(#22 (permalink))
Old
Tenchu (Offline)
-

07-30-2009, 04:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanX View Post
Actually, these guys are my heros.
This is a serious thread. Don't try and ruin it again.

The eternal Saint is calling, through the ages she has told. The ages have not listened; the will of faith has grown old…

For forever she will wander, for forever she withholds; the Demon King is on his way, you’d best not be learned untold…
(#23 (permalink))
Old
alanX (Offline)
The Psychedelic Traveler

Send a message via Skype™ to alanX
07-30-2009, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenchu View Post
This is a serious thread. Don't try and ruin it again.
Another thread that has nothing to do with Japan at all? Got it. In that case my heroes are:

Dalai Lama
Siddhartha himself
Einstein
Jesus
Ikkyu
Date Masamune
Oda Nobunaga
Sakamoto Ryoma
Thomas Edison
Benjamin Franklin
Jimmy Page
Robert Plant

Etc.

Oh, and Son Goku

猿も木から落ちる
(#24 (permalink))
Old
Undertherose25 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-30-2009, 05:56 AM

No links, sorry my laptop is running slow...it took forever for that picture to load I couldn't imagine finding links when a snail could out run it.

♥Proud Wife of a U.S. Airman♥

Dir en Grey
(#25 (permalink))
Old
komitsuki (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

07-30-2009, 05:58 AM

1. Pāṇini (or Panini): Indian grammarian. World's first linguist in a relatively strict sense.
2. Confucius: Arguably a great sociologist / social philosopher in a modern sense.
3. Mozi: Chinese philosopher who promoted "universal love"
4. Roh Mu Hyeon: The King of Public Relations
5. My American (now also Canadian) university professor who used to study in the USSR for his specific anthropology research.

JapanForum's semi-resident amateur linguist.
(#26 (permalink))
Old
Tenchu (Offline)
-

07-30-2009, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanX View Post
Another thread that has nothing to do with Japan at all? Got it.
Most threads are like that. What is your point?

Don't tell me it's taken you this long to work this out...

You're supposed to write a small artical about the Hero and provide links, also.

The eternal Saint is calling, through the ages she has told. The ages have not listened; the will of faith has grown old…

For forever she will wander, for forever she withholds; the Demon King is on his way, you’d best not be learned untold…
(#27 (permalink))
Old
komitsuki (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

07-30-2009, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertherose25 View Post
Seriously. You really want to respect bunch of students for starting a huge social destruction, that China still can't handle due to its socio-cultural reasons? As a proud descendant of a minority in "Communist China" (one of fifty-six represented people) who still respect the CCP, this is a huge insult.

JapanForum's semi-resident amateur linguist.
(#28 (permalink))
Old
Tenchu (Offline)
-

07-30-2009, 06:06 AM

Here's my second Hero:

Shinmen Musashi no Kami Fujiwara no Genshin, born in 1584 in Miyamoto village in the Mimasaka province of Japan.

Musashi belonged to the noble, Samural class.

He fought his first duel at 14, beating a man around the head with a stick. He died coughing up blood.

His next was some few years later. After that, he went on to fight all sorts of battles.

He fought in 3 wars, and during his lifetime he managed to win over 60 organized duels, mostly by murdering all his opponenets.

Earlier, he fought with swords. But later on, he often just used sticks or training swords, content he was invincible.

One account has it that he beat a man to death with the oar of his boat.

In the final months of his life, he composed Gorin no Sho. A Book of Five Rings. It is a guide for those studying the true Way of the Warrior. One of the best books ever written.

He was truly a great man.

(#29 (permalink))
Old
Tenchu (Offline)
-

07-30-2009, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by komitsuki View Post
Seriously. You really want to respect bunch of students for starting a huge social destruction, that China still can't handle due to its socio-cultural reasons? As a proud descendant of a minority in "Communist China" (one of fifty-six represented people) who still respect the CCP, this is a huge insult.
Yes. Heros have names and legends.

(#30 (permalink))
Old
Salvanas (Offline)
Great, just my luck.

07-30-2009, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenchu View Post
I don't think that is entirly accurate.

He started out very noble. But when Richard the Lionhearted of England showed up, Saladin had a problem. Richard was a seige fighter, Saladin liked pitched battles, to favor his numbers, cavalry and archers. Saladin ambushed Richard and divided his Army when it was on the march. If Richard had have fled, he would have lost half his Army, so he was forced to stay and fight. He won.

After that, Saladin "raped the land", literally. He burned every village and killed every goat. He cut down every forest and poisned all the wells and rivers. He was trying to hinder Richard and weaken him as much as he could. It was working.

When Richard arrived at Jarusalem, he realized he could not take the city. If he did, he would become a prisoner in it. This did not sit well with his friends, the Hospitallers (Warrior Monks) and Burgandy. Who were promised victory.

Richard did manage to make a few victories. At one time (I forget the city, was it Jaffar?), he rode out to Sladins Army on horseback alone, and shouted at them and taunted them to fight him. Saladins Army fled. Both Muslim and Christian historians believe it was Richards lone physical presence that did this.

So Richard could not take Jarusalem, but the peace he managed to barter with Saladin was the agreement that the city be open to all. Saladin agreed, and it was under his rule that the city was open, yet it was not his will alone that made that happen.

Almost 1,000 years later, the same war continues...
You are totally correct. But if Saladin was a bad ruler, and did not understand the situation he was in, he would have disagreed to open it to Christians.

But knowing fully well that he was going to die soon, he took that chance.

However, there was no bad blood between Saladin and Richard. There respected each other.

Let me find a clipping from Wikipedia.

However, Saladin's relationship with Richard was one of chivalrous mutual respect as well as military rivalry. When Richard became ill with fever, Saladin offered the services of his personal physician. Saladin also sent him fresh fruit with snow, to chill the drink, as treatment. At Arsuf, when Richard lost his horse, Saladin sent him two replacements.

Also, I'd like to brush on the fact that Richard, upon entering Acre, executed around 3000 Muslim prisoners. Saladin followed suit with the same ruthless example soon after.

- “I've been lucky. I'll be lucky again.” -
Closed Thread