth. In reality could his army withstand a combined assault from American, Japanese and S Korean forces i highly doubt it. The civilian casualties on both sides would be heartbreaking.

My belief is that a conflict will not happen. It has been discussed and debated over for years with nothing happening. N. Korea loves attention and Kim Jong knows how to get the world to look his way. I believe western forces know a great deal about his military capabilities do i think the west knows them all know. No country knows every little dirty military secret another country has hidden. The negatives far out weigh the positives to N. Korea picking a fight and imo Kim Jong knows this. Which is why he uses different tactics to gain what he wants from the west. N Korea stance is like that of cobra a cobra opens the folds on its sides and rears up to look more intimidating than it really is and more often than not it works.

I told myself i was not going to get involved in this discussion because certain people are involved but i really wanted to get this out.

"solemnclockwork"its nothing you said i have read your post and i find them rational and well thought out. My professor just thought a lot of the post show immaturity,shallow and narrow views of exactly how the world and the political system works. He says he fears for the future because he thinks most youngins don't have what it takes to lead in the world. He has been a professor for 40 years taught in many countries. I trust him more than i trust anyone when it comes political and world events he has seen a lot and been through a lot. When it comes to life experience and wisdom there is no substitute.

I ask myself have we really made any progress in the past 100 years. At the end of an argument such as this it always reverts back to nationality or race because your American because your Korean because your Japanese because youre Venezuelan. As this type of thinking persist i have no hope of the world actually working together or becoming more stable in my life time.
Thank you for going into more detail about what your professor was referring too. that said, I'll admit I jumped the gun a bit, and posted an more accusing post.

1 Corinthians 10: 31-33
31 Whether therefore ye eat or drink, or whatsoever ye do, do all to the glory of God. 32 Give none offense, neither to the Jews, nor to the Gentiles, nor to the church of God. 33 Even as I please all men in all things, not seeking mine own profit, but the profit of many, that they may be saved.