LinkBack Thread Tools
(#41 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

06-17-2009, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aniki View Post
Do you consider yourself a comic book fan?
Yes, I am a fan of comic books. Are you going to categorize me?
(#42 (permalink))
Old
Aniki (Offline)
JF's Road Roller

06-17-2009, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
Yes, I am a fan of comic books. Are you going to categorize me?
Don't jump into assumptions MMM, I was just asking.
Since you're a comic book fan have you ever thought that you're an Otaku?
(#43 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
06-17-2009, 10:25 AM

I`ll jump in and ask - what exactly defines an otaku when outside of Japan?
I`m quite familiar with the meaning of the term in Japan, but not so much with it in the rest of the world.
I know exactly where my husband and I would fall in the Japanese categorizing scheme, but have no clue if that would mark us as "otaku" from some other country`s view.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#44 (permalink))
Old
Salvanas (Offline)
Great, just my luck.

06-17-2009, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by girigiri View Post

I'm not saying they HAVE to be. But what I'm saying is, people who call themselves some sort of label, need to grow up and realise that most people in the real world really don't give a toss.

What I'm saying is, people who say "I'm an otaku" or "I'm a/n (label)" is not mature, and I will never see them as a mature person, be they 14, or 60.

UNQUOTE

An interesting concept, but one with which I cannot agree. Adults do value social interaction, join in group activities, and take an interest in things beyond the mundane. I'm an otaku、football fan, member of a golf club or community support activities group, member of a 4WD club or of drama society or a chess club, or maybe a stamp or coin collector.... All it says is, I have a strong interest in something.

Some activities are considered worthwhile, and people who do not share a similar interest will tolerate and even encourage a person to talk about those activities. Other activities are considered less worthy of patience.
You see, there's a difference there.

A group, or club, is different than a label.

For example, do you see adults calling themselves emo/goth/punk/nerd/jock/prep or any of those? I've seen a few, and I've never taken them seriously. The word otaku is just another label. You read manga and watch anime? So do I. But I don't use the word otaku to describe myself, and nor should anyone else.

- “I've been lucky. I'll be lucky again.” -
(#45 (permalink))
Old
Salvanas (Offline)
Great, just my luck.

06-17-2009, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLastFortnight View Post
There's nothing wrong in being part of a group or something like that as long you enjoy it, it's the same to be part of a "clan" and call yourself "awesome", what is wrong is to use it as an excuse just to discriminate people.

Of course put a label or stereotype someone just because he/she does something like read manga or watch anime is utterly ludicrous.
That clan was just a joke clan, just made cause JF was filled with different anime clans. A parody you could say.

I dislike groups and labels. You see, the difference between a club, and a label, is that in a club/group, your personality isn't already judged upon.

Let me elaborate. If you join a golf club, you're not given any traits. Yet, if you cont yourself as, for example, an otaku, you're instantly seen as a freak and anti-social. Which is why it baffles me, when people call themselves a label, as if they're trying to prove something.

I listen to JRock, and basically only JRock/JPop. And I read manga and watch anime a lot, and I'm in love with Japanese culture. But never once, have I called myself an otaku, or anything else. I'm a normal human being, who has an interest in Japan.

To round off, what I'm trying to get to here, is that some people use these labels to try and get a point across, when they should realise no one gives a toss about what label they are. Not in the real world.

- “I've been lucky. I'll be lucky again.” -
(#46 (permalink))
Old
YukisUke (Offline)
Konichiwa, bitches

Send a message via AIM to YukisUke Send a message via Yahoo to YukisUke
06-17-2009, 04:48 PM

Just what is so wrong with being labeled an otaku? Before I begin to rant, can anybody explain to me why it's such a huge debate.
(#47 (permalink))
Old
mercedesjin (Offline)
JF Old Timer

06-17-2009, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YukisUke View Post
Just what is so wrong with being labeled an otaku? Before I begin to rant, can anybody explain to me why it's such a huge debate.
Well, I don't completely agree with this... but many people feel like otaku just think of Japan as anime/manga instead of a land of culture. A lot of otaku see Japan and think it's what they see in anime, and learn Japanese from anime (which of course can be very offensive, if someone happens to tell their superior "TEME!" because they watched Bleach or Naruto too much)... This can be irritating because otaku can give a bad name for other people interested in Japan.

Reading a lot of the comments on this thread have made me re-think that, though, and I'm agreeing more with the idea that otaku are just people who have a sincere interest, and it's not fair to label or judge anyone based on that.

LOVE: pass it on
(#48 (permalink))
Old
komitsuki (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

06-18-2009, 04:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YukisUke View Post
Japan has a combination of youth-related problems half-related to the otaku subculture. It is why otaku isn't perceived well with bitter tendencies.
(#49 (permalink))
Old
Tenchu (Offline)
-

06-18-2009, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
I never said I was middle-aged, but I am a reader of comics. Does that make me an "otaku"?
I don't even know what an "o-tako" is... is it Mexican food? Well, what ever it is, I'm guessing you won't be found too far away from it...

The eternal Saint is calling, through the ages she has told. The ages have not listened; the will of faith has grown old…

For forever she will wander, for forever she withholds; the Demon King is on his way, you’d best not be learned untold…
(#50 (permalink))
Old
Lionshead (Offline)
New to JF

06-18-2009, 12:10 PM

Ok, regarding the term Otaku,... it is true that the term Otaku sometimes has a negative stereotype however,

Otaku (おたく/オタク?) is a Japanese term used to refer to people with obsessive interests, particularly anime, manga, and video games. In modern Japanese slang, the term otaku refers to a fan of any particular theme, topic, or hobby. definition from wikipedia

If I said I was a otaku of japanese culture i would be "most likely" catagorizing myself as someone who fits those traits based on the definition, and not negatively sterotyping myself. Otaku is not a negative term. All it means is I really like something, like anime.

So i don't see anything wrong with just the term Otaku, its just the sterotype that goes with it. What I mean is... He/She is a Otaku so all i do is watch anime all day. Thats a stereotype because its not necessarly true and has nothing to do with the definition.

Here is another example...
If i am a Technican, I fix electrical equipement. Definition.
He is a technican that does not do much work. Opinionated Fact
I am a Technican as well as my friends, so we don't do much work either. Stereotype

Hope this helps...