JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
mastroiani (Offline)
New to JF

Cool Help a filmmaker from New York - 06-25-2009, 03:44 PM

Hi, I'm a filmmaker from New York and I'm interested if someone could help me in understanding what do people feel/think (young and old, but more specifically younger generation) about US occupation in Japan and then US military presence in Japan. Are Japanese offended? Do they feel embarrassed or need for revenge? Or maybe they don't care at all?

I'm working on a script for a film and I would like to know from Japanese themselves their sentiment so as not to be partial and try to depict as truthful as possible these feelings in the film.

I'd also be interested in collaborating with a talented Japanese writer or someone who wants to write for film.

I really appreciate your help and thoughts.

Thank you

Last edited by mastroiani : 06-25-2009 at 03:52 PM.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
bELyVIS (Offline)
JF Old Timer

06-25-2009, 04:55 PM

I think most Japanese don't think too much about it except maybe the older ones who remember. I do know that I, and most foreigners who looked American, felt really uncomfortable in August because that was when they showed the "A Bomb documentary fest" on TV. I got really strange looks and stares that month.
As for the military now, Okinawa hates the US being there because of the troubles the soldiers an sailors cause. Rape is the big one I heard about. But my wife, she's Japanese, believes that some of these girls are trying to get back at these guys for dumping them. Whatever the truth is, it causes hard feelings there.
Good luck on your film.

The World's only Belly Dancing Elvis Impersonator!
(#3 (permalink))
Old
mastroiani (Offline)
New to JF

06-25-2009, 07:22 PM

Hi, thank you. I guess the occupation itself maybe forgotten by the younger generation, but the US military presence sort of looms over nevertheless. It's very interesting.

Even though I will be shooting a fiction film, not a documentary, I still would like to have some kind of solid understanding and grounding as to how ordinary people, individuals feel about the subject.

thanks again
(#4 (permalink))
Old
burkhartdesu (Offline)
JF Old Timer

06-25-2009, 07:35 PM

Back in 2007 I stayed with a host family in Fukui prefecture.

I remember the "rapes" being a big deal-- my host family brought it up as dinner conversation. Them and the neighbors ranted for a while about the American occupation. All I could hang my head in shame and apologize for the whole of my people.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
Ryzorian (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

06-26-2009, 12:37 AM

I don't think you could call it an "occupation" so much anymore. It's more of an allied base in Japan. One should check and see how many joint excercises the US and Japanese militaries do. I think the Germans use an airbase here in the States, so it isn't unheard of. Was it an occupying force originally? sure, but we have had a stratigic alliance with Japan for decades now.

Most world threats are closer to Japan geographically than they are to the US, so logically, if the US is an ally, it would make sense to have at least a presence there. For me personally (being ex army), I consider it an obligation to defend allies with our blood..kinda what being an ally is about. I also think we made that commitment when they signed the treaty after WW2, so we should faithfully carry out that wich we pledged to do.

As to the rape issue, we should let the courts descide that. I will say that those found guilty of such behavior are a disgrace to the uniform and should be flogged..... I don't think I can comment much further on that and maintain my decorum, as the idea of dishonoring the flag they swore to serve, angers me greatly.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
mastroiani (Offline)
New to JF

07-04-2009, 07:41 PM

Thanks all for your replies. I really appreciate the input. When I say occupation I mean the historical occupation after WWII and then the continued presence of the US troops. I'm actually not looking to "blame" anyone for any crimes, I'm just trying to understand Japanese psychology and attitude toward several things: occupation, foreigners in general, inter-racial marriages in opposition to traditional family values, etc. I'm writing a fiction screenplay for a film, so I'm not trying to do an empirical research, so I want to get very subjective opinions of the Japanese themselves.

But I wonder if there is anyone Japanese from Japan that could reply to the post? Outsider's "insight" still remains an outsider.

Seeing that I don't have replies from the Japanese, I'm not sure what to conclude: either younger people don't know or don't care at all, or maybe they do and they don't express their feelings. Or maybe there are very very few Japanese on this forum?

Last edited by mastroiani : 07-04-2009 at 08:47 PM.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
nobora (Offline)
Fan Ichigou

07-04-2009, 08:45 PM

I was really interested in the Pearl Harbor bombing because it involved the US and Japan but also because thats my birthday. I read some books. How that day changed everything and not just for THe US who got bombed but for the japanese. yea I agree iwth the rest the younger generation kinda forgot about it but if you talk to the older people in japan they can tell you how it felt what was life like. If you talk to the generations over here in the states theyll talk about how it was unexpected and it was the japanese fault and that the US is strong. But I see both countys at fault.Please read this book.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 18702259.jpg (9.8 KB, 10 views)