LinkBack Thread Tools
(#61 (permalink))
Old
TalnSG (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Send a message via ICQ to TalnSG
04-30-2009, 05:52 PM

Just an update...

The House Bill has been out of committee for a while and some technical editing is complete. It should come up for a Texas House voted next week. Only 75 of the 150 representatives have gone on record in favor of this, and the co-sponsors removed themselves when public sentiment turned against them.

Meanwhile an "identical" bill has been introduced in the Texas Senate.

Also, this does not pertain to privately run schools. The bill allows them to opt out and continue whatever prohibitions it likes. however, it not only includes "firearms", but a knives and clubs. urrently you can be arrested for having a baseball bat on campus unless you can prove you are on a baseball team. Does that explain why such a bill was even considered. The present law is extremely flawed, but this isn't any better.

Only an open mind and open heart can be filled with life.
Find your voice; silence will not protect you.

Last edited by TalnSG : 04-30-2009 at 05:55 PM.
(#62 (permalink))
Old
Atakicat (Offline)
JF Nomad

Send a message via AIM to Atakicat
04-30-2009, 05:57 PM

It's not too surprising.. There's an Open-carry initiative going around here lately also, Trying to expand the Concealed handgun permits.
(#63 (permalink))
Old
Pexster (Offline)
j'adore le baise tu

04-30-2009, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TalnSG View Post
All humans, when threatened are unpredictable and even more so under the influence of alcohol or drugs, which is prevalent in the college environment. Given the high stress levels and relative emotionally immaturity of the average college student as well, adding weapons to the mix is a remarkably stupid addition to the mix. I owned two firearms when I was in college - pistol and a rifle with a fixed bayonette. I found that people just knowing I had them and could use them effectively meant they never had to come down off the closet shelf except to be cleaned. Just because females have a greater tendency to premeditated crimes instead of crimes of passion, does not mean committing a crime with one is the much more unlikely.

Banning firearms on campus will never remove all of them, but it will deter those who don't have the incentive to work around the rules. And it will continue providing solid grounds for detaining anyone on campus found with one. If its illegal there is no recourse through claims of unreasonable seizure of private property. Still - I would prefer to see it limited to only lifting the ban on being able to transport them across campus - as in locked in my trunk while I am on campus so that I have access to it en route to and from the campus.
Honestly I can see where you are coming from, but what use do you have in having access to firearms on campus. Unless you are in a trap shooting club they shouldnt even be in your car. I am 18 and I have a 12 gauge shot gun that my grandpa gave me. i am personally on the trap team of my high school. now fire arms are illegal on campus, so students are requiered to bring their fire arms dissasembled, and we must purchase ammo from our teacher we can't bring the ammo to school ourselves. So idk making fire arms legal on campus is just stupid all around. There is no purpose for it unless you're in a trap club. I mean its not like I carry it around school, all students must put their dissasembled fire arms in a fire safe at the school that only one person knows the combo too. So I dont believe fire arms should be allowed on campus except for that one example I gave you.

A Dream Of Form In Days Of Thought

www.mydramalist.com

Eiri is my Property, Bitches.

Last edited by Pexster : 04-30-2009 at 06:34 PM.
(#64 (permalink))
Old
TalnSG (Offline)

04-30-2009, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atakicat View Post
It's not too surprising.. There's an Open-carry initiative going around here lately also, Trying to expand the Concealed handgun permits.
Yep, that is a big part of what we are talking about. The Bill's sponsor is from a Dallas suburb. Welcome aboard .
(I'm less than 30 miles from you ...... sometimes much less).

(#65 (permalink))
Old
TalnSG (Offline)

04-30-2009, 07:20 PM

Pexter, I really don't want guns on campus. However, the way the law is written there are problems for innocent people if someone wants to make trouble for them. Unfortunately the pending bills is even worse.

As it is now, if I have to drive 40 miles through an undeveloped area at 2am when I get off work, I would like to be able to defend myself if I run into trouble. But because I work at a university, I have to leave any and all weapons I own at home where they are of no use. I want it in my vehicle en route not 40 miles away. I do not want to be able to carry it around campus and certainly not into any building or gathering. But the current law says if I even drive across the perimeter of state property I can be arrested if there is so much as my chef's knife or a baseball bat locked in my trunk. Under the existing law my chef's knife is illegal because the blade is more than 4" long and a baseball bat it a club. If I go on a cross country trip and carry my registered and licensed .22, I have to take it home before I could answer a page to come to my office. Its unreasonable.

but instead of amending the law to correct the real problems with it, this Respresentative has gone overboard and tries to allow guns anywhere.

(#66 (permalink))
Old
Pexster (Offline)
j'adore le baise tu

04-30-2009, 07:29 PM

Just carry a leatherman with you, they are perfectly legal the blade doesnt exceed 3 inches.

www.mydramalist.com

(#67 (permalink))
Old
Aota (Offline)
Sol Rebel

Send a message via AIM to Aota Send a message via MSN to Aota Send a message via Yahoo to Aota Send a message via Skype™ to Aota
04-30-2009, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
This is the same state that eliminated contraception education from its schools textbooks and is now requiring intelligent design and creationism talk in biology textbooks. Don't tell Texas what they can and can't do.
I hate to agree with you, considering I am a Texan, but... Yea. :\ Freaking Texas...

The color of the sala flower reveals the truth that is... To flourish is to fall. The proud do not endure.

Heaven or Hell, Let's Rock!

Like a passing dream on a night in Spring. The mighty fall at last, to be no more than dust before the wind.
(#68 (permalink))
Old
Pexster (Offline)
j'adore le baise tu

04-30-2009, 10:35 PM

stubborn?.....lol..jkjk

www.mydramalist.com