LinkBack Thread Tools
(#11 (permalink))
Old
Ronin4hire (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

04-24-2009, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozkai View Post
By the way, did the Japanese culture originate from Korean culture?
The common view is that there are some aspects of Japanese culture that can be said to have been based on Korean or Chinese culture.... but I think saying that it originated from Korean culture is a bit simplistic and implies that Japanese culture lacks originality.
(#12 (permalink))
Old
TalnSG (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Send a message via ICQ to TalnSG
04-24-2009, 09:13 PM

Cultural differences are much like generational differences. They can be legitimate sources of conflict in a relationship. They have to be acknowledged and both parties have to come to an agreement on how to deal with them. But all too often its easier to call it quits and use it as an excuse instead of dealing with the issue.

Fortunately a serious cultural difference that reared its ugly head last week in my current relationship proved to me that when we want to overcome cultural, age and even language differences it can be done. It just takes a lot of understanding and careful examination of the potential impact.

Only an open mind and open heart can be filled with life.
Find your voice; silence will not protect you.
(#13 (permalink))
Old
rison (Offline)
JF Old Timer

04-24-2009, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyororin View Post
Presented in those words, in that sort of context, would indeed be an escape tactic - at least in my opinion.
If there is something you have misunderstood, or that the other party has misunderstood due to cultural differences - there is nothing stopping you from pointing it out. And if the other party is unwilling to see the root of the problem it is likely that it`s not a "cultural" difference.

Liking a culture, and living entirely within it`s rules are quite different. You can really love a culture and think it is great, but be completely unable to function in it. (Seen WAY too often with Japanophiles coming to Japan...) Obviously some of that is going to fall to personality, but a lot also falls to surroundings and experiences. Those sort of things set your attitude and can end up turning things quite sour. Not to even mention a difference in expectations..
I believe Nyororin said it brilliantly here with the bolded....To add to this is what excites a person may not necessarily make that person happy.

Orochimaru >>>>>Akatsuki,