JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Xarroc (Offline)
New to JF

Help my Best Friend - Japanese Farewell Help - 05-18-2009, 03:49 AM

Hi,

I have a great friend named Shiori. She is a foreign exchange student from Japan and has become very close in my group of friends and family. She is now departing to go back to Japan and we will probably never see her again. I really want to do something nice for her that is connected to a Japanese tradition or farewell. I really feel strongly that I need to do something kind for her.

Does anyone have any simple ideas (like a card, gift, ritual, farewell, etc) that is in correlation with the Japanese culture and will be simple enough for an American high school student to do. I want it to be very special and make her know that I respect and honor her culture.

Thanks,

John
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Nagoyankee (Offline)
中庸を得るのだ~

05-18-2009, 05:01 AM

I'm probably thinking in the opposite direction from you. While I completely understand that all your intentions are good, I would say that this farewell should perhaps be as American as possible in style if you want your friend to treasure the memory for a long time to come.

You said, "we will probably never see her again." She may never get to go back to America again as well. Would she be happier to receive things Japanese than American on this particular occasion? She will be back into the Japanese culture soon and be surrounded by real Japanese things/customs.

Imagine you've done a year of exchange in Japan and now you're going home. Would it make you very happy if I gave you a big bag of M&M's as a farewell?
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Henbaka (Offline)
Dark Passenger

05-18-2009, 05:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagoyankee View Post
I'm probably thinking in the opposite direction from you. While I completely understand that all your intentions are good, I would say that this farewell should perhaps be as American as possible in style if you want your friend to treasure the memory for a long time to come.

You said, "we will probably never see her again." She may never get to go back to America again as well. Would she be happier to receive things Japanese than American on this particular occasion? She will be back into the Japanese culture soon and be surrounded by real Japanese things/customs.

Imagine you've done a year of exchange in Japan and now you're going home. Would it make you very happy if I gave you a big bag of M&M's as a farewell?
What he said!

なんでやねん!
(#4 (permalink))
Old
ozkai (Offline)
X Kyoto

05-18-2009, 07:04 AM

Three times

American all the way in this case. She wnats to experience your country and be farewelled in true American style. Good memories for her to broadcast on her arrival in Japan.

As part of the farewell party/dinner, make a speech, and mention that you wish one day that you can go to Japan to visit her.

Let her know that you are very interested in the culture and country.

Keep in touch. Email's, regualr letter's, exchange books, etc.

You are lucky that you have a friend soon in Japan, and she is lucky that she has one in America.

EMBRACE!! Both be very happy that you have known each other..

A gift is from the heart.. Make sure that you include an American flag for her, and even better, An Australian one

Good luck to you and good luck for a safe flight for Shiori

Cheers - Oz