06-03-2009, 06:21 PM

I use MSN and AIM
when i get a headset i'll use skype

(#12 (permalink))
Old
ozkai (Offline)
X Kyoto

06-03-2009, 11:40 PM

iAnother good feature for Skype is I simply talk without a headphone or mouthpiece..

I'm no tech master here but I believe my voice transmits through a possible mic on my web cam and of course the sound comes out of my Logitech stereo speakers..

This is my webcam, fairly old model now.. http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/we.../3480&cl=us,en

Cheers - Oz
(#13 (permalink))
Old
Sangetsu (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

06-03-2009, 11:53 PM

I have both Skype and Yahoo messenger. I use both (as some people I talk to prefer one or the other), but I like Yahoo better. I use Yahoo mainly for the telephone service, which I use to call my family in America. I also prefer Yahoo's interface, it's quicker than Skype, and offers more features.
(#14 (permalink))
Old
komitsuki (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

06-06-2009, 01:56 AM

And there's Ekiga, a less bloated alternative to Skype. Coming soon to Microsoft Windows.

Ekiga - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
(#15 (permalink))
Old
ozkai (Offline)
X Kyoto

12-13-2009, 02:17 AM

Happy to say that my son is still going strong with Skype..

It works wonders for me as my sons grandparents live 2500 kms South to where I am.

The Grandmother sings songs and does actions, and little Kai has a ball.

Cheers - Oz
(#16 (permalink))
Old
Encyclopod (Offline)
JF Regular

Send a message via MSN to Encyclopod
12-13-2009, 03:59 AM

I've never tried skype, but in my opinion MSN has the worst IM service. Messages constantly fail to get delivered and the client is bloated, specially with ads, but I stick with it since that's what most people use. Amongst my closest friends I use googletalk, it's the best IM service, years ahead of MSN, but I think it doesn't have webcam support in Linux, not sure if they fixed that already. What really surprised me most about googletalk, was when a time my ISP was having some trouble, googletalk would be the only thing that would work

I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes
(#17 (permalink))
Old
thcuteness (Offline)
Banned

12-13-2009, 04:56 AM

i feel like there no point in downloading skype considering i already use yahoo, but everyone uses skpe thing so ive been thinking about switching can some one give me the difference between skype and other instant messengers?
(#18 (permalink))
Old
ozkai (Offline)
X Kyoto

12-13-2009, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thcuteness View Post
i feel like there no point in downloading skype considering i already use yahoo, but everyone uses skpe thing so ive been thinking about switching can some one give me the difference between skype and other instant messengers?
I used MSN many years ago, although never really enjoyed it or had a reason.

I had one friend in Thailand, and it was only her a chatted with often. She's studying in the US now, and we communciate by sending messages through "Facebook" which to me is a pain in the butt and I find standard email much easier.

As for Skype.. I have downloaded the programme. I have a Logitech web camera. I wasn't really sure how to use it all in the beginning, although all I do is sit on the PC and talk. The person on the other end voice come's through the speakers beside my PC, and my voice, I am not really sure but I am guessing their is a mic in the camera.. I simply look at the monitor and talk.

As far as reliability goes, it works fine.. Obviously the picture is not Digital camera clear, but it's good enough.

The only benefit for me is for my son so he can keep in regular weekly contact with friends and family 2500 Kms away.

I live in Cairns which is located in Far North Queensland. Most family and friends are in Sydney, the UK, and a smidgen in the US and Hong Kong.

Like I said, Skype seems pretty perfect, no dramas and all good.

Cheers - Oz
(#19 (permalink))
Old
gobbledegook (Offline)
JF Regular

Send a message via MSN to gobbledegook Send a message via Skype™ to gobbledegook
12-14-2009, 11:04 PM

I'm more a Skype guy, except most of my friends can't be bothered to get it and think MSN is better. So I guess a mix of both is what I use.
(#20 (permalink))
Old
NanteNa (Offline)
sixth gun.

Send a message via Skype™ to NanteNa
12-15-2009, 10:49 AM

I type on MSN a lot. I HAVE Skype but I use MSN more. Tho, I'd say Skype is the best for online calls without having to show cam. ^^v GO SKYPE!

[ <-- Jordan's heart! \(Ò_ó)/ ]
Follow me on TUMBLR
"Well if a chick has a problem with the way I conduct myself I'd draw the bitch
a map to the nearest exit and stamp "fuck off" on her forehead."
- Pot Roast