JapanForum.com

JapanForum.com (https://www.japanforum.com/forum/)
-   General Discussion (https://www.japanforum.com/forum/general-discussion/)
-   -   Mercy Kills: Yes, No, Maybe. (https://www.japanforum.com/forum/general-discussion/24948-mercy-kills-yes-no-maybe.html)

Hyakushi 05-04-2009 08:01 PM

Mercy Kills: Yes, No, Maybe.

I had a very intresting conversation (more on the line of argument) with a fellow coworker. We were discusing Mercy Kills and if it should pass in our state. If no one knows what Mercy Kills are, its when someone is ill or in pitiful state of being and a family member kills them or they kill themselves.
What are your veiws on this intelligently?.

(One rule for this discussion like every other debate, No Religious support (Not everyone believes in god or one god so no "Its gods choice when you die").

In my opinion I think people should have the choice to end there life if they are in a great amount of pain. Its their life and they should be able to make the choice of ending it. Some would say its suicide, which it is but when a person commits suicide they do not get there social security pention and there families do not recieve anything from the government. With the bill passing they will be able to collect some amount of money depending on their job and there social security. I also think there should be an age limit or some form of judging if the person really needs to die. Like maybe only the sick and people who are in a vegitible state should have the option of killing themselves but not a kid in school who is depressed because they got held back in school or something.

SephirothVVC 05-04-2009 08:21 PM

people can make whatever decision they want. the only thing thats really up for discussion is it its legal or not.

personally i think it should be legal because its their life, only they(and closest loved one if they cant think for themselves) should be allowed to make decisions in which the outcome affects them most.

Reavyn 05-04-2009 08:31 PM

First of all. It seems a bit tough to put a rule like that on a topic such as this due to the nature of the issue and the reasons why a lot of people do feel it is wrong. That being said, I'm not one of those people.

I think this should be aloud. How selfish is it for us to say that a person has to stay alive and suffer until their body completely gives out. We still aren't able to tell the difference between barely alive and dead anyways. I look at it this way. If I'm being kept alive in a hospital and am in a lot of pain. Not only does that suck for me, but it is putting a huge financial burden on my family. Not only do you have to deal with seeing a loved one in pain until they pass away, but you also have to pay for making them suffer long after they are gone.

Pexster 05-04-2009 09:01 PM

I agree with the ending life, if you are in misery.
But sometimes I regret they ever do.

MMM 05-04-2009 09:06 PM

I think we need to watch the words we use when talking about a sensitive subject. I do not know what state you are in, but here in Oregon we have assisted suicide laws allowing a doctor to assist a terminal patient with ending his or her life. I doubt this is intended for people who are simply sick or in a pitiful state, but those looking at a painful demise from a terminal medical condition.

I think "assisted suicide" is a better term than "mercy kill" .

solemnclockwork 05-04-2009 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hyakushi (Post 709458)
I had a very intresting conversation (more on the line of argument) with a fellow coworker. We were discusing Mercy Kills and if it should pass in our state. If no one knows what Mercy Kills are, its when someone is ill or in pitiful state of being and a family member kills them or they kill themselves.
What are your veiws on this intelligently?.

(One rule for this discussion like every other debate, No Religious support (Not everyone believes in god or one god so no "Its gods choice when you die").
[/color]

I don't agree with it, mainly because it IS an religious thing. To also top that off, when you go into territory like this, when is it to say before you start to kill off old people because there found "not viable"?

I don't know who made that comment, but to discard an serious point about some decisions and beliefs some people hold on how they view and make decisions, is not an good debate. On many subjects it is religious beliefs that make an difference on views (like this one), without those who is to say they have an point of view? That is not to say to debate religious points here, that's not allowed on this forum. Just don't discard someones else point for political correctness, you may not like there views but as long as it is an opinion, how is it wrong?

thcuteness 05-04-2009 11:39 PM

If a person fills like they should end there life I believe that they should have the right away to do so, cause well its there life. Just in a sensible, not over dramatic manner. Like jumping off a building or hanging themeselves.

Debi 05-05-2009 12:03 AM

I'm totally for mercy kill. As long it's for the good reasons.

There is a point where maintaining someone in life is more like torture than anything else.

Why having such an urge to maintain someone in life when all he does is suffering ?

I give you an exemple. You see a wounded bird in the forest. You know he will eventually die. What do you do ? Leave it there thinking "I'll let him live a little bit longer" or give him the mercy kill to supress is suffering ?

Mercy kill all the way baby.

solemnclockwork 05-05-2009 12:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thcuteness (Post 709539)
If a person fills like they should end there life I believe that they should have the right away to do so, cause well its there life. Just in a sensible, not over dramatic manner. Like jumping off a building or hanging themeselves.

What about people who deal with that, in an depressed manner? Does that mean that we shouldn't stop them from committing suicide? Even being there life, doesn't mean that they make the right decision or can make an sensible measure for themselves.

It's like saying "I can, I want to"

SephirothVVC 05-05-2009 12:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by solemnclockwork (Post 709488)
you may not like there views but as long as it is an opinion, how is it wrong?

Quote:

Originally Posted by solemnclockwork (Post 709569)
Even being there life, doesn't mean that they make the right decision or can make an sensible measure for themselves.

you said so yourself, they arent wrong for feeling that way about their own life