JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Reavyn (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Japanese hand gestures - 05-12-2009, 04:30 AM

I was wondering, besides the peace sign, what are some other commonly used hand gestures among Japan?

I've seen the putting of the thumbs against your temple with your hands facing out and doing kind of like a wave thing, though I'm not sure what it means...a teasing gesture of some sort?
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Nagoyankee (Offline)
中庸を得るのだ~

05-12-2009, 04:51 AM

The little finger can mean a "girlfriend" or "mistress".

Watch this commercial for "Paipo", the plastic pipe to aide you in stop smoking.

Fist guy says "I was able to quit smoking because of this." The second guy follows with the same line. The third guy shows his pinky and says "I had to quit my company because of a woman."

(#3 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

05-12-2009, 05:57 AM

To call someone over you will see people do the "come here" gesture (curling fingers toward body) but in Japan it is not done palm up, but palm down.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
MissMisa (Offline)
Fashion, Games + Art Mod.

05-12-2009, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
To call someone over you will see people do the "come here" gesture (curling fingers toward body) but in Japan it is not done palm up, but palm down.
That sounds familiar, I think I've seen it somewhere, perhaps on TV or something.

Interesting stuff~
(#5 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

05-12-2009, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagoyankee View Post
The little finger can mean a "girlfriend" or "mistress".

Watch this commercial for "Paipo", the plastic pipe to aide you in stop smoking.

Fist guy says "I was able to quit smoking because of this." The second guy follows with the same line. The third guy shows his pinky and says "I had to quit my company because of a woman."
In contrast, the thumb can mean "boyfriend", but both of these gestures are more used by older men than they are by the younger generation.

The OK sign with the palm facing the chest instead of facing out can mean "money", but if held too close to the crotch the meaning changes to "condom".

If you hold your hand with your fingers together pointed upward next to your ear and then spread your fingers as you raise your hand up slightly (like if you wanted to imitate fireworks with your fingers) it means "PA" which means "empty-headed". Like whoever you are talking about's brains disappeared in a flash.

Making an X with your index fingers tells a waiter or waitress you are ready for your bill.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
Reavyn (Offline)
JF Old Timer

05-12-2009, 07:14 AM

Quote:
If you hold your hand with your fingers together pointed upward next to your ear and then spread your fingers as you raise your hand up slightly (like if you wanted to imitate fireworks with your fingers) it means "PA" which means "empty-headed". Like whoever you are talking about's brains disappeared in a flash.
..as I was typing the fact that I've seen this gesture in a music video, I remembered which video... Papancake by Kusumi Koharu...and now I can't get it out of my head....
(#7 (permalink))
Old
SaintKat (Offline)
Veni Vidi Vicious

05-12-2009, 08:38 AM

Hey that's neat MMM I didn't know all that. Learn something new (and useful) every day .

Nobody is perfect.
I am nobody.
Therefore, I am perfect.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
Jaydelart (Offline)
ジェイデラート

05-12-2009, 08:45 AM

Quote:
I describe it as the "shoo" gesture, just with... another meaning.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
mandalina (Offline)
invisible

05-12-2009, 11:44 AM

deleted...

Last edited by mandalina : 05-13-2009 at 08:39 PM.
(#10 (permalink))
Old
SHAD0W (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

05-12-2009, 02:40 PM

Interesting stuff. Also, in pokemon, the ghost's you encounter in red version are doing the hand gesture for ghost lol

I'm sorry for all the bad stuff I said and all the feelings I hurt.. Please forgive me