JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Sublymonal (Offline)
Official Churro Tester

Okonomiyaki Recipe - 05-04-2009, 04:00 PM

I wasn't sure where to put this, so I just put it here

Anyway, I've got a big World History project coming up, and my teacher said we could get some extra credit if we made some food from the country we are studying [I got Japan].

So I'm looking for a good Okonomiyaki recipe! I've never made or eaten it before, so keep that in mind!

Meet ケイクヨ, the Cactus King!
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Atakicat (Offline)
JF Nomad

Send a message via AIM to Atakicat
05-04-2009, 04:02 PM

I found this recipie a while back, It looks great, but I haven't had a chance to try it out yet.

Making okonomiyaki, Japanese cabbage pancake | Lunch in a Box: Building a Better Bento
(#3 (permalink))
Old
kcyk8703 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

05-04-2009, 05:17 PM

Im not sure if you'll be able to find all the ingredients for needed to make from scratch if your not in Japan.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Atakicat (Offline)
JF Nomad

05-04-2009, 05:22 PM

Yeah, the nagaimo can be pretty hard to find (depending on where you live)
(#5 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

05-04-2009, 05:59 PM

Skipping seemingly small ingredients like nagaimo will change the final product for the worse. If you are buying all of these from scratch it might be an expensive addition to your project.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
Sublymonal (Offline)
Official Churro Tester

05-04-2009, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcyk8703 View Post
Im not sure if you'll be able to find all the ingredients for needed to make from scratch if your not in Japan.
This is where the internet comes in handy

The actual report isn't for a few more weeks, so that's plenty of time for delivery.

That, and there's some stuff I can substitute. For instance, I hear that Okonomiyaki sauce is very similar to Worcestershire Sauce, except it's a bit sweeter and thicker. [Though I'm still gonna try to get the sauce]

The only huge problem is that my world history class is 4th period, and you're supposed to serve them right after cooking...

I also know of a great market that specializes in foreign foods, so I might be able to find some stuff there

Meet ケイクヨ, the Cactus King!

Last edited by Sublymonal : 05-04-2009 at 06:15 PM.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

05-04-2009, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sublymonal View Post
That, and there's some stuff I can substitute. For instance, I hear that Okonomiyaki sauce is very similar to Worcestershire Sauce, except it's a bit sweeter and thicker. [Though I'm still gonna try to get the sauce]

The only huge problem is that my world history class is 4th period, and you're supposed to serve them right after cooking...
Do NOT substitute Okonomiyaki Sauce with Worcestershire Sauce, unless you want to make everyone sick.

I am thinking maki-zushi might be a better idea. You can make it in advance, and you probably know what it is supposed to taste like.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
Atakicat (Offline)
JF Nomad

05-04-2009, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sublymonal View Post
This is where the internet comes in handy

The actual report isn't for a few more weeks, so that's plenty of time for delivery.

I also know of a great market that specializes in foreign foods, so I might be able to find some stuff there
Talk to your teachers, see if you can bring a small electric griddle or something to class.. They can be bought fairly cheap, And you can smell up the whole classroom before serving ^^
(#9 (permalink))
Old
TalnSG (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Send a message via ICQ to TalnSG
05-04-2009, 06:55 PM

I really like both Worchestshire and Okonomiyaki sauce, but pleazzzzzzzzzze don't try to substitute one for the other. The only resemblance they have is the dark brown color.

As for making okonomyaki for the class, that seems like nearly certain doom.
While the recipe seems simple (and it is) being able to cook something that is a cross between crepe and stuffed pancake takes practice to get right consistently. For every time you cook it just right, there is likely to be one that is overcooked and tough, or undercooked and mushy.

Go for something you have made many times before, or at least something you can make ahead of time and bring in just the servings that turned out well. And having tried to eat cold and reheated okonomiyaki and its korean cousin - don't subject you fellow students to it.(bleh!) Its doesn't hold up as well as cold pizza.

I remember these extra credit projects, too. I still can't face a date stuffed with royal icing from when we studied Saudi Arabia.

Only an open mind and open heart can be filled with life.
Find your voice; silence will not protect you.