LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
advertise (Offline)
アート

Send a message via Skype™ to advertise
Finance crisis - 04-10-2009, 04:14 PM

Hello everybody
I think, this is actual topic, because everyday we listen about it (and maybe feel it). So what do you think, when finance crisis end? In a few month, 1 year or maybe 2-3 years? And what do you think about all of this.

P.S. - Sorry for my English =)

Last edited by advertise : 04-10-2009 at 04:31 PM.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
kirakira (Offline)
己所不欲勿施於人

04-10-2009, 04:23 PM

For the US and UK? Possibly 5-10 years at the rate they are going. Asia is going to pull out of this mess the fastest.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
kyo_9 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Send a message via Yahoo to kyo_9
04-10-2009, 04:28 PM

damn, this is my final year degree.. I don't think I can work in this kind of crisis.. guess I have no other choice but to further my studies then..

LiVe Ur LiFe
Don't do drugs!

(#4 (permalink))
Old
savelyev (Offline)
New to JF

Send a message via ICQ to savelyev Send a message via MSN to savelyev
04-10-2009, 04:33 PM

i prefer to think that crisis gives a lot of opportunities for people who want to work and know how to work.
and i believe that crisis in the meaning of this word is the great possibility to change something maybe in you and maybe in your life.
so i am positive about crisis

курибухай компэни
(#5 (permalink))
Old
cridgit001 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Send a message via AIM to cridgit001
04-10-2009, 04:39 PM

I think it will end faster than people think. I know the DOW has been hovering around 8000 lately but the fact that it's not jumping around wildly shows some signs of stability. This will definately not turn into any "lost decade"(wiki that if you don't know what it is).
(#6 (permalink))
Old
fluffy0000 (Offline)
FJ to JF

again sorta not - 04-10-2009, 05:01 PM

Japans 'Lost Decade' 1992-2002?' Some would argue that Japan never climbed
out of the economic recession that saw the 2nd largest economy throw 'stimulus pkg.' after stimulus pkg. with no impact or effect.
The latest economic down cycle has pundits argue that Japan will weather this latest financial meltdown just fine? Note
However, that image has come crashing down as the Japanese government announced that the fourth quarter of 2008 saw the fastest contraction for the economy (in terms of GDP) in 35 years. A NYTimes article entitled: “Japan’s Economy Plunges at Fastest Pace Since ’74,” describes how the Japanese economy, which is heavily reliant on exports, is suffering heavily now that the effects of plummeting global demand is taking hold:
These Numbers posted after US 'stim pkg.' to Citi-BofA note this period is
during a period of a uptick in the Japans Stock Market for the same period.
Mar. 16,2009
The following are some of the well known Japanese companies with the month-to-date performance:

1. Sony (SNE) - 17.03%

2. Nissan Motor (NSANY) - 16.50%

3. TDK (TDK) - 14.53%

4.Kyocera (KYO) - 12.11%

5.Fujifilm (FUJI) - 6.29%

6. Hitachi (HIT) - 6.26%

7. Canon (CAJ) - 2.27%

Honda (HMC) and Toyota (TM) are down less than 5%.

Now these numbers are'nt bad compared to German and US companies during this same economic down cycle. But the Japans Stock Markets only represent 18% of their pre 1990 'Lost Decade' bubble value and this is 2009? Do the math it doe'snt take a rocket scientist to figure this out.

The Moral of Japan's Lost Decade
by: Lok Sang Ho February 24, 2009
My statistics indicate that Japan’s Lost Decade had much to do with the strong Yen. As an export-dependent economy, the strength of the Yen simply strangled the economy to a halt.

Put simply, Japan had experienced such strength in its currency that its export machine was stalled. With Japan’s huge population and small resource base, Japan had to rely on exports to provide employment and to be able to import. Theoretically, Japan could earn big investment income from abroad and recycle them, but while investment income from abroad did help tremendously, it is not reliable, and “recycling” is not so easy in a market economy that wants to minimize taxes and transfers.

The Yen had appreciated by 40 per cent against a basket of currencies by the end of 1993 and by as much as 56% by the second quarter of 1995. In contrast, the US dollar had depreciated by 11% by the second quarter of 1995. Although the Yen started falling after the middle of 1995, by 2000, the Yen remained 50% above the value a decade ago. Only depreciation of the Yen in the 2000s helped push the Japanese economy out of recession.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
komitsuki (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

04-10-2009, 06:05 PM

This financial crisis is perhaps better for Liberal Arts and social science people.

Liberal Arts and social science people have the communication skills and appreciate expanding their conventional skills.

My engineering uncle lost his job in a power plant, saying that any commerce, science or engineering university students who just graduated will have a very hard time for this recession.

It's time to celebrate the revival of liberal arts and social science... Let's party like the pre-baby boomer era