JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#11 (permalink))
Old
Sangetsu (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

05-21-2009, 12:43 AM

There are no special rights for GLBT people, everyone in Japan is protected by the same by the same laws. People here tend to be discreet about their sexuality, whatever it is. You'll rarely see straight couples holding hands or being intimate in public, and this is even more true for homosexual couples. People here do not "accept" homosexual behavior, they feel it's not their business to accept or deny, so it's not an issue to them.
(#12 (permalink))
Old
maninhat (Offline)
JF Regular

05-21-2009, 01:02 AM

this was really informing. i wasn't really planning on living there, but i think i may want to study abroad while im working on my undergraduate degree. to be honest i've been a little apprehensive about how people would react, i dont think i should worry now. ^_^
(#13 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

05-21-2009, 01:31 AM

In my limited experience the Japanese people I have talked to about it don't have strong feelings either way about gay people. However, if you ask "Would you care if your son or daughter was gay?" then opinions get stronger against the idea.

There are appropriate times to be open and there are inappropriate times to be open. If you can learn the difference you will do just fine.
(#14 (permalink))
Old
Haven (Offline)
JF Regular

Send a message via MSN to Haven
05-21-2009, 03:02 AM

I see. Well, again I appreciate it.
(#15 (permalink))
Old
ozkai (Offline)
X Kyoto

Thumbs up Gay Marriage - 05-21-2009, 03:21 AM

Some more interesting info. on the topic.

In a new example of Prop 8's potential global reach, today Japan's government announced that its nationals may marry same-sex foreign partners in places where gay marriage is legal, according to AFP.
Japan does not allow same-sex marriages at home, but the Justice Ministry has told local authorities to begin issuing certificates stating a person is single and of legal age, for those who want to enter same-sex marriages elsewhere.

Gay activists in Japan praised the move. "This is one step forward," said Taiga Ishikawa, who leads a gay support group. "Gay Japanese have suffered a disadvantage... although they should be able to marry in some countries overseas."

Same-sex marriage is allowed in Spain, the Netherlands, Belgium, Canada, South Africa and some US states. Regardless of how the Prop 8 ruling goes, expect a lot of gay Japanese immigrants coming to the States to marry, and possibly moving to California, which honors same-sex marriages from other states where it is legal.

The tide is definitely changing in the world. Japan is a powerful country that values honor and integrity. Hopefully they will allow same-sex marriages in their own country someday soon. Or maybe this is a move to purge themselves of their gays by giving them an incenvtive to move elsewhere.

Cheers - Oz
(#16 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

05-21-2009, 03:45 AM

I am not sure how saying "You are allowed to follow the laws of another country when you are in that country" is so groundbreaking.

I would be very surprised if this were an attempt by the government to purge the country of gays for reasons stated repeatedly above.
(#17 (permalink))
Old
Haven (Offline)
JF Regular

Send a message via MSN to Haven
05-21-2009, 04:30 AM

That's some good news. Like MMM stated, I don't see how different it is that Japanese citizens can follow laws of a different country if they are in that country. The purging idea seems ridiculous.
(#18 (permalink))
Old
ozkai (Offline)
X Kyoto

05-21-2009, 05:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haven View Post
That's some good news. Like MMM stated, I don't see how different it is that Japanese citizens can follow laws of a different country if they are in that country. The purging idea seems ridiculous.
Reading the Hague convention agreements you will be suprised at which and what laws Japan actually agrees with. A long problem for a long time

Cheers - Oz